• May 04, 2024, 06:55:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stability of Top Box vs Panniers?  (Read 1233 times)

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
Stability of Top Box vs Panniers?
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »

For those of you who have fitted the top box, how stable do you find it? Does it have a tendency to bounce about on rougher road surfaces compared to panniers?

The reason I am asking is that I am speccing my accessories for a 2018 DS 11kW and I have the choice of rack/panniers or top rack/top box. I will need to be carrying slightly fragile items such as glass bottles (our local dairy has gone back to the glass pint bottles) and the local minor country roads have been frequently patched so have "positive potholes" in areas. I would like to avoid getting home to discover that I have a top box filled with milky froth with glass fragments!

Finally how does having a top box affect getting on or off the bike? I am used to step-through scooters so the DS will be my first vehicle arranged like a motorbike. A neighbour (who is, admittedly 70) suggested that unless I was flexible, I would find panniers easier to straddle when getting on. What are your thoughts?

Cheers.

wagz50

• View Profile
Re: Stability of Top Box vs Panniers?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »

I have both panniers, a smaller 32 liter top box and a larger 48 liter top box.
I find the top box to be the most convenient storage set up. The panniers have a tendency to get in the way of my foot getting on and off the DSR but i have long legs at 6'4".
All options are stable and bounce around at roughly the same amplitude as the rider. As long as you throw a towel in to cushion your bottles, you'll be fine. The streets here in the Midwestern US are TERRIBLE and i've never hit a bump large enough to come close to breaking a glass bottle.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »

Whenever possible, loading items on the pillion seat will ride much better. The 47L top case with backrest and top rack: Adding RokStraps to the pillion grab bars and top rack gives convenient attachment points for carrying items.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:01:19 PM »

Thanks for the tips and picture - it really helps visualise what I can do. It is a little academic at the moment as I am struggling to organise insurance but once I have, I am sure I'll be back with more pre-purchase questions.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:51:04 PM »

I recommend:
- placing an adhesive pad between the tab of the top rack and the tail surface to absorb dynamic load on the rack.
- upgrading the M6 bolts from button-head to socket head and place a washer under the head to distribute and soften the load.

Reference: https://zeromanual.com/index.php/Top_Rack
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »

I've upgraded the top box rack bolts almost the day I got the bike, but the washer is a really good idea. I'll go do that now!
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »

My top box 52L holds 2 diginows and cables and is generally loaded to the 25lb limit. I'm in my 3rd riding season with no problems. I'm using standard bolts, not upgraded but do have high density foam under the tab. Top box does now interfere with getting on/off bike.  I did change top plate to handle monokey and it does allow box to be mounted more to the rear than the stock monolock set up.

It does bounce a little if I don't have a passenger, but the passenger resting on the backrest does keep it from vibrating.

I also have 46L side cases and they are boxy. When getting on the bike my shoe drags over the passenger side when getting on, but I'm an old guy with bad hips and limited range of motion. A healthy person should be able to clear cases with no issues.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »

I have definitely used a kayaking bag on the passenger seat to anchor the top rack.
- The bag is primarily anchored to my Happy Trails SU side racks which are super-sturdy.
- The bag is secondarily attached to the Givi Maxia top case by the accessory luggage grill on top of the case. I run straps from that grill around the duffle bag through its loops so that its motions are damped.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »

Thanks for all the replies folks - my DS is ordered and I will pop back in and ask if I need further advice.

UW4E

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »

Just done 3 weeks in Iceland with > 8 kg charging equipment in Top Box, partly also on gravel/dirt roads.
Uwe
With an electric motorcycle to Iceland - June 2018:
http://www.uw4e.de

Zero S 2015 - 41,000 km / 25,800 miles since July 2016 (Status Nov '18)

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »

I have had (and still have but not on the bike) the Zero saddle bags.
Changed them to have a Zero Givi topbox + Zero rack, also because of the bags aren't completely waterproof .
It rides perfectly and the only negative I can find is the sound of loose items in there....just stuf it up with towels or something ;-)

I still can make the 158km/h and not notice it's being there, also keeps the motor small compared to bags/suitcases, and like the open space on the rear.

What have you ordered now?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:46:02 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »

At the moment what I have on order is the 2018 DS ZF7.2 11kW (European model) with the Givi panniers and rack kit, commuter screen and one DigiNow v2.5 3.3kW (once the new belly pans are available at the Dealerships).

I am fifty so should be able to get a leg over that lot.

I wonder if I will be the only Zero rider with L Plates? I have driven a car for over 25 years but the UK rules mean I have to pass the A1 Light Motorcycle test before I can get rid of them. I had intended to do that on my 125cc Scooter but sadly it is proving too unreliable to last so the Zero will get the plates instead once it arrives.
Pages: [1]