• May 05, 2024, 07:23:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trouble already on day 2 of ownership  (Read 1795 times)

trekguy

• View Profile
Trouble already on day 2 of ownership
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »

My 2014 SR has some glitches that started this morning.
 After charging overnight to 100%, I rode to  my gym about 8 miles away.  After that, the screen went to 0.0% charge and the battery icon was empty. Rode to Starbucks, and after that, the bike screen showed 94% and several bars on the battery icon. What  was up with that?
  Later that day, the remaining charge is "stuck" at 60%, after many miles if in-town riding. It is now on the charger to see if that will unlock the 60% readout.

Additionally, the twine zipper strap broke off on the storage bag, so I'm using a twist-tie. Geeez!

Don't they test these bikes before shipment?

Kind of disappointed at this point...

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Trouble already on day 2 of ownership
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:07:52 AM »

I'm an SR rider and an EE, though admittedly not at all familiar with the innards of the SR. It sounds to me like there's a loose connection somewhere, so the display can't update correctly. Often a connector pin will push partway out of its housing and will make contact for a while, but vibrate loose after a short amount of time. I'd guess it's a pretty quick fix once it's found.

The bag, well yeah, mine failed too. The zipper was fine, the bag was fine, but the stitching ripped out. They replaced mine for free under warranty while the bike was in the shop for its recall. I've heard other people had the problem and just took it to a local seamstress and had a proper sewing job done on it, but my second one has lasted for months now with no issues.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Falco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:33 AM »

My sr has the same problem. The solution is to update the firmware. Im waiting to see how this goes. Let us know how you get on as it could also be the bms is faulty or a loose connection. Does the charging show up on the phone app for you?

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 04:21:34 AM »

Being that the bike is 2 days old, I just got the clock set for 12-hour mode!  Have not messed with the bluetooth adjustments yet.  Can I do the software update myself (somehow)? or  does that require shop service?

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »

update on my problem:
After the third try of plugging the bike in, it now reads 100% charge.  I hope it was just an electronic  glitch of some kind, never to re-occur again.
Thanks for the help.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »

Generally speaking, software updates will require shop service.

The bluetooth app connector allows you to pull off service logs - you might want to fire those off to Zero customer service and see what was going on. Hopefully it's just a one-time glitch.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/app/help/ios/connectivity.php
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Falco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »

I asked about the Bluetooth as my bms is waiting replacement and none of the charging info shows up in the app and never has.

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:53:45 AM »

My wife purchased her 2014 DS 3 weeks ago and it has not run since the first drive home. After ~30 miles of driving the bike home 7/26, the bike charged for about 15%, then stopped. The motor would make a sound, but not propel the bike more than a couple of inches. So, we paid to haul the bike back to the dealer a week, or so, later. Their tech was on vacation for a week, and then a Zero tech viewed the bike the next week. We've pleaded with Zero Dir of Marketing to assist and hope all will be resolved in a day or two.

This is our second 2014 DS purchase in 3 months and it's obvious we really like the idea of an eBike, and appreciate the Zero model. We appreciate that we live only 20 miles from the Zero factory and the eBike is part of the successful California electric vehicles startups.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »

Now that my SR is 3 weeks old today and 1400 miles on the odometer, I think we bonded.
The only glitch I have happens just once after a full 100% charge. The bike will momentarily loose power for about 2 seconds, then resume forward motion while the screen then displays 0.0% range and the battery icon shows empty.
After a re-boot(?) with cycling the key off and on and the system doing the 111,222,333 etc. thing, all correct data is restored and I am good to go for the rest of the day.

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »

I'm happy to report that John, a Zero Cust Tech, picked up our brand-new, with 25 miles on the only ride, 2014 DS from Mission Motorcycles late last week and returned the bike yesterday, Monday, as promised. It was great to see him driving to the house and we enjoyed a short and fun visit. He's a good combination of engineer/tech and avid motorcyclist, and an overall happy guy. He checked everything on the bike, from FW to belt tension, and even a few miles ride before delivering it to us.

The bike had an unusual component issue inside the battery that was acting intermittently, and that is a reason it was difficult for Mission Motorcycles to repair. My wife rode her new bike, for the first time, this morning and loves it!

We learned that Zero has a Factory Test Ride day the first Friday of every month, and they may even offer a short tour of the facility. We're definitely going to attend!
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »

Definitely take the tour if you have a chance.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]