• May 04, 2024, 08:42:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Lightning Motorcycles?  (Read 9608 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Whatever Happened to Lightning Motorcycles?
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:04:15 AM »

Rideapart has an interesting article on Lightning Motorcycles.

https://www.rideapart.com/features/455680/what-happened-to-lightning-motorcycles/

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to Lightning Motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »

If they've only made a few bikes, why can't they fess up to it?

I wonder why it is that some of their stuff is so interesting and other parts half-assed.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:27:03 PM »

This is phenomenal.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 03:50:31 PM »

So the article got noticed by Richard and he invited Sabrina to come out to Lightning and see what they are building! I think it is safe to say not much at this point.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 04:23:10 PM »

Hope she's taken lessons in self defence.

Cas :)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 05:27:03 PM »

I posted about the glassdoor comments on the rideapart web site. Wonder if he checked out the web site! I think in the end Lightnings success has been crippled by Richard's lack of managerial skills. There are a lot of positive comments about face to face meetings and interactions but I think those who work for him see a very different Richard than the one customers may see.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:39:53 PM »

The open invitation to stop by on Friday afternoons and the part about the factory in China seems missing from the article.

A lot of this electric motorcycle stuff is for articles with paying ads.

Was kind of amusing the folks that essentially jump to the defense of Lightning for delivering bikes with smaller batteries that will be replaced and then it turns out the controler won't work with the larger higher voltage battery promised.  How is that going, nothing in this article.  Nothing to the effect more than the battery is sub spec to what was promised.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:41:25 PM by Fran K »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »

How is that going, nothing in this article.  Nothing to the effect more than the battery is sub spec to what was promised.
The article did mention the bikes had a smaller, crippled battery pack.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 02:00:18 AM »

Also no mention that Lightning lost their location and are now renting a small corner of Corbin's factory in Hollister.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 04:21:24 AM »

Also no mention that Lightning lost their location and are now renting a small corner of Corbin's factory in Hollister.

Now that is interesting.  After moving into a big new modern building in San Jose and showing off photos of their  factory in China, they are now hanging out in a corner of the Corbin factory? My how the mighty have fallen.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »

There was an update to the Rideapart article which I found VERY interesting!!!

Update: After looking closer at the Lightning Motorcycle Owners group we found (which might or might not be the one referred to by the commenter), we noticed that the group is run by CEO Richard Hatfield and that one of the buyers who confirmed having received their LS-218, Guido Seibt, is currently listed as "working at Lightning Motorcycles".

So it seems it takes an invitation from Hatfield to be apart of this exclusive Facebook group! Not going to allow riders who are interested in Lightning motorcycles to see what real owners are posting or to ask them questions about their bikes!

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 01:01:54 AM »

It's ok the moles I have in there say there's literally nothing happening.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 09:10:58 PM »

If they've only made a few bikes, why can't they fess up to it?

I wonder why it is that some of their stuff is so interesting and other parts half-assed.

-Crissa
I've never had any direct-interaction with them, but from everything I've read (here, various facebook groups, journalist interviews, other wbe forums) it at least looks simple:
The owner/CEO doesn't really have the personality, skills or interest to run a business with retail customers.
While clearly he's interested in e-motorcycles, and has done a lot of development work on them, there's the problem of finding funding for it, whereas it's not a field with too much sponsorship money. Making production consumer e-motorcycles for retail, which are pretty expensive and sold only to the higher end market, requires full attention.
I've no idea what Hatfield's funding sources have been up to now, but it can't have been retail customers in any major way.

I've scoured the web multiple times, and it appears very unlikely the company has sold more than a mid-two-digit number of bikes ever since 2014, and that includes one-off projects to racers. Certainly no real consumer bikes at all (like the one thatwas reviewed in the videos here).

So the company's communications are severely lacking -- one of the missing skills -- and this going off on tangents (like enclosed bikes, a completely different market) long before the existing products have been sorted technically as prototypes, let alone productized, is typical of someone who's an inventor type, not an entrepreneur.

I've known plenty of both, working at a VC, and someone who's solely an inventor will never found a successful business, unless there's a closely-associated entrepreneur.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:16:18 PM by wavelet »

hiura

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »

Lightning strikes me as a company for a venture capitalist to wait around for to snatch up when it inevitably goes bankrupt.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 02:10:24 PM »

Lightning strikes me as a company for a venture capitalist to wait around for to snatch up when it inevitably goes bankrupt.
Why? What value would the company have? I doubt there's any significant inventory of working salable bikes, there's no customer base that's worth money, and any stocks of components would be small as they only build to order. The name doesn't have goodwill value at this point either.

Sometimes a company's worthwhile buying to keep an R&D team together,  but the GlassDoor reports are pretty bleak about that.
I'm sure there's a lot of knowledge & experience that Hatfield and maybe a couple of others have, but for that you'd hire them, not buy the company.

Also, VCs don't make investments like that. Maybe you're thinking of private-equity funds? Completely different animal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7