• May 08, 2024, 08:33:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cruise Control while Cornering  (Read 360 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Cruise Control while Cornering
« on: March 18, 2024, 01:14:26 PM »

If I see longer stretches of road ahead with not too sharp curves, I regularily use the CC for comfort.

I noticed that if the corner is a bit tighter, the speed decreases and picks up again afterwards and I wonder why is that. Agreed, that is nothing to worry about, but I am just curious.
Is there a special sensor detecting the lean angle of the bike? Is this a safety function?

chisquare

• View Profile
Re: Cruise Control while Cornering
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 02:42:30 PM »

As the Ribelle/SS9 platform doesn't have a 6 axis IMU it would come to quite a suprise if there was a lean angle sensor. OTOH, the lack of a radar leaves no room for a different explanation. So color me puzzled.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 06:34:54 PM »

Could be a simple physics explanation or just the TC doing its thing or, everyone's favourite, a perceptual trick.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 12:09:27 AM »

The only angle sensor I ever seen was a tip over sensor to kill the engine and that's basically just a switch.

Never have seen the cruise control hold it rock steady, it tends to drift a mph or three on road conditions, grade etc. 
How steep is this curve you are going on? 

If you are leaning into a curve you are shifting the weight distribution / traction a bit, so it might just be a physics thing, gravity is acting more on the mass .vs. the fixed power input etc.

As for TC taking over and doing it, I don't think that would do it, and if TC did intervene wouldn't you get some sort of notice on the dash?  Anytime I hit a big bump or something that caused tc to do something it always blipped on my dashboard lights.

Just my thoughts.
Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 01:40:20 AM »

If the corner is a bit tighter than a normal "cruising curve", the tyres will be on a slightly smaller diameter the further leaned over you are....I'd equate it to a race bike's rpm raising slightly as it leans into and around a corner assuming it is doing the the "same speed", as the bike returns to "upright" the rpm will come back slightly to it's original rpm due to the diameter of the tyre.....assuming the speed doesn't change of course.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

karlh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 03:25:44 AM »

In a corner the tires are side loaded to provide the centripetal force to make the curve.  This increases their drag, hence the momentary speed reduction.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 03:46:49 AM »

How fast are you going to begin with
How tight is the turn
How far leaned over are you
One tends to slow down a bit around corners to begin with.

Aaron

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 04:03:22 AM »

If the corner is a bit tighter than a normal "cruising curve", the tyres will be on a slightly smaller diameter the further leaned over you are....I'd equate it to a race bike's rpm raising slightly as it leans into and around a corner assuming it is doing the the "same speed", as the bike returns to "upright" the rpm will come back slightly to it's original rpm due to the diameter of the tyre.....assuming the speed doesn't change of course.

Smithy.

This is it IMO. Happens on my Aprilia too.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 06:44:30 AM »

Smithy.

This is it IMO. Happens on my Aprilia too.

I notice it only very slightly on my Experia, it has an rpm readout and it varies as you lean over when rounding a corner even though you haven't necessarily changed speed...but not when the cruise control is on. Trouble with our Energicas is the fact that the speedo is taken from the motor rpm.

The Experia has a 6 axis IMU too.... so maybe it's tied into the system somehow..??

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 09:48:10 PM »

Smithy.

This is exactly the science behind it, nothing more than a smaller tire diameter covering a bit less distance per revolution but the speed ring is turning at the same rate thus no corrections for the CC.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 12:14:16 PM »

Thanks guys for solving that riddle!
I suspected that simple physics is behind that...
Pages: [1]