• May 05, 2024, 02:01:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Newbie with a stupid question  (Read 2501 times)

Reaper

• View Profile
Newbie with a stupid question
« on: May 19, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've got a quick question that I was hoping that somebody could help me out with.

Next month I want to begin converting a motorcycle to electric. I bought a frame for 200 bucks, and I am pretty sure that it's this guy right here: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/Yamaha%20XJR400%2093.jpg a Yamaha XJR 400.

Since it's my first electric vehicle, I am not expecting miracles. I don't care if it has a 10 mile range and a 35mph top speed. For that, I am thinking of using this conversion kit: http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/pk-el-m8-a-npx.htm

There are two problems. One problem is that I am a big guy (320 lbs. Hey, I like to lift weights, what can I say?) another problem is that I don't want to drop my life savings into this. That kit looks reasonably priced and since I've been saving up for it, it will be within purchasing range next month.

I've been doing as much reading as I can, and I still can't find anything resembling a weight limit on the Etek-R motors. They say that the Etek-RT is wound for torque and would be more appropriate for a guy my size, but like I said, I am not expecting 100mph out of this thing. I just don't want the motor to overheat and blow up on me.  As long as it doesn't blow up and die on me, 25mph is cool with me, something more along the lines a a scooter.

Could I use the Etek-R provided in the kit or will I have to omit that item, and wait until I can ebay a better motor that doesn't cost 100 bucks more?

Thanks for any advice.

picasso

• View Profile
Re: Newbie with a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »

I think that motor is a good option for a first bike. The only thing I would change is not to go with the NPX, You should go with one from the AXE line. You gain the option of setting amps, ramp up and the such. This will better help match with the current your batts will be able to sustain when you get some. The MARS motor takes a good amount of abuse aka heat. Another option is the Lynch motor its a good deal lighter but dosnt have the mass of the mars for dealing with heat. The MARS will be a good first time ev motor. Top speed chain drive your looking at around 30mph at 48 volts is my guess. Another nice option on the MARS is the price. Killing a $400 buck motor Vs a $1k is much nicer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:47:57 AM by picasso »

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »

Fantastic Picasso, thanks very much for the reply.  That was exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. 

I am TOTALLY willing to upgrade the materials on the emotorcycle later but as you quite appropriately mentioned, it's better for cheaper materials to blow up rather than expensive ones.

I work on a college campus where the speed limit is 15mph anyway.  The purpose of this vehicle would be to visit other buildings for support calls and the like.  A days commuting might be at best a mile and a half. 

I would hope for that kind of usage, this vehicle would be appropriate.  For commuting my 13 mile one way trip, even if it cost 3000 dollars to upgrade to a better controller, motor and batteries later... it would then beat the commercial alternative, let's say a Vectrix, at nearly 8K.

Advantage ecomodding I think :)

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:04:55 AM »

I agree with picasso, and the only limit to weighing a bit more is the bike will take longer to accelerate, and go a bit slower up hills, just like a petrol bike. Decent controllers mean its not easy to burn out a motor.

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:17:16 AM »

Fantastic!

I can't wait to get started on this thing next month.  I seriously am checking days off of the calendar.

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »

I don't think you should get a kit, Start part by part. First to me should be mounting of the motor. You need to work out a way to have the motor slide to take up chain tension. I think you should look at the bigger MARS motor. ME0709 http://www.marselectricllc.com/me07091.html

After the motor is mounted it time to see how many batts you can mount on the bike. To go cheap just use 12volt deep cycles lead acids. Sealed is best as you can mount them side ways an such for better fit. You should build you bike to 48volt now. And later for more top speed you can try and fit another 12volt.

It's a little on the $ side but for controller I think you should go with the alltrax 7234

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »

I fear that if I do not get a kit... my motivation will fade.

I've been telling myself for the better part of two years that I was going to get this thing done and I've always put it on the back burner.  In fact, this project has been abandoned twice for various reasons.  I would think that having all of the parts right in front of me would help make sure I don't put this thing on the back burner again.  It would also ensure that all of the components work together.  Being a newbie, I think that would be of particular use to me.  I thought I knew everything that I needed to know and then found that certain Alltrax controllers only work with shunt motors and not series wound and so forth.  I didn't know that.  I would have dropped 300 dollars into something that just wouldn't work.

I thought that chain could be adjusted and bought to various lengths.  Was I mistaken?  I have heard of some people buying certain lengths of industrial chain because it was said to work better and have more mechanical efficiency.

I thought about how to mount batteries too.  I like Lennon Rodgers' idea:

http://www.electricmotion.org/

I could cut out the bottom of the gas tank for more space and mount them vertically.  I'll only need four, so there should be plenty of space.  If not, I could use a saddlebag type design like these fellas have done here: http://www.marquecornblatt.com/art/cycle.html

I'll get the thing to work one way or another :)  I am determined to get this thing movin' this time :)

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:23:25 AM »

i see no problem with getting a kit, shop around for the best deal. I think dealers will generally put together a kit that does what is needed for a good price, some of the fancy controller options probably wont get used by most people anyway. Though batteries i would recomend getting last, just to make sure they willl fit good with the space left. Dunno about the chain efficiency, but it is easier to get longer lengths in industrial chain rather than motorcycle chain. I ended up getting two new sprockets and some chain to fit from a sprockets dealer, rear went from a 42 to a 62 tooth for better acceleration,

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 04:05:26 AM »

Good... I was hoping that the chain wouldn't be a problem.  I was reading "El Chopper ET" the book by John Bidwell today and he said that chain could be made to be a certain length with a master link to connect the two ends.  I am hopeful that the chain length is perhaps the most serious of my problems.

I've potentially gotta get my friend to weld a battery cage, a motor mount, and perhaps cut the bottom out of the gas tank.  His experience and accessibility to expensive power tools trumps mine by tenfold.   My little hacksaw and power drill I believe will be woefully insufficient.

I probably am going to go with cheapo batteries the first time out.  There's two reasons for that.  One is that I want to have room to upgrade, alter and modify later so I can empirically see the difference in performance between one type and another.  Another is that battery technology from my limited web research seems to be changing at lightspeed.  Very soon, the much heralded lithium-ion polymer batteries that everyone wants so badly, and damned near cost your immortal soul to buy, will not be the king anymore.

I believe that from what I am reading, better, cheaper, more efficient batteries will be available in the not so far off future.

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:12 AM »

yeh chain will be no problem, the rear sprocket may give you trouble if you are trying to change it, can really only buy blanks from industrial suppliers so you would have to get the right size bolt pattern (weight reduction would be recomended as well) machined into it, need a mill for that if you were in nz i could sort you out (i have access to a CNC mill :))

Other than that the frame looks pretty easy to mod, no fandangled aluminium, just easy to fabricate and weld steel!

Completely agree with your opinion on batterys, make sure it runs all good before spending heaps of cash on fancy ones, thatll only be fancy for a few years anyway.

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »

Many thanks everyone.  I now very much think that this project will be a success.

I appreciate the direction.

Then I must convince the University to get permission to charge it on campus.  That should be no problem.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:19:18 PM by Reaper »
Pages: [1]