• May 05, 2024, 09:23:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Did i kill my 16 SR with water?  (Read 2346 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Did i kill my 16 SR with water?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2020, 03:47:55 AM »

These controller theory posts are a totally inappropriate discussion to be having on Rangerx's thread on his bike failure.
True, but I think his bike failure has already been well covered here and since the controller stuff started here, I figured this would be a good place to post it instead of starting a new thread.

I have no more to say on either  subject anyway.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 04:28:23 PM »

Update:

Turns out the plug had been compromised/damaged prior to me purchasing the bike. Was basically a ticking timebomb waiting for me to get enough water on the bike that it would get in and fry the controller.

Dealership played the "no warrantee, you bought it as is" card. Insurance said it was a manufacturing defect (never bothered calling the shop, looking at the bike, or even looking at the pictures that the shop took. Told me no, fuck off, and stopped answering my calls), and zero initially agreed with the shop after discussing it with them, saying it was unfortunate, but ultimately my problem.

So my $15k bike was tagged with a +$5000 repair bill just to put it back on the road after one month of ownership, with no wrongdoing on my part- pretty shit deal eh?

SO. After the initial options were exhausted, i contacted the regional Zero rep, asking for direct communication and elevation of my issue to whoever i had to bug.

I ended up talking to a guy from zero directly, i'd love to say his name, but i dont want to potentially cause him any unintended hassle, but despite what i have seen in some of the other posts, i gotta say WOW. A few phone calls back and forth, and they covered the damaged parts for me, and made sure i was taken care of. Looks like i'm still getting tagged for the labor on the install, but it's still a hell of a lot better than the prior number (and the labor is out of zero's hands, understandably). The customer service i got from them was top notch, i'm very happy with how they dealt with it all, especially considering the bike had been out of warrantee for a while.

Not an ideal situation by any means, but looks like its likely resolved. Keep your plugs safe, people.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »

That is great news, Rangerx52.  I am glad your problem was resolved to your satisfaction.

It is quite possible that the plug was damaged when your bike was assembled at the factory.  That happened with my 2014S. When the accessory power tank was installed by my dealer, the bike didn't notice the extra battery.  A technician from the Zero factory visited the shop and brought a new power tank with him. He first discovered that the previous PT was defective and after installing the new one the bike still didn't notice the PT.  He finally located a wire connector with a bent pin, straightened out the pin and everything has worked perfectly since then. He said that it looked like the pin had been bent when the wiring loom was connected at the factory.  (He didn't blame the dealer's technician - at least not to me.)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]