• May 06, 2024, 09:36:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging in the rain  (Read 846 times)

PhreaK

• View Profile
Charging in the rain
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »

What are peoples current approaches to charging in the wet? Due to living in an apartment block with a backwards body corporate, my only charging options (until my lease runs up) are when I'm out and about - mainly at work. This is also out in the open so if it rains, the bike gets wet. The C13/14 coupler for the onboard charger obviously leaves a little to be desired when it comes to protection against the elements. Aside from throwing a cover on the bike, what do others do?
2014 Zero SR

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Charging in the rain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »

If its heavy, I'll move the bike into my workshop, otherwise I just put some covers over the bike.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Charging in the rain
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »

A bike cover should work. Some bike covers have built-in moisture vents to prevent moisture from collecting under the cover while it rains.

These will help preserve the bike, particularly the few places where metals that rust are used, but the Anderson DC input above the motor apparently can cause issues when damp.

Make sure the cable dries out, probably by just storing it in a warm/dry place when you're not using it.

Of course, a garage or covered parking with an outlet is best, but that's not always cheap enough to get.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]