• May 15, 2024, 12:48:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Now I'm upset with ZERO!  (Read 3159 times)

Tudor

• View Profile
Re: Now I'm upset with ZERO!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »

Quote from: Trikester
The first thing I discovered was that ZERO mixed English and metric bolts on the motor mounts. The two rear flat head bolts are American Allan wrench size and the two front bolts are metric. What's with that?

I see thread was started -10 :)

Well, at least this shouldn't be an issue from the -13 models where the motor is zero-made. Also, from what I understand, moving the motor is no longer how you control chain/belt tension.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »

Also, from what I understand, moving the motor is no longer how you control chain/belt tension.

Yes, I'm very pleased that they will be using the "standard" method of tension adjustment of the chain from now on. Moving the motor seemed to me like a neat way to do it (my engineering mind at work) until I did the first time (& every time after that). :P

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 05:35:57 AM »

Imo a better method of adjusting motor position would be preferable. Its great how the zero preserves perfect wheel alignment. Its a major step backwards in my eyes.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:28 PM »

Imo a better method of adjusting motor position would be preferable. Its great how the zero preserves perfect wheel alignment. Its a major step backwards in my eyes.

That's why I originally thought that moving the motor was a better way. Resulting in no change in wheel base or alignment. The problem was the difficulty in moving the motor to adjust the chain. Now that the 2013 motor is bolted in at both ends it would be a nightmare to move it and then there might be problems with motor alignment. The 2013 motor is now a part of mechanical frame stiffness. 8)

Trikester

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:55 AM »

The motor is now a stressed member of the frame, allowing for amazing handling! I rode the 2013 up the santa cruz mountains and the bike carves corners like butter.  The 2013 is just an incredible motorcycle from top to bottom.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

skeezmour

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »

I second the above statement. Bike feels great in the curves.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »

Yes, I also mentioned in my last post that the motor was now a part of the frame, which is a good idea. I rode the 2013 S back in November and loved its handling. I don't know how much of that is due to greater frame stiffness but certainly some of it could be attributed to that factor. They also changed the steering geometry which probably helps a lot.

I'm looking forward to getting the new FX into the sand for the first time. My 2012 DS handled sand better than my 2010 DS and I'll bet the 2013 FX will be even better than the 2012 DS for several reasons. Among those would be: larger diameter front wheel, slacker head angle with more trail, and less weight on the front wheel.

I will also be putting the K270, 5.1", tire on the rear (with wider rim) for more traction in sand.  8)

Trikester

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »

So where are these fantastic bikes. This is February!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:46 AM »

Check the 2013 forum .. Zero has posted a couple pictures of the first customers with their bikes. They are shipping! :)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 [2]