• May 06, 2024, 05:45:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Regen Settings  (Read 4829 times)

cloroxbb

• View Profile
Re: Regen Settings
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »

Is it normal for them to reprogram if you ask for it? I think I may like to configure my bike that way as well...
'16 Zero S 9.8

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »

Years ago I read about a record gas powered mileage run. The vehicle was on a track, I don't remember the vehicle description, but it could coast free without engine connection. The driver would accelerate slowly to a certain speed and then coast down to a certain lower speed. They did this over and over until 1 gallon of gas was used. The mileage was about 1500 mpg (I don't remember the exact figure).

When I was a teenager a friend and I used this technique to travel many miles when the model A Ford (converted to a desert buggy) we were driving was almost out of gas and we had no money (no credit cards in those days, cash only). We even coasted all the way down the Cajon Pass in SoCal. When I got home I drained the remaining gas from the tank to see how much was left. It was 1/2 cup.

Among hypermilers, it's called "pulse and glide". I generally don't use it on my Zero because the marginal efficiency doesn't compare to getting extra braking power and early braking effectiveness on Seattle's hills. But I've done that sort of thing on gas vehicles. I keep my tires at a relatively high pressure, mainly, and tuck in. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »

But I've done that sort of thing on gas vehicles. I keep my tires at a relatively high pressure, mainly, and tuck in. :)

Yeah, If I'm taking my ZERO on a pavement ride that is going to be a stretch for the mileage I make my tires hard and tuck as much as I'm comfortable with. Also hold my speed around 40 mph. Coast every shallow downhill and regen brake on steeper ones.

I'm sure every motor vehicle driver that passes me wonders - why is the guy tucking? He's only doing 45. ???

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:13 AM »

But I've done that sort of thing on gas vehicles. I keep my tires at a relatively high pressure, mainly, and tuck in. :)

Yeah, If I'm taking my ZERO on a pavement ride that is going to be a stretch for the mileage I make my tires hard and tuck as much as I'm comfortable with. Also hold my speed around 40 mph. Coast every shallow downhill and regen brake on steeper ones.

I'm sure every motor vehicle driver that passes me wonders - why is the guy tucking? He's only doing 45. ???

Trikester

Unfortunately Trikester, I can't imagine this does much for the image of electric motorcycles!  "look at that guy, sitting at 45 so he doesn't run out of battery"

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »

Unfortunately Trikester, I can't imagine this does much for the image of electric motorcycles!  "look at that guy, sitting at 45 so he doesn't run out of battery"

I'm thinking that every time I'm riding that way (about the speed I'm riding). Some people still think that all electric vehicles are "golf carts" and that I can't go any faster. I'm reinforcing their belief.

Actually, a worse image would be me pushing the bike because I rode fast, sat upright, and ran out of juice.  :'(

BTW - I love doing shorter rides at 60 to 75 mph.

NOTE: Biff has told me that the ECO settings should be independent from the SPORT settings and that when I set the ECO no brake light setting to 0 it should actually be 0 even if the SPORT setting has not been reprogrammed to 0. For some reason it didn't feel that way to me. ???

Trikester
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:23:17 AM by trikester »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]