• May 07, 2024, 08:12:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Energica will be Plug & Play at Tesla Superchargers?  (Read 710 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Energica will be Plug & Play at Tesla Superchargers?
« on: March 21, 2024, 06:39:26 AM »

I heard a rumor that Energica is now working with Tesla for the Plug & Play charging at all the V3 & V4 Tesla Superchargers.

Can anybody here confirm or deny?

If so, I will skip the latest 43 FW update and wait for the 44 or whatever they will call it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Energica will be Plug & Play at Tesla Superchargers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:11:23 AM »

Energica has been ready to become compatible.  It's up to Elon to throw the switch on his end.
any changes to make it happen, essentially will have to happen on Elon's side of the table, and an adapter of course.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 09:53:20 PM »

I think fw43 would be worth it just based on the correction it does with Magic Dock superchargers.

without fw43 Magic Dock equipped superchargers max out at like 6 or 8 kw. With fw43 they will give the full charge rate.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 10:10:22 PM »

I think fw43 would be worth it just based on the correction it does with Magic Dock superchargers.

without fw43 Magic Dock equipped superchargers max out at like 6 or 8 kw. With fw43 they will give the full charge rate.
Yeah, but so far, the only Magic Docks are at 100% useless locations, less than a mile or so from real CCS chargers. Such as the one in Placerville, CA, which I have used. Yeah, a slow 7 KW charge, but I really don't care if that one works at all. I see no reason to use it again.

But I hear the update fixes a lot of bugs unrelated to charging.  And that alone makes it worth getting. But it will also charge better at many CCS fast chargers, including now working with a few that didn't work at all with Energica in the past.

There is not even one Magic Dock in the entire state of Nevada. I think Tesla has given up on the Magic Dock idea.  Perhaps they more are headed for the Plug & Play for all makes at all V3 & V4 Superchargers. I really like that idea.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 10:31:01 PM »

I dunno, I've never been a fan of Plug & Charge. I don't want to have to create an account and download an app just to charge my bike. I wanna rock up to a charger, tap my payment card and plug the bike in and then control the charge using an interface on the charger itself.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 01:34:40 AM »

Unfortunately, at least here in Florida, that seems exactly what you need to do with many of the chargers.  It seems every company that puts out a charger wants you to dl THEIR app, so they can spy on you, to activate their charger so you can charge.

Plugshare seems like it's trying to consolidate a lot of the crap, so you can use just one app to operate a range of other systems, which IMO is a really good idea, but so far from what I have been able to see, it's not catching on too fast.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 03:12:02 AM »

I dunno, I've never been a fan of Plug & Charge. I don't want to have to create an account and download an app just to charge my bike. I wanna rock up to a charger, tap my payment card and plug the bike in and then control the charge using an interface on the charger itself.
Tesla is unlikely to ever have RFID cards for their Superchargers, IMO.

The reason I hate the Electrify America chargers is because they usually require me to turn on my cell which I normally have turned off and takes many minutes to boot up. And then on a bright sunny day it is difficult to see what I am doing. But a few now do have working CC readers. But Many of the older EA fast chargers CC readers are still trying to use the 3G system that no longer exists.

I already have a Tesla account as I do own a Tesla. I do not even use my cell for my Tesla. I have key ring, card,  the FOB,  to open frunk and trunk and to run the car.

But nothing can be easier than just simply plugging into a charger and walking away. One button for a Tesla.   Opens my charge door via wireless from the Supercharger right from the charge plug.

I have an RFID card for every type of CCS charger possible which I have ever used of those available and I use those cards where possible.  But I like the idea of not needing anything at all and just plug in and charge and walk away.

It's not a big deal to download an app one time and then never even have to turn on the cell again once the account is set up. Mine was setup in year 2018.Never needed to look at it again and my account still works for the Plug & Play at Tesla Superchargers--for my Tesla.

