• May 04, 2024, 01:29:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Electric Fools Day Ride, Mt. Tam, Stinson Beach, April 1, no foolin'  (Read 4031 times)

Adan

• View Profile
Re: Electric Fools Day Ride, Mt. Tam, Stinson Beach, April 1, no foolin'
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »

Not to be negative nelly, but forecast is for a beautiful sunny day this Saturday.  At 10:30 that road is going to be fairly busy with minivans and SUVs driving to Stinson Beach.  Tough road to pass on because so twisty.  This is my backyard riding course, but generally I only ride it on weekdays. 

I'm sure it will be a nice ride regardless, but maybe a little slower than folks would ideally want.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:49:02 AM »

Not to be negative nelly, but forecast is for a beautiful sunny day this Saturday.  At 10:30 that road is going to be fairly busy with minivans and SUVs driving to Stinson Beach.  Tough road to pass on because so twisty.  This is my backyard riding course, but generally I only ride it on weekdays. 

I'm sure it will be a nice ride regardless, but maybe a little slower than folks would ideally want.
^this, especially since much of Hwy One (the more touristy/alternate route to Stinson) is closed due to slides, which will put all the weekend beach traffic onto Panoramic.

I would recommend that if the intent is to include a stop at East Peak like I see on the route map, that from there the ride go along Ridgecrest, down BoFax Rd to One, and then into Stinson. Panoramic would be a fine return route as it has much less traffic going back towards Mill Valley at that time of day.
2016 DSR

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 09:53:44 PM »

So I won't be able to make it to the ride since I'm busy until roughly 1 o'clock on Saturdays, but I'm just up in San Rafael. If anyone wants to grab a late lunch and ride a little later in the afternoon around Marin, I should be free!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »

I like that there's a lot of interest! Try to RSVP on the Facebook page so we know who to expect!

Also, I was reminded that Google Maps on web and mobile now support location sharing, which could be helpful if you need to communicate your position to a person or group for a limited time. This helps when rendezvousing for a motorcycle ride since you can't just text "on my way! here..." while riding safely.

If for no other purpose, my email is (this username) at gmail just in case this is necessary.

https://blog.google/products/maps/share-your-trips-and-real-time-location-google-maps/
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »

...I was reminded that Google Maps on web and mobile now support location sharing, which could be helpful if you need to communicate your position to a person or group for a limited time. This helps when rendezvousing for a motorcycle ride since you can't just text "on my way! here..." while riding safely....

Add a way to share state of charge and things get interesting for longer group EV travel. For the ham radio operators my call sign is AI6FS, and I can run my APRS capable handheld for position and short messages, though I digress. Great suggestion!

Something went wrong with the J1772 inlet so I have to fix that, waiting for parts, we'll see if I can make it to the ride. @Chicamungo hope to meet you soon :) maybe the 1st or another ride.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 12:22:31 AM »

Sorry about the delayed responses, everybody.

Anyone else bringing a passenger?  My wife Sandy will be joining us.

I'll try to make it.  Normally on a Saturday I don't get 3 hours off from the rug rats but for this I might get permission.

I live in Larkspur so even with the S 6.5 I should be able to do the circuit on a charge.

Awesome!

I'll try to make it.  Normally on a Saturday I don't get 3 hours off from the rug rats but for this I might get permission.

I live in Larkspur so even with the S 6.5 I should be able to do the circuit on a charge.

... If you don't quite have the time, you could ride with us on the outbound leg and turn back when you need to.

Agreed!  If you can come for even a bit of it, that would be awesome.

This is definitely on my radar! As of today the weather forecast looks good.

I need to think about logistics. I'm 55 miles from the start point, and *think*
I could get there from Livermore, do the ride, then recharge before
riding home -- assuming I keep my speed  to a (boring) 55mph on the leg from Livermore to
Corte Madera. (recharge: I recently bought two elcon chargers)

Question: my brother has a *pretty loud* Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and may be interested in accompanying us.
Please let me know if anyone would be uncomfortable with this. (Don't worry, at 118# he doesn't bite,
 or wear serious leather. He just rides a noisy bike.)

You can rapid-charge.  Cool.  I think I recall Brian or Brandon saying the Voltas can to 9000-10000 watts.

Sure, bring him along.  It'll be good contrast.  As long as his emissions are in control : - )   or he rides at the back.  It'll be a good experiment, and we can use it as a test case.

... I'll have to start at midnight before. Tempting...

That would be commitment!

I don't know if I'll be able to make this but I will try to.

Question - If I am a pretty inexperienced rider ( been riding for < 1yr & do 90% of my riding in SF proper) should I not go? I wouldn't want to ruin the ride for you all by being a straggler the entire time.

I think we can accommodate you.  I don't know that any impatient types will be joining.  If we have any, I'd be happy to split into two groups.  We won't leave you behind. 

I love Mt Tam. 

I will be camping in Tomales bay that day, so I cant make it. 

If you have time/ charge, you should to Ridgecrest Blvd where they film all the Car commercials.  Amazing views along most of it. 

Hmmm.... https://goo.gl/maps/wcVx8Yii3j22  Adds 5 miles.  Maybe after lunch, for those who want more and have enough juice.

