• May 04, 2024, 06:19:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: I ordered a Lightning.  (Read 6159 times)

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland
Re: I ordered a Lightning.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 12:22:54 AM »

So everything is exactly just as waterproof as a normal motorcycle?  Which all warn against power washers.

Just to clarify.. 3 years ago Richard told me the AIM racing dash wasn't waterproof (it's usually used in cars).  This was a concern because I just replaced my Zero's dash for that reason.  The bigger issue was that there wasn't a sealed battery box, or a battery box at all, so all the individual cells were open to the elements.  I'm sure things have improved since then, but the bike wasn't ready for rainy day rides at that time.  I'm excited to see photos and videos of what the bikes look like now to see if any of those improvements were made.

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2023, 03:51:41 AM »

Sweet. Would love to see feedback when you get it.

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2023, 04:18:38 AM »

Just to clarify.. 3 years ago Richard told me the AIM racing dash wasn't waterproof (it's usually used in cars).  This was a concern because I just replaced my Zero's dash for that reason.  The bigger issue was that there wasn't a sealed battery box, or a battery box at all, so all the individual cells were open to the elements.  I'm sure things have improved since then, but the bike wasn't ready for rainy day rides at that time.  I'm excited to see photos and videos of what the bikes look like now to see if any of those improvements were made.

I reviewed some of the older "Test Mules" it it appears they use an older AIM Display
https://www.aimshop.com/pages/bike-displays
Older Display
https://www.aimshop.com/products/aim-mxp-strada-6-tft-dash-display-with-race-icons
AiM MXP 1.3 Strada 6" TFT Dash Display with Race Icons
 Technical -
- Waterproof: IP65

I am not sure of the name brand of the newer displays, but from looking at the bikes they were building, it appears to be waterproof as Richard told me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 04:25:02 AM by Apollo »

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2023, 05:11:34 AM »

The bigger issue was that there wasn't a sealed battery box, or a battery box at all, so all the individual cells were open to the elements.
I have taken a pretty good look at this and asked Richard a couple of times about watertightness.  I think Richard is suspecting I am going to start building bikes using all the info I have taken.  I have some pictures of bikes they were assembling so some pics are Strike C and some are Strike R.  The battery box and front end are the same.
The picture of the top of the battery box is milled aluminum so no water, fingers, or screwdrivers are sneaking in.
The back portion of the pic shows the EMS which is water-cooled and open as they were assembling it.  There is an aluminum top that bolts on to seal the whole thing up.  Both sides of the battery box are milled solid aluminum and become part of the frame.

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2023, 05:22:50 AM »

Here is a picture of a Strike C during assembly.  This pic shows the front of the battery box behind the front tire.
That is a milled solid aluminum plate and should provide some pretty good protection.  There is a second plate like this that bolts in from the top providing full battery protection from rocks, roadkill, and slow GSXR's.   ;D

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2023, 07:23:15 PM »

What's the date of that picture they sent you?
Id want pictures of MY bike being built, not stock photos of 4 years ago.

Also, in general.

This whole waterproof concept.....

Waterproof and Pressure Washer shout NOT be in the same sentence EVER !!

Plenty of stuff is waterproof, but will get destroyed by a pressure washer.
There are several orders of magnitude difference between getting rained on, or even a garden hose sprayed on something .vs. a 3000 psi targeted stream of water.

Solar panels are waterproof, they have to be, but a pressure washer will ruin them, it tears the seals out, then they are no longer waterproof.  Having water blown at 400 FPS up under a seat to drip into a charger, the bike would never see that under ANY normal conditions.

also, water proof / water resistant.

it may handle being out in the rain overnight or even for a few days, but not designed to be at the bottom of a retention pond for a few hours until the tow truck hauls it out.

just saying
aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2023, 08:30:53 PM »

My watch is "waterproof" for SCUBA, but specifically warns against diving into water and exposing it to pressurized water sprays.  What we need to know is whether the bike has sufficient protection from rain while being ridden, sufficient to turn the SPRAY into just "water."

Richtea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2023, 02:35:27 AM »

Well done, Apollo, for being calm, calculated and positive, putting your money where your mouth is, and for all the due diligence that you're sharing with us. Much appreciated.

I hope your faith is rewarded with a good bike. ;)

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2023, 10:09:50 AM »

What's the date of that picture they sent you?
Id want pictures of MY bike being built, not stock photos of 4 years ago.

The dates should be fairly current as I took all of them this last week of my bike and another being built.
The battery pack boxes on the bikes are the same, so some pics are a Stike C and others a Strike R (Mine).
I took pictures the best I could while staying out of the way of the techs.  I am not a professional journalist, but
they didn't have any issues with me taking pictures of my unassembled bike.

Today's picture of my bike, 99% assembled and ready for testing. 

