• May 04, 2024, 07:03:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lightning Strike real talk part 2 interview with the current owner of the moto  (Read 3742 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

The argument "this is the way it has always been done'" has no weight.

A design that disperses the battery packs in a crash is a valid one.  You might disagree, but it is a plan.

If sitting with a plastic tub of explosive between your legs was as much a problem, more ICE bikes would have a problem, too.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NEW2elec

• View Profile

Crissa it costs money to make battery protection.  If tests showed it wasn't needed they wouldn't do it.
Bad things happened while testing so now they have protection.

I don't ride gas bikes either.   There are plenty of videos of those burning away too.

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland

I realize I sound waaaay more excited about Lightning than I should, but after visiting their shop a few times and riding their bikes, it's hard not to be excited.  I've had chats with people who've gone on test rides and put down deposits immediately after, and I 100% understand why.

The company is taking a long time to deliver bikes, yes, but they're worth the wait.  It's hard to explain why unless you've ridden one.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

Tesla doesn't make motorcycles and the batteries they make are inches from the ground.

This is not a reason to say it's unsafe.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NEW2elec

• View Profile

But Sam who has ridden a real finished Carbon Strike?  I don't believe one exists.  If it does give it to the guy in the video.
A bike with a 10kWh battery is going to feel very quick and nimble compared to a 20kWh bike.
Can't you see that? (no anger or judgement but a real question)

I saw your last YT video so it looks like your going to go through with it so like I always said I hope for the best for you.  I feel you know what your getting into and love it anyway.  Hey I love Jaguars and I've had them so I get that you love what you love.

But at this point I feel we need to warn people who don't really know much about any electric motorcycles that this isn't like getting some Honda.  There is real risk with the purchase, the down payment, and rider safety at this point.  If someone wants to roll the dice and see what comes up it's their risk to take.

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland

Adding 30lbs to the bike won't change a whole lot handling-wise, and the added power will help.  At the moment I'd compare Lightning to Lotus.  They're a small company making lightweight sportbikes when no one else is.  I'll keep supporting them for that exact reason.  Until someone else makes a bike like they do, Lightning is necessary.

Also, until one of their bikes lights on fire or becomes an "unstoppable plasma ball" I'm going to disagree that they are unsafe  ::)

In regards to production, I have a feeling the trade tariffs last year and the virus this year were both responsible for delays.  Should they make an update to let people know what their plans are?  Yeah, totally.  I really hope they do.

NEW2elec

• View Profile

Sigh, didn't they tell you they wanted to use 2170 cells for the Strike?  I could be wrong on that one but that's what I seem to remember some how.
A Zero Power tank is 3.6kWh and is like 45lbs.  I know they are potted but still.  Most of us called BS on the weight difference between the three bikes when the stats were released.

I just hope your not the one who finds out if they are unsafe or not.  Good luck man.  Stay safe in the big Z.

I love Lotus too by the way.  Their new electric Evija is just fantastic, and like 2 million but still.  :)

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland

Thanks man!  Hey if anything good or bad happens, I'll be sure to catch it on video  ;D

And yep, the difference in weight is the difference in cell chemistry.  The Standards (as we've seen) have pouch cells like Zero and Energica, and the Carbons will have cylindrical 2170 cells.  That's all I know though.
Pages: 1 [2]