Tech > Tech Help

replace tire if completely flat?

(1/1)

evdjerome:
My Zero DS has had a completely flat rear tire for about 3 days now. Should I replace the tire along with the tube regardless of whether there is a hole in the tire?

I'm concerned that the sidewalls would be damaged from the completely flat tire being smushed by the weight of the bike over 3 days. I don't want weak sidewalls with a new tube and suffer a blowout at 70 mph!

Your thoughts?

-Jerome

BrianTRice@gmail.com:
3 days is probably not too bad. It would depend on the tire's age. My Zero DS has had two rear flats this year (terrible statistic, but that's 2 of the 3 flats I've had since I started riding 8 years ago!) and just got a tube replacement and tire patch each time.

BrianTRice@gmail.com:
Also, if it's a slow leak, just unload the bike as completely as possible and maybe inflate it every few hours or something.

Richard230:
If it was me, I would just replace the tube and go riding.   ;)

BenS:
It should be fine, especially if it hasn't been ridden on. I've never replaced a tyre because of a flat, even after riding on it, even on my GSXR! Tyres take quite a lot of punishment even when they're inflated, including bottoming out on the rim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version