... However, you are suggesting going from Mt.Tam SP to Stinson Beach, via Ridgecrest. I agree, that would be a nice ride.  You could return to 101 by way of Sir Francis Drake Blvd for a very scenic trip.  :)

Map it out for us, for next time!

Not to be negative nelly, but forecast is for a beautiful sunny day this Saturday.  At 10:30 that road is going to be fairly busy with minivans and SUVs driving to Stinson Beach. ...

OK, so we need to leave promptly.  And we need to ride at a *relaxed* pace.  Which is appropriate, since we'll have newbies along.  Enjoy the twisties at a level that's comfortable to your skill level, don't endanger others, and slow down and regroup on the straights, make sure everybody we collect back up.

I like that there's a lot of interest! Try to RSVP on the Facebook page so we know who to expect!

Also, I was reminded that Google Maps on web and mobile now support location sharing, ... If for no other purpose, my email is (this username) at gmail just in case this is necessary.

https://blog.google/products/maps/share-your-trips-and-real-time-location-google-maps/

Yeah

Add a way to share state of charge and things get interesting for longer group EV travel. For the ham radio operators my call sign is AI6FS, and I can run my APRS capable handheld for position and short messages, though I digress. Great suggestion!

I'd love to hear more about that at lunch.  I was WH6ZD for a while, passed the exam recently to get a new callsign, haven't done much with it.

I'll do location sharing to brian if I get access to it.  Apparently they are rolling the feature out in stages.

Something went wrong with the J1772 inlet so I have to fix that, waiting for parts, we'll see if I can make it to the ride. @Chicamungo hope to meet you soon :) maybe the 1st or another ride.

I'm bringing a spare J-plug to C13 adapter, does that help?  I expect to be at the starting point, charging, from 8-10, and I could give you my spare, in SF, earlier.  There's also a free Volta at Stonestown Mall, out west, SF south Sunset district.

Hope I didn't miss anyone.  Hope to see you all there.

MAPS:

By the way, everyone, connectivity may be limited once we leave the 101 corridor, you can predownload maps in gmaps ("offline areas", "select your own area")

Tony

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »

I will be passing by on my Zero on the way to visiting my daughter and her family in Fairfax tomorrow.  I need to perform some maintenance on the brakes of her 2012S and then we will be going for a hike at the water district's open space areas below Mt. Tam. Looks to be a really nice day.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 04:38:45 AM »

I'm psyched! Looks like the wind should be much calmer tomorrow morning.
I plan to be at the mtg point at 9-ish. I can almost certainly get to the starting
point and do the ride without recharging, so if anyone wants to use my elcon chargers
at the start or at lunch (assuming we can get access),  you're welcome to them.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »

I'm psyched! Looks like the wind should be much calmer tomorrow morning.
I plan to be at the mtg point at 9-ish. I can almost certainly get to the starting
point and do the ride without recharging, so if anyone wants to use my elcon chargers
at the start or at lunch (assuming we can get access),  you're welcome to them.

Yes I might need the help. I charged successfully at 4kW today from an RV park L14-50 outlet, which narrows down my EVSE charging problems to the signal pin on my J1772 inlet that's missing a connection. Repair parts are shipped but won't arrive today. I'll be limited in quick charging locations and times to finding an RV park during office hours and try to plug in to the 50A service, and whatever charging gear I can rig up from other riders.  The bike is on slow charge now some hours left to go. This is going to be a little more of an adventure than I'd hoped but I'm encouraged there may be a way to fast charge once I'm near the other riders.

Besides RV parks are there any sources of 50A service in the middle of the night between Reno and SF Bay?

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 05:58:15 AM »

Looks like I might actually make it tomorrow as well 8)

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »

So I will be home and can be ready to ride around 1pm if anyone sticks around after, just post here and I'll find it. I'd love to meet some of you guys.

I wish I was available earlier, but unfortunately that's not the case.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »

So I will be home and can be ready to ride around 1pm if anyone sticks around after, just post here and I'll find it. I'd love to meet some of you guys.

Lunch at Siren Canteen, join us there, even if just for the tail end.  I'll have the redstriped eggshell monstrosity pictured in my profile photo, and Brian will have his blue and black upright.  The other Zeros will mostly look like Zeros.  My helmet's the one with the red and white stripes and all the stickers.

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »

Lunch at Siren Canteen, join us there, even if just for the tail end.  I'll have the redstriped eggshell monstrosity pictured in my profile photo, and Brian will have his blue and black upright.  The other Zeros will mostly look like Zeros.  My helmet's the one with the red and white stripes and all the stickers.

Awesome, I'll head out there as quickly as I can then.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »

This is right in my back yard...perfect...did I miss the start time somewhere? And I reading that map correctly that the meet point is basically Macy's in the mall?

Brian

Yes, Specifically, the Volta chargers at the Macy's is the departure point.  And the hangout point for people charging would be the coffee/wifi/breakfast places at the north end of the mall.  Nordstroms.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »

Anyone wanting to try smart-phone google-maps location sharing, PM me your gmail address and I'll turn on Location Sharing to show you my location for the duration of the trip.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4