• May 04, 2024, 01:53:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Electric Fools Day Ride, Mt. Tam, Stinson Beach, April 1, no foolin'  (Read 4031 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

Ride to Mt. Tam, continue to Stinson Beach. https://goo.gl/maps/6tu931uGRq82

Meet here: https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/44604, come early if you need to charge. I'll come early, plug in my J-plug 5-bike C13 splitter, hang out by the Google Starbuck wifi at the North end of the mall. If you need some level 1 charging, feel free park next to mine and plug into my splitter.

Lunch at Siren Canteen, get there by noon, beat the lunch rush.
https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/82887
Brian confirms the food is good, and the charger is capable. No guarantees we'll get it, but 101 to the beach is just 21 miles and our Zeros are efficient.

https://www.facebook.com/events/230712020737422

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:31:45 AM by togo »
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Adan

• View Profile
Re: Electric Fools Day Ride, Mt. Tam, Stinson Beach, April 1, no foolin'
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:39:41 AM »

I'll try to make it.  Normally on a Saturday I don't get 3 hours off from the rug rats but for this I might get permission.

I live in Larkspur so even with the S 6.5 I should be able to do the circuit on a charge.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:06:54 AM »

I'll try to make it.  Normally on a Saturday I don't get 3 hours off from the rug rats but for this I might get permission.

I live in Larkspur so even with the S 6.5 I should be able to do the circuit on a charge.

Great! We'll do what we can to help out if you can make it. If you don't quite have the time, you could ride with us on the outbound leg and turn back when you need to.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:39:16 AM »

Ride to Mt. Tam, continue to Stinson Beach. https://goo.gl/maps/6tu931uGRq82

Meet here: https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/44604, come early if you need to charge. I'll come early, plug in my J-plug 5-bike C13 splitter, hang out by the Google Starbuck wifi at the North end of the mall. If you need some level 1 charging, feel free park next to mine and plug into my splitter.

Lunch at Siren Canteen, get there by noon, beat the lunch rush.
https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/82887
Brian confirms the food is good, and the charger is capable. No guarantees we'll get it, but 101 to the beach is just 21 miles and our Zeros are efficient.

https://www.facebook.com/events/230712020737422

This is definitely on my radar! As of today the weather forecast looks good.

I need to think about logistics. I'm 55 miles from the start point, and *think*
I could get there from Livermore, do the ride, then recharge before
riding home -- assuming I keep my speed  to a (boring) 55mph on the leg from Livermore to
Corte Madera. (recharge: I recently bought two elcon chargers)

Question: my brother has a *pretty loud* Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and may be interested in accompanying us.
Please let me know if anyone would be uncomfortable with this. (Don't worry, at 118# he doesn't bite,
 or wear serious leather. He just rides a noisy bike.)
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »

It's about 200mi to the starting location from where I am. I've got one 3.3kW SCv2 plus the onboard 1.4kW total 4.7kW charging capability.

Travel 2 hours Kings Beach CA to Citrus Heights CA (100mi). Charge for 2.5 hours.
Travel 2 hours Citrus Heights CA to Corte Madera CA (100mi). Charge for 2.5 hours.

Or if I am going a little quicker, that's 1.5hr recharge to 80% three times plus 3 hours travel, total 7.5 hours.

That's between 7.5 and 9 hours to get there. I'll have to start at midnight before. Tempting...

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »

Super tempted to do this but I might go on a longer trip same weekend, it's not exactly clear just yet.

JJ2525

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »

I don't know if I'll be able to make this but I will try to.

Question - If I am a pretty inexperienced rider ( been riding for < 1yr & do 90% of my riding in SF proper) should I not go? I wouldn't want to ruin the ride for you all by being a straggler the entire time.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »

This is right in my back yard...perfect...did I miss the start time somewhere? And I reading that map correctly that the meet point is basically Macy's in the mall?

