• May 04, 2024, 02:29:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Is it junk?  (Read 12338 times)

flexydude

• View Profile
Re: Is it junk?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »

finally got my bike up to grand canyon cycles, waiting for a call still. I would have easily has 20'000 miles on it by now if it hadn' t been broke so often. I was going to take it on my elk hunt next week, but now I'm stuck with bringing my ural.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 03:32:31 AM »

finally got my bike up to grand canyon cycles, waiting for a call still. I would have easily has 20'000 miles on it by now if it hadn' t been broke so often. I was going to take it on my elk hunt next week, but now I'm stuck with bringing my ural.

Well, at least you can carry a larger elk in the sidecar of your Ural.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »

Well, I hope you'll have it back soon. I had more than an couple of issues in the first month, and I was as disappointed. You should ensure they fix all the "usual suspects", even preventively :
          - glitches
          - belt that break after 100 km (seems to be related to the rear damper - if it is too soft, the tires will hit the frame and put an excess tension on the belt)
          - dampers leaks

Just read the forum and send your contact the full list so that you do not have to wait another time. Just go to this forum to know the list of the common issues...

V

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 05:16:49 AM »

Definitely not junk.  I was one of the first to get the glitch back in spring 2012.  While on the freeway it would cut out and I'd just got real good at turning the key on and off real fast at 80 mph in heavy traffic with a passenger.   Here I am 60,000+ miles later on my 2012 Zero and I've been glitch free since then. 

I have heard they are almost done working on an even better solution then I used for the 2012 axial design motors.   I know it's hard but be patient and It will be worth it.  Or trade it in to your dealer as if it was a working bike, and get a 2014 with the new radial rotor motor with double the highway range, and hopefully a good end of year deal!!!  That's what I would recommend for everyone waiting for a motor glitch repair on a 2012.  Use it as a good excuse to upgrade!  Just make sure the dealer gives you a good price for your 2012 as if it was a bike in perfect running condition.

If you get a new bike, post here how you like it compared to the 2012.  Thanks.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »

I very much doubt my dealer would touch my 2012. It would take forever to sell even for a pittance and waste floor space. The only way to make financial sense of an old Zero is to ride it into the ground.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »

I very much doubt my dealer would touch my 2012. It would take forever to sell even for a pittance and waste floor space. The only way to make financial sense of an old Zero is to ride it into the ground.
Completely agree.

On the other hand, I wouldn't call my 2012 "junk", even though I had terrible quality issues during my first 6 months/3000 miles of ownership.  After many trips to the dealer during that time, it finally became 'stable' and has performed reasonably since (I'm now at 16000). 
Having been there, I feel flexydude's pain.   It's incredibly frustrating to have you bike in the shop week after week, and Zero has a knack of coming across as not caring if you get back on the road anytime soon.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 02:24:01 AM »

thanks for the encouraging support. John logan has finally emailed me asking what the issues are since the bike is at a new dealership, they havent worked on any yet from what he manager told me. At least I have 5 other bikes to ride, though th zero is my favorite. my 2013 suzuki gw 250 is an interesting bike. It is as smooth as the zero, almost as quiet, not quite as fast but it does get 70 mpg and will do 80mph, but i keep it at 65 most days.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »

I very much doubt my dealer would touch my 2012. It would take forever to sell even for a pittance and waste floor space.

I don't know about that.  If the only way you would buy a new bike is to trade in the old one, I think it makes a lot of sense.  And for those of us that have ridden electric motorcycles before we know it doesn't take long for a $15k bike to pay for itself vs buying gas and car repairs and maintenance which add up quick.  But for someone new to electric vehicles $15k might be too much for them as they don't understand it yet.  But for $6k or $7k for a used bike they might be willing to try it, and then want to upgrade themselves later.   Or someone who has a 2010 Zero might want to upgrade to a 2012. Two years is a good time to own something and then move on to something else anyway.  It is good to have al sorts of different bikes out there for different people.

And then for a $7k difference you get a bike with twice the range and twice the power, more comfortable and more durable.  Its hard not to justify making this conclusion when you weigh in all the factors.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:06:21 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »

There are buyers for 2012s at the right price.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »

The right price would be less than £5k which leaves me to find another £10k for a new one whilst still paying finance on the old one.

I bought my bike at the worst possible time, about a month before they released the 2013 model so it was always going to end badly. Despite the back of the bike falling off and the brakes being terrible, I still enjoy riding it which is the main thing

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »

The cheapest 2012 I know of for sale at the moment is the ZF9 up at Streetbike for £6k
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Is it junk?
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 04:21:02 AM »

I dropped Jason a line yesterday to see what he'll currently take for your old ZF9 Justin. Winter is on its way and I don't think they're getting much interest at Streetbike. I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut their losses and removed the two bikes from sale. More trouble than they're worth for a dealer.  I doubt there are many others out there like myself who would be willing to buy a 2012 model now the 2015 range is out. The 2012 models are the 'only just' ones, IMHO. I'm inclined to agree with Noiseboy that sub £5k might attract a buyer here in the UK.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:30:07 AM by MostlyBonkers »

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »

If a dealer is giving up at £6k I can't see a private sale happening at 5k. If electric bikes become popular used prices will rise again for those that want an electric commute but can't stretch to a new one.

I would probably get a better deal by converting the pack to a UPS and selling it to an IT company.

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »

The right price would be less than £5k which leaves me to find another £10k for a new one whilst still paying finance on the old one

Why are you paying for finance on a bike that doesn't work? I'm not sure what the US law is but over here the finance company is jointly liable for the item if it does not work and you can legally refuse to pay the finance instalments until the problem is rectified and you have a working item that you have contracted for...

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

So it has been at the dealer almost a month, and they still have no answer since they can't duplicate the fault, say they are having difficulty coordinating with zero engineers with the internet hookup so they can get the info to the plant. WHAT THE FUHK?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8