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 06:01:57 PM »

I just hope things have improved since Brandon made these videos three years ago:

1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2023, 11:17:02 PM »

I just hope things have improved since Brandon made these videos three years ago:

I've never met Brandon, but it appears to me he has an agenda.  His poor acting and pretending to be innocent is overwhelming.
Although he has no formal training in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Medical Degrees, he claims that at his last "real job" he built a "Bionic" implant that is inserted in someone's eye to restore vision to some blind people.  Maybe he cleaned the floors at the facility where they were manufactured.  That would match his level of education.
  Anyone who is even slightly familiar with how the US medical system knows we don't let high school graduates build bionic implants for blind people.  This is so laughable that we have to keep watching to see how far his lies will go.  After building himself up as someone who restores vision to the blind, you place absolutely no value on anything he says after this, it's just for comedic value.

I wasn't at his bike test sessions, but I would suspect he somehow got a hold of a preproduction bike and tried to make a living out of showing how the bike didn't live up to full expectations.  The bike he rode performed so badly, that I am sure any owner would be back at the place of purchase to repair the issue.  There obviously is something wrong with the bike.  But instead of working with the manufacturer, he proceeds to try and do a power and speed test.  I would not be surprised at all if he didn't disconnect one of the windings of the motor or run it while the battery was almost dead. This was his report while he was trying to get employment with two other E-Motorcycle manufacturers. (He failed).  I find it laughable that NO-ONE else has had these reported issues except for Brandon.  Trouble seems to follow Brandon more than Lightning.  I do recommend watching his videos for the laughs.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2023, 11:25:47 PM »

I've never met Brandon, but it appears to me he has an agenda.  His poor acting and pretending to be innocent is overwhelming.
Although he has no formal training in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Medical Degrees, he claims that at his last "real job" he built a "Bionic" implant that is inserted in someone's eye to restore vision to some blind people.  Maybe he cleaned the floors at the facility where they were manufactured.  That would match his level of education.
  Anyone who is even slightly familiar with how the US medical system knows we don't let high school graduates build bionic implants for blind people.  This is so laughable that we have to keep watching to see how far his lies will go.  After building himself up as someone who restores vision to the blind, you place absolutely no value on anything he says after this, it's just for comedic value.

I wasn't at his bike test sessions, but I would suspect he somehow got a hold of a preproduction bike and tried to make a living out of showing how the bike didn't live up to full expectations.  The bike he rode performed so badly, that I am sure any owner would be back at the place of purchase to repair the issue.  There obviously is something wrong with the bike.  But instead of working with the manufacturer, he proceeds to try and do a power and speed test.  I would not be surprised at all if he didn't disconnect one of the windings of the motor or run it while the battery was almost dead. This was his report while he was trying to get employment with two other E-Motorcycle manufacturers. (He failed).  I find it laughable that NO-ONE else has had these reported issues except for Brandon.  Trouble seems to follow Brandon more than Lightning.  I do recommend watching his videos for the laughs.

This kind of bullshit is why I rarely watch video product reviews, only written.  Lazy, ignorant people can blabber on, but it seems they don't want to write.  So it helps weed them out.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2023, 04:15:57 AM »

I would not be surprised at all if he didn't disconnect one of the windings of the motor or run it while the battery was almost dead. This was his report while he was trying to get employment with two other E-Motorcycle manufacturers. (He failed).  I find it laughable that NO-ONE else has had these reported issues except for Brandon.  Trouble seems to follow Brandon more than Lightning.  I do recommend watching his videos for the laughs.

You've covered a lot of ground in this post that, I feel, warrants a response. Brandon is/was a programmer. He worked as a programmer at a place called Second Sight that was working on designing a bionic eye. As far as I know he did programming for the company for the software the eye used. https://spectrum.ieee.org/bionic-eye-obsolete

There were two bikes shown in the three videos. In videos one and two they were the Strike Carbon belonging to Jeff C, a guy who lives near me. He paid the full $20k and was given a 10kWh pack at 100ish volts and that's how the bike performed. It was always referred to, by Lightning, as production.

The second bike, the one with the glue stick and the acceleration tests, belongs to James G. Same story with the 100v and 10kWh pack with no DC fast charging. James' bike eventually got basically every component swapped (battery, controller, motor, etc). These are real customers with real bikes that were referred to as production. Please talk with Jeff or James if you want. I can get you their contact information.

This kind of bullshit is why I rarely watch video product reviews, only written.  Lazy, ignorant people can blabber on, but it seems they don't want to write.  So it helps weed them out.

That's funny because, due to the laughable state of modern 'journalism', I do almost the exact opposite.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 04:18:56 AM by MVetter »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2023, 06:01:46 AM »

With the deep fakes and AI now, you can't trust either source.
coming right from the horses mouth, might be the horses ass with a skin planted on it!

can you name / find even one item, that's fairly popular, that there are not 100 videos and reviews that half love it, the other half, it totally sucks??

Aaron

Apollo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2023, 02:51:32 AM »

I received a call today letting me know my bike will be ready for pickup at the end of the week.
Now I have to see about renting a trailer for pickup and check in with the Hollister DMV about ensuring
I can make an appointment, ensure the Insurance is good, and schedule time off work.
Yea!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10