One exception was when I used it on the Tesla Supercharger with Magic Dock in Placerville, CA to charge my non-Tesla" Energica Experia. Was a hassle to use, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 10:53:53 PM »

I love being able to just plug in and walk away. I will ride 20 miles past an EA charger with a 10 rating on Plugshare to go to a 6 rated EVgo because I love Autocharge+

Knowing Elon thinks the screens and CC readers are a failure point he will probably lean into the plug and charge, Autocharge model.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 12:14:17 AM »

I love being able to just plug in and walk away. I will ride 20 miles past an EA charger with a 10 rating on Plugshare to go to a 6 rated EVgo because I love Autocharge+

Knowing Elon thinks the screens and CC readers are a failure point he will probably lean into the plug and charge, Autocharge model.
Elon has that correct. I have seen both issues many times with CCS chargers.

BTW, Every EV-GO I have ever used is now out of service.

EV-Go is removing all their 50 KW chargers and I think they are now all out of service. At least all the ones I have used. All have been out of service for more than a year.  I hear some will be replaced with new 350KW chargers others will not be replaced at all, just removed. Whatever they are doing, they sure have been slow about it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 02:02:28 AM »

I only use RFID cards when out of the country, nearly all the rapid chargers in the UK just take debit/credit cards and that's the way to go.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 02:33:03 AM »

I only use RFID cards when out of the country, nearly all the rapid chargers in the UK just take debit/credit cards and that's the way to go.
The RFID cards have a nice advantage over the CCs.   With the RFID cards, you can check the status of the charge when away from the charge station.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 08:46:58 AM »

The plugshare app is trying to combine most of the stations from what I understand so that you can just use that app to do it all.
It sure would be nice to be able to just fire up one app, find a station, plug in and pay for it with just that one app and not have to download 20 other apps just to be able to use their service wherever it happens to be, and be able to use that one app to monitor your charge as well.

I have not used the app too many times, most of my running has been within like an 80 mile radius so I can make it there and back on one charge, or I have planned to charge at one specific place when I am about, but still. having to make an account and load up all the different chargers on the phone is a real pain.   As for carrying all the RFID cards, that is an even worse pain in the ass IMO.  Now you have to juggle the eq of a bunch of extr a credit cards now too.  Im trying to get away from HAVING to have a 3 inch thick wallet.

Aaron

PS  maybe with the tesla adapter dongle, we can just pull up to a parked tesla in the parking lot, plug in and siphon some juice out of them, like a garden hose in the old days LOL.

Zekoslav_Mrkva

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 11:42:04 PM »

I signed up for the Autocharge+ and have used it successfully several times since the start of the year, but last week when I used the EVgo station (at Whole Foods in SF) the Autocharge+ kept showing an error message.  The CC reader would not work, either.  I had to fish out my EVgo RFID card to get it to work.
2024 Energica Experia

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 12:10:06 AM »

All,

I had a plug and play experience (Update 43 on Experia) at a local Supercharger.  I did have the Tesla ap on my phone, and communication between the phone, charger, and Experia were fine.

Minor glitch afterwards - red warning triangle lit up on dash after starting.  Shut it off and restarted and light went off.  Lit up the next day, but has been off for weeks since.  I think this may have happened because I plugged in before shutting off the ignition.

Get it while you can - with Musk's insanity, you never know.  One good thing about the Tesla diaspora - staff will certainly be able to help other EV companies - ignoring their NDA's!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 01:43:24 AM »

All,

I had a plug and play experience (Update 43 on Experia) at a local Supercharger.  I did have the Tesla ap on my phone, and communication between the phone, charger, and Experia were fine.

Minor glitch afterwards - red warning triangle lit up on dash after starting.  Shut it off and restarted and light went off.  Lit up the next day, but has been off for weeks since.  I think this may have happened because I plugged in before shutting off the ignition.

Get it while you can - with Musk's insanity, you never know.  One good thing about the Tesla diaspora - staff will certainly be able to help other EV companies - ignoring their NDA's!
What Tesla SC  location was that?  Are you using a Magic Dock Supercharger?  Or did you manage to get it to work with a Tesla to CCS adapter (which I don't think is possible with the 43 FW) on a non-Magic Dock?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X