• May 14, 2024, 09:52:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

How many 'show stopper' problems did you have with your Zero?

0         (normal maintenance and wear only, I'm very happy)
- 38 (50%)
1         (but I'm happy)
- 9 (11.8%)
1         (it still irritates me)
- 3 (3.9%)
2         (but I'm happy)
- 11 (14.5%)
2         (it still irritates me)
- 1 (1.3%)
>=3    (but I'm happy)
- 3 (3.9%)
>=3    (it still irritates me)
- 4 (5.3%)
too much, but I'm still happy
- 0 (0%)
too much, I sold the bike or never buy 1 again
- 4 (5.3%)
too much, I sold the bike and waiting for better times
- 3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: POLL: ___ Lucky or normal ___ <<Zero owners satisfactory status>>  (Read 4062 times)

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: ___ Lucky or normal ___ <<Zero owners satisfactory status>>
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »

TOO MUCH TROUBLE: When I eventually do get it back from the dealer (it is still there from nov 2017, started with 2nd failed DC to DC converter then moved onto spectacular firmware update failure as posted on this forum under separate thread) I will definitely sell it and never buy one again. IN FACT, I have asked their after sales service manager josef morat and new ceo sam paschel to buy back this rubbish bike from me, but no luck with that. PS apparently zero did buy back all their 2012 models at some stage because of insurmountable technical problems!?

Sad to hear it's been like this and you lost interest in Zero completely.
Zero could have prevented it if they had a plan like > x months of non solvable problems: give a replacement bike until Zero itself is 100% sure after test/test riding the bike it's good again.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:46:27 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

Jorg

• Zero DS 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »

I'm sorry for the people in the US who have such issues, but makes me appreciate the Scandinavian consumer protection laws a whole lot more.

In the shop under warranty (first 5 years), then you would have the right to a loaner until it is fixed. More than 6 weeks of repairs starts to smell like full or partial refund, based on the age of the item in question.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »

TOO MUCH TROUBLE

qorw,

It's very sad that this happened to you and your bike. It is a lemon. Sure EVs are new tech, but come on -- no repair should take more than a month in the U.S. and maybe two months abroad.

Zero should buy it back because it would be worth it to them. There is so much to be learned. They should undertake a deep case study to figure out exactly what happened with the hardware/firmware failures/incompatibilities, as well as failures in dealer/customer communications/relations/compensation, and figure out where all the time/effort/money is really going in the processes of debugging/procuring/shipping/installing components.

At my prior company, my role was to be part of the "Forensics" group. We were responsible for triaging problems and implementing/feeding back real design/process improvements to engineering/QA/support/sales. It included soothing over customer relations via good/clear/correct communications/updates/reports. In high tech, failure to do this means inability to scale.

I answered this poll as having a single issue. In 2016 there was a batch of wheels with stripped spokes. This apparent supplier problem was addressed quite professionally by the dealer and Zero, including a loaner I didn't even have to ask for, by replacing the entire wheel.

I hop on the FX multiple times daily always with a huge smile. Every single stop light the cars joyfully recede into my mirrors. I flog the throttle, hop curbs and ride in the rain, yet it has been 100% trouble free and maintenance free going on 2 years. Also quite utilitarian with the top case and ease of getting around. I can hardly fathom being without it. I think banning EV MCs from your life may be a mistake and hope Zero comes through for you in a big way so you don't have to.

Cheers,
Curt

dennis-NL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »

40 members voted, 47, 5% never had a problem.
Don't know how many members actually have a Zero, hope more will