• May 06, 2024, 01:04:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2017 SR needs new motor controller  (Read 1134 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2017 SR needs new motor controller
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »

How could they decentralize?  There's only so much demand and available training, tho.

And yes, they have to give you the parts back if you request, at least in California.

-Crissa

We know that Zero is trying to do this with a European service and parts center.

But really the general recipe is that you make a process for building out expertise in the organization rather than just the people. You make sure that every incident folds feedback and improvements into documentation, training, and communication.

And you make sure that service technicians and employees don’t need to remember a lot of ad hoc shorthand to troubleshoot; instead the documents are elaborate yet clear enough that any 18 year old paying a decent amount of attention and acting and speaking honestly can do the job.

I believe this can be done because I went through naval nuclear power training as a college dropout. That’s an expensive program but the principles can be implemented given attention to detail in developing and refining written material based on technician observations and practices, including mistakes.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 02:09:54 PM »

Yeah, I have experience with RTDs. I can’t remember whether we’ve determined what temperature sensors are embedded in Zero motors and batteries.

Anyway the controller is very expensive so it’s worth justifying.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 12:40:12 AM »

I believe they use fairly standard ~10k thermistors in the motor. However, they're embedded in the motor potting and are absolutely not replaceable.

CessnaDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 12:27:41 AM »

Got it back today. Motor temp on dash reads higher than actual temp (started out 10° above ambient temp on start up and settled at 140°F once it got up to temperature. I have a laser thermometer and will check it next time I ride to compare to what the dash is telling me. Off hand, I suspect there is no way it's 140°. 

Dealer said Zero reviewed the logs and said the dash is defective (they don't see in the logs the temps the dash is reporting).   However, my app is showing the temp my dash is showing. (Blowing smoke, anyone?) Anyway, happy to have it back. Nice cool 50° day and I hope the bike doesnt go into thermal protection on a 90° day   I'll attach a picture of the motor controller once I get home and resize it to under 600k
Alexandria, VA USA
2017 Zero SR   Previously: 2003 Honda VTX1800-C  and 1985 Yamaha Maxim XJ-700

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 04:14:12 AM »

Got it back today. Motor temp on dash reads higher than actual temp (started out 10° above ambient temp on start up and settled at 140°F once it got up to temperature. I have a laser thermometer and will check it next time I ride to compare to what the dash is telling me. Off hand, I suspect there is no way it's 140°. 

Dealer said Zero reviewed the logs and said the dash is defective (they don't see in the logs the temps the dash is reporting).   However, my app is showing the temp my dash is showing. (Blowing smoke, anyone?) Anyway, happy to have it back. Nice cool 50° day and I hope the bike doesnt go into thermal protection on a 90° day   I'll attach a picture of the motor controller once I get home and resize it to under 600k

I have owned three Zeros and two have shown the temperature on the dash as being 10 or 15 degrees F warmer than the ambient air temperature even after sitting in my garage for a day or two. It appears to be a Zero feature.  ::)  I wouldn't worry about it.  I can't recall if my 2012 Zero also had a temperature gauge as that bike went to the crusher a couple of years ago.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 [3]