• May 09, 2024, 12:50:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Honda Rider Assist  (Read 868 times)

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Honda Rider Assist
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »

Motorcycle.com has picked up the story, too.  Personally, I would like to own a garbage can that follows me around:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/honda-riding-assist-technology-lets-motorcycles-balance-themselves.html
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:51:31 AM »

I don't understand what they think the market is for this sort of thing. Those of us who ride motorcycles do it because we ENJOY riding, and a self-balancing system (if it worked!) would just take all the fun out of it.

I suppose it's possible they're just doing it as an engineering exercise (which I think that asimo robot was originally), but if they're planning on selling it commercially, I think they're headed for a big disappointment.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:53:27 AM »

A lot of recent technology like this is accumulating but is only ripe for a product that doesn't speak to the motorcycle market; more like personal transport on two wheels. Like how Lit Motors is basically a two-wheeled car, or Honda's 60s adverts of "you meet the nicest people on a Honda".

I will say specifically that I think electric powertrains easily fit this category, where its most natural home is slightly off-center from most motorcycle enthusiasts' expectations (a lot of overlap but also an untapped area where people who wouldn't ride a motorcycle would ride a two-wheeled EV).

On the other hand, this might make people more comfortable on bikes where they wouldn't ordinarily achieve full flat-footed contact with the ground. One could be short and ride a tall suspension offroad bike without as much risk.

No matter what, there are huge marketing hurdles. Motorcycle companies have been terrible at aiming at different needs historically.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:55:09 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:37:17 AM »

I think the primary benefit is to not have to put your feet down to come to a stop. Especially if you're a shorter-legged person who can't get both feet on the ground this would be a great thing.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »

Honda's Rider Assist technology would actually be a great fit for the large cruisers and the older crowd who may have a hard time keeping them upright when stopping. There is a company that sells "landing gear" for large cruisers to address this issue. Basically you have arms that come out of the side cases and keep the bike upright when stopped or moving at very low speeds. But highly unlikely that Honda's technology could ever be used as an after market device.

kpinvt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:46 PM »

A couple more vids:

How many sales of larger bikes like the 800+ pound Gold Wing has Honda lost to the likes of the three wheel Can-Am Spyder? I'm 63, been riding for 12 years, belong to a large BMW motorcycle club and personally know 2 riders who gave up a Gold Wing or a BMW touring bike and went to the Can-Am because they couldn't hold their bike up at a stop anymore. Honda says this technology is very easy to add to an existing motorcycle design. I hope something like this design is produced by the time my bike becomes too heavy for me. I've ridden a Spyder and was not impressed with its' ATV style handling.
The faster you go, the shorter the ride.
I happily ride a 2014 Honda NC700XD, six speed automatic motorcycle.
Pages: [1]