• May 18, 2024, 10:35:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Seat alternatives  (Read 1423 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Seat alternatives
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 12:30:21 PM »

So, the consensus is to have a girl behind you with two free hands and a backpack  ;D ;D ;D

The German distributor of Corbin answered promptly, albeit they only told me the price (849 € plus 25 € shipping) and the delivery time (up to 16 weeks) for the seat.
My questions regarding the seat heating were not answered yet, but I can easily see that the total will be near the four digits.

TBH, before shelling out that money I will see if I can find a local craftshop. They will not necessarily be cheaper but I will be better off with regard to warranty.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 06:39:24 PM »

A great local shop can really customize the seat for you.  The risk is that a low-volume shop may or may not be great, and may or may not be able to give you great results.  I have a number of friends who went that route and the reports vary from "best thing I have sat on" to only being able to ride an hour in pain at most.  Corbin is a known middle ground.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2023, 01:27:38 AM »

This is a shot in the dark but here goes.

If they have an American Legion post there, go ask them where the nearest custom leather shop /  seat shop is at.
or the German counterpart of what that may be, or any local bike club for that matter.  They should know whos there and who's good.
The legion post has a Riders chapter, ie  bike, not gang but group.

If not that, just goto any biker bar and ask.  Contrary to what rumors idiots like to spread, NO you won't get beat up by going into a bar like that if you are a normal person (ie not alternatively affiliated), in fact they tend to be quite friendly to non 'members'.

Thats how I found the leathers shop here in Jax for my duds and vest and stuff.  Small shop in a strip mall, really don't advertise, but apparently are known all over the place (except by me heh)

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2023, 03:01:02 AM »

In my area, the custom chopper/biker seats are the last thing you want.  They are all built for looks first, comfort...who cares?  You will be fine for the two miles from your dental office to the bar, and back.  I tried to have conversations with two of them about comfort and padding.  Both just pointed to some foam and said they just make whatever shape I want out of that.  Then I bought a Seat Concepts cover and foam, brought it to and, they charged a ludicrous price to do a shit job.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2023, 12:24:10 PM »

I already asked some aquaintances for local saddlery shops and I found two which were recommended.

Agreed, there is always the danger that they f**k up and then I have shelled out a lot of money for crap.
That makes Corbin somewhat attractive, they have a reputation from having already delivered to a wide customer base. Secondly I do not need to give them my actual seat, so I can use the bike while the new one is manufactured.

@Aaron: I will inquire in the Blue Oyster Bar where the patrons should know leather shops for sure  ;D ;D ;D

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 05:47:35 PM »

I think the whips are 10 percent off, so if they mess up your seat you can beat them into doing it right the second time around!

It's Black Friday, get the black leather, it's on sale.  Not to mention with black seats, when it's 110 degrees outside and super sunny, you worried about sweating your ass off?  no problem, it'll have your ass dried off in a jiffy!

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 11:28:05 PM »

Secondly I do not need to give them my actual seat, so I can use the bike while the new one is manufactured.

LOL on the Blue Oyster joke.

An additional benefit to keeping your seat is the ability to still swap to it.  When I had my Corbin, I would sometimes switch to the stock seat for short rides, and sporty rides (IE, the type that could land you in jail).  The Corbins tend to keep you in your seat, and body position for sporty riding is a bit harder.

Kradblatt

• View Profile
    • Kradblatt - a german motorcycle magazine
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 06:26:48 PM »

Got my Esse seat done at a local seat-maker (upholstery).
That way it’s possible to get exactly what you want/need.
It’s also often cheaper cause you use the old seat as base.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 10:33:41 PM »

Looks exactly like the original. Have you replaced the upholstery with memory foam? And is it covered with real leather or leatherette/vinyl?
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2023, 12:01:09 PM »

So you pick up the girl and have her hold your stuff.  Best of both worlds !!

How many watts does the seat need to heat you?  The energica does have a 12 volt rail which can be used for the heated hand grips, but I am wondering if the converter that does the 300 volt to 12 volt, how many amps can it take.  Would it be able to handle handgrips AND the seat too?

Aaron

On the Experia it just plugs straight into the 12V supplied plug on the right side of the bike under the fuse box,  there's two of these 12v plugs...very simple.

No modifications or extra wiring needed. The Experia has a Frunk so no need for extra pockets or anything to carry USB cables ETC.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 01:46:40 PM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »

Darn, I like that seat but it appears it's putting you up an inch or so on the bike.  For me, that's an issue, I am barely now at where I can flat foot the bike, I don't want to be tippy toeing it.   Maybe I need to get platform riding boots  8) :-*

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2023, 01:14:27 AM »

Darn, I like that seat but it appears it's putting you up an inch or so on the bike.  For me, that's an issue, I am barely now at where I can flat foot the bike, I don't want to be tippy toeing it.   Maybe I need to get platform riding boots  8) :-*

Aaron

Assuming Experia..?? I wonder if modifying the shock links would help, (making slightly longer ones).....they're a very simple thing to do by the looks....Or, a slightly shorter spring..?? Then just push the forks up through the triple clamps a similar amount = instant lowered bike. My BMW S1000XR has a similar shock linkage setup...it was quite tall also, I'm 180cm tall, just shy of 6' and I was struggling to flat foot the XR before I put lowering links on it.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 11:41:21 AM »

smithy, while it sounds like an easy fix, I am suspecting that if you do that you are going to change pretty much all the handling dynamics of the bike, and not just a smoother ride thing.  It'd be worth looking into though but you'd need to play around a bit to see how it handles with the new angles and dangles.

aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2023, 02:20:38 AM »

Got the seat last week, put about 100 miles on it, much easier on the hind end and better position under hard acceleration. It might be an 1 inch or less taller.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2023, 02:38:39 AM »

smithy, while it sounds like an easy fix, I am suspecting that if you do that you are going to change pretty much all the handling dynamics of the bike, and not just a smoother ride thing.  It'd be worth looking into though but you'd need to play around a bit to see how it handles with the new angles and dangles.

aaron

Not if you do the same at both ends. Will just lose a bit of ground clearance methinks.

Smithy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3