• May 08, 2024, 06:17:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GM to make hybrids again  (Read 296 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
GM to make hybrids again
« on: January 31, 2024, 07:56:26 PM »

I heard a short news headline yesterday that mentioned that due to demand from both their customers and dealers, GM will be marketing a hybrid car again, like the long-lamented Volt that they axed shortly after they introduced the Bolt.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile
Re: GM to make hybrids again
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 10:33:32 PM »

Fail...

And they wonder why Tesla is in the position they are in.

Cas :)

Motoproponent

• View Profile
Re: GM to make hybrids again
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 11:07:21 PM »

Idunno man,

Our family has a first Gen Volt. Honestly, the ability to go 40 miles on electric only makes it a great runabout. Gets the groceries, gets my daughter to and from school. But knowing that I can just take it to the other ocean if I need to provides a piece of mind. It's the exact opposite of range anxiety. The numbers say it's hot garbage, but owning one feels like you're getting away with something.

Plus the 1st gen has no mechanical transmission so the reliability is through the roof compared to other hybrids.

Realistically, its a barely capable EV, and very inefficient when running on the generator, (turns gas into kinetic energy that spins up an armature to make electricity to turn a motor to make kinetic energy again) but we got it used for a nickel, and it fits our use case very well.

I get it.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube
Pages: [1]