• May 04, 2024, 06:01:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Zero: Please employ an Aerodynamicist.  (Read 11753 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Zero: Please employ an Aerodynamicist.
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2016, 02:05:51 AM »

Ok, I already knew about the stall strip but never heard it called a "Y" spoiler before. Some with vetter fairings have thought about putting such a trip down the center of the front fairing to kill side winds but I don't recall anyone who has documented it in action yet. (memory bad on this though)

As for the "venting" in the same group above it has been shown the back end really just needs to be wider than the front to catch the air flowing past the gap / rider so it can reattach to the rear of the bike. If reattachment is the goal then this would have to be a must. If you simply wanted to push air over the gap then so far as I can tell no one has submitted a way to keep the air stream intact and have it reattach later.

So really if the goal is to "clear the gap" without "reattaching" then you don't need a proper tail as if the air stream doesn't reattach then it doesn't matter what is behind you.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

sendler

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2016, 02:39:09 AM »

The vent would relate to Craig's observation of poor cross wind handling when he closed off one side of his streamliner. Leaving it open so that the lift pressure differential from side winds could vent across his lap from one side to the other was better.
The spoiler can be one line as in the photo but there are also alternative flow lines which could diverge two spoiler strips to clear the headlight and windscreen. Look at any motorcycle's wind screen after it has been riding at speed in the rain and you will see the muddy traces start out moving straight up vertically from the stagnation point and then begin to arc out more to the sides at the top of the wind screen which would make the shape of a "V" or "Y".

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:50 AM »

ahhhh, anyone seen THIS ?

laters,

laramie  ;)

ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2016, 04:21:09 AM »

Okay, so someone custom fabricated a carbon-fiber full sport fairing for an SR along with replacement cafe-style bodywork. It's also sporting a round/custom headlamp and a left brake lever. And they're presumably in Southeast Asia... somewhere.

I like it; can someone source this and see about plans or reproducing it?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

sendler

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2016, 05:39:51 AM »

It would be nice if Zero could offer a faired version like the BMW F800GT.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2016, 06:14:31 AM »

It would be nice if Zero could offer a faired version like the BMW F800GT.

That would be hard to resist! I've test-ridden the F800GT and found the bike as a whole hard to resist (the BMW salesperson's attitude tipped the scales against it). Although, GT fairings do little for the tail (other than the well-integrated panniers).

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2016, 06:58:17 AM »

Okay, so someone custom fabricated a carbon-fiber full sport fairing for an SR along with replacement cafe-style bodywork. It's also sporting a round/custom headlamp and a left brake lever. And they're presumably in Southeast Asia... somewhere.

I like it; can someone source this and see about plans or reproducing it?
Looks sharp, but looks like a carbon fiber wrap over some black material to me. See the inside of the fairing, or the inside of the rear fender and what appears to be wrinkles where the wrap was applied to the master cylinder guard.

Headlamp looks like a JW Speaker unit, better known as the Harley Daymaker LED headlight.

Definitely put some work into the fairings and trim.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »

Someone provided this on the FB group. Apparently it's a dealer customization in Indonesia, priced at 23000 USD.

http://www.trussty.com/2016/04/here-she-is-zero-electric-motorcycle.html?m=1

The dealer's website doesn't offer any details about their Zeros: http://www.garansindo.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »

For a quick reality check, here is a BMW K100:

16,3km/l

And here is its brother K100RT, same bike but with some added luxury and a fairing:

23,3km/l

I think the fairing above is of a good size for the average tourer and the improvement if fuel consumption is more than noteworthy.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »

My friend owns a 1980's K100RT and he hates the fairing.  He was asking me this weekend if he could remove the fairing and turn the RT into a "naked" bike.  So I said, give it a try.  It couldn't look any worse that a crashed RT and might (sort of) resemble a K100C.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »

That's being done al the time, not too hard to pull of. I had a K75RT and mostly riding on motorways I loved it, kept me nicely out of the wind.

Now if you would manage to put the RT fairing on the Zero that would make an interesting case :D

sendler

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 12:54:24 AM »

Just to give you an idea, this is where I'm at with my CBR250R.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2016, 02:33:44 AM »

Thanks for the profile shots. I saw your bike in a line-up pic a month ago and was already curious. Have you documented how you approached this? (on ecomodder or a blog or something)

Good job matching the paint and badging it, too. :) I'll bet people ask whether Honda makes it.

sendler

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2016, 03:29:55 AM »

I didn't really show any step by step on the build. It is marine ply for the horizontal spine and the front and the back and aluminum trim coil for the skin. The one crafty trick I came up with that really helps is that the seam for the opening of the clam shell was made with a reciprocating saw after the wood was glued together so that it fits perfectly water tight with a thin gasket even though the cut might wander a bit.
I'm already itching to do a better tail that is glass over a mould so I can use complex curves which would be much more aero.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2016, 03:32:08 AM »

Check out the dustbin bike, number 4 on this page:  https://rideapart.com/articles/top-5-bike-uriosities-week-411

It is for sale at $12,000.  The owner is located in Oakland, CA.  It might be cheaper to buy the bike, remove the Ducati engine and......  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10