• May 06, 2024, 01:31:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bike Bandit on electric motorcycles  (Read 531 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Bike Bandit on electric motorcycles
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:17 AM »

Bike Bandit has a few words to say about the current leaders in the electric motorcycle market.  Unfortunately, they forgot about Energica:
https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/the-future-of-powersports-going-green
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
Re: Bike Bandit on electric motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »

Interesting link.

They used to do 10% discount with AMA number, have not placed an order for years.  Though the article is dated two days ago it acts like Alta does not have anything street legal.  Having the ability to get parts from bike bandit or rocky mountain or perhaps similar outfit will go a long way to making electric bikes easier to buy.  I was at the Zero dealership last year asking about a chain drive set up and they showed me how to find it on their website (I can not find it today)  The cost was pretty high compared to a set of sprockets and a box of chain.  Kind of spooks one if you price check one piece and do not like the result. Then the guy could not price me just the front sprocket by itself which must just be 10 or 11 teeth judging by the size of the belt turn radius so they won't go too far.

I have a burned out headlight bulb (probably due to shock of the handlebar end hitting frozen ground) so tried to find it on bike bandit.  My electric Ktm is not listed in the choices for 2017.  I think I found it for a similar gasoline bike from 2016.  They can get stuff out of the hard parts catalog which has part numbers, or they could need do chat or something of that nature to figure it out.

Why is a zero fx in most of the stuff on the internet called dual sport.  It is dual purpose or standard in my estimation.  At least I got to see the smart phone ap.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:25:17 AM by Fran K »

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:36:54 AM »

Why is a zero fx in most of the stuff on the internet called dual sport.  It is dual purpose or standard in my estimation.  At least I got to see the smart phone ap.
"Dual sport" (usually written "dualsport" without a space) is the usual term European bike makers use for dual-purpose bikes. I'm pretty sure it originated in BMW, and agree it's a silly moniker.
In any event, I wouldn't call the FX a standard --  it's not a pure surfaced-road bike.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »

I buy my tires regularly from Bike Bandit for both my K1200LT and C650GT (both BMWs) but when you use their website to look for tires for your Zero, they don't even list the brand at all.  Fortunately, I do know the tire sizes and can order them by tire manufacturer/size but it sure would be convenient to be able to specify the bike and have all the available tire choices pop up.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:23 PM »

I buy my tires regularly from Bike Bandit for both my K1200LT and C650GT (both BMWs) but when you use their website to look for tires for your Zero, they don't even list the brand at all.  Fortunately, I do know the tire sizes and can order them by tire manufacturer/size but it sure would be convenient to be able to specify the bike and have all the available tire choices pop up.

My Royal Enfield also doesn't get any respect from Bike Bandit.  :( But then maybe it doesn't deserve any.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »

"Dual sport" (usually written "dualsport" without a space) is the usual term European bike makers use for dual-purpose bikes. I'm pretty sure it originated in BMW, and agree it's a silly moniker.
In any event, I wouldn't call the FX a standard --  it's not a pure surfaced-road bike.

I found a December American motorcyclist magazine.  There is a variety of ways they do DUAL-SPORT   DUAL SPORT   AMADUALSPORT  The only thing seems constant is cap locks.  I went to the website http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Dual-Sport-Riding  it seems pretty much two words and they do not have cap lock problems.  You can see what the sponsor for this year Beta chose for a picture of that class of bike.

I figure standard means no body panels or real minimal and the footpegs seat and handlebars in what once was kind of normal.
Pages: [1]