Brian
2016 DSR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:31:49 AM »

I love Mt Tam. 

I will be camping in Tomales bay that day, so I cant make it. 

If you have time/ charge, you should to Ridgecrest Blvd where they film all the Car commercials.  Amazing views along most of it. 

Fairfax- Bolinas Road to HYW 1 is tight curvy fun too with less traffic than Panoramic. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:09:12 AM »

I love Mt Tam. 

I will be camping in Tomales bay that day, so I cant make it. 

If you have time/ charge, you should to Ridgecrest Blvd where they film all the Car commercials.  Amazing views along most of it. 

Fairfax- Bolinas Road to HYW 1 is tight curvy fun too with less traffic than Panoramic.

The Fairfax-Bolinas Road, just beyond the golf course, is closed for the foreseeable future due to a landslide.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 05:01:24 AM »

The Fairfax-Bolinas Road, just beyond the golf course, is closed for the foreseeable future due to a landslide.   :(
I am pretty sure the section of BoFax road from Hwy 1 near Stinson up to Ridgecrest is still open though. That makes for a nice return loop from Stinson.

https://www.marincounty.org/main/county-press-releases/press-releases/2017/dpw-fairbolroad-021417
2016 DSR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »

I am pretty sure the section of BoFax road from Hwy 1 near Stinson up to Ridgecrest is still open though. That makes for a nice return loop from Stinson.

https://www.marincounty.org/main/county-press-releases/press-releases/2017/dpw-fairbolroad-021417

Like the press release says, you can't get anywhere near Ridgecrest.  Which means that you can't take that road to Mt. Tam or to Bolinas or to Stinson Beach.  :( All you can do is drive 3 miles up to the golf course and return back to downtown Fairfax.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »

Like the press release says, you can't get anywhere near Ridgecrest.  Which means that you can't take that road to Mt. Tam or to Bolinas or to Stinson Beach.  :( All you can do is drive 3 miles up to the golf course and return back to downtown Fairfax.
Maybe I am reading it differently than you are, but to me "The closed section is from Azalea Hill Trailhead (about three miles southwest of downtown Fairfax) to Ridgecrest Boulevard (in the hills above Stinson Beach)" means it's open from Ridgecrest down to Hwy One.
2016 DSR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »

Just spent 12 hours getting the bike ready. I had to figure out how the chargetank bracket kit installs, which I have it mounted securely now but it's not certain if I did it correctly. Removing the tank lock and installing the bracket requires some tools in really tight spaces, also later figuring out after the fact that I could remove one of the bolts for the ABS module and rotate the brake lines with it out of the way. I installed a 3'ft right-angled C13 cord semi-permanently under the left side lower plastics and routed up into the SCv2 area so it will always be plugged in. I removed the rubber boot covers for the C13 receptacle on the bike and also the SBX app connector for the aux charger. I cleaned up the SCv2 routing a lot. Going to ask for the day off and do some more route planning.

I tried taking pictures and I got some, but not all, of the shots that I wanted to take. The camera phone is not easy to work with it was shutting off randomly in the cold. Also the lighting wasn't much good and varied a lot.

SCv2 with onboard is a minimum requirement for me to be able to make this trip so there's that.   Also I think a used aerostich roadcrafter suit arrives in the mail tomorrow - hope it fits!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »

Maybe I am reading it differently than you are, but to me "The closed section is from Azalea Hill Trailhead (about three miles southwest of downtown Fairfax) to Ridgecrest Boulevard (in the hills above Stinson Beach)" means it's open from Ridgecrest down to Hwy One.

Now I see what you are saying.  Since my daughter lives in Fairfax and we like to hike the Cataract trail, I was thinking of going from Fairfax to Ridgecrest.  However, you are suggesting going from Mt.Tam SP to Stinson Beach, via Ridgecrest. I agree, that would be a nice ride.  You could return to 101 by way of Sir Francis Drake Blvd for a very scenic trip.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4