• May 05, 2024, 02:10:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Got her home :)  (Read 1478 times)

CliC

• View Profile
Got her home :)
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:00:35 AM »

Got my DS back from AF1 Racing in Austin with new front fork seals. Spent the night in New Braunfels (on the river :)), and to celebrate I unloaded the bike and decided to brave the holiday traffic on River Road. Turned out the traffic wasn't too bad (it seemed most of the campers had already arrived), and the ride was quite nice. Glad to have my bike back!

Only one downside: I had a slight mishap unloading it, and I now have a small crack in the front right-side fairing :(, and a broken plastic pop rivet fastener. The crack is not too noticeable, though, and the local Lowe's had a replacement fastener (for a Nissan car) that worked perfectly and looks decent.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:04:15 AM by CliC »
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: Got her home :)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:30:39 AM »

River Road is one of my favorite rides. I ride my 2011 Zero S from home to just past 3rd crossing before turning around. If I have an e-bike or a motorcycle, I ride to the Canyon Dam overlook and back. River Road is best in the Fall/Winter when the campers and police are gone.

That's nice to know about those fasteners being available at Lowes. I ordered a kit from Bolt, but I have a Ninja that uses 4 different sizes of them. The smallest one in the kit looks like it will fit the Zero. 

So far, my Zero is performing perfectly for the 1700 miles I've had it. I ride it every day from 5-15 miles usually. No seal leaks...unless all the oil is gone and can't hurt me anymore. 

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »

I agree; fall, winter, maybe early spring is the time to be there. Beautiful and peaceful.

One thing I noticed with the bike being so quiet is that I could hear all the, ahem, revelry going on around me :) And the place was CRAWLING with cops, with more state troopers than the usual county sheriffs even.  Once I got past 3rd crossing, though, there were fewer campgrounds (and they seemed to be farther away from the road), and it was quite pleasant. My g/f wanted to go, too, but I don't have the passenger peg option; at $350 and on backorder I think I'm going to have to make myself some. She's undeservedly missed a couple of nice rides, though now that we got her ICE bike running here in the last few days, I'll probably just trailer them both up there next time.

As for the seal leaks, you'd notice them I think. I had an oil spot on my rim after it was parked one day, and the lower fork/axle clamp was covered in it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:18:14 AM by CliC »
Ride log

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

Only one downside: I had a slight mishap unloading it, and I now have a small crack in the front right-side fairing :(, and a broken plastic pop rivet fastener.
You got off cheap.  When I had a "slight mishap unloading" my bike off the hitch rack, it broke my CRG bar end mirror ($80) and bent my handlebars ($0, thanks to the excellent customer service at Brammo).  Plus, that sore wrist seemed to last about 6 months. :(  The loading and unloading of a bike -- without assistance -- is an extremely risky endeavor.  I try to get help whenever possible.
2010 Brammo Enertia

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »

You're probably right; I did come away relatively painlessly. I had loaded/unloaded a couple times previously without incident, but tried a different method based on some well-intentioned but ultimately bad advice I got. Oh well, another life lesson.

Eventually I want to get a trailer for taking the Zero to remote riding venues. Should be safer for me and the bike.
Ride log

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »

My "dream" carrier is one of those that you sometimes see on the back of the big motorhomes.  It has a hydraulic jack that lowers the platform to the ground so you can load and tie (and unload and untie) while it's right there on the ground in front of you.  They cost upwards of $500 right now, so I'll have to wait.
2010 Brammo Enertia

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 03:14:38 AM »

Brammo's done a good job taking care of their early customers (and those on first-name bases with Mr. Bramscher ;)) .. but any type of fairing or frame repair will likely be well over $500. If you frequently transport the bike by truck it will probably pay for itself.

What kind of price do you put on a sore wrist for six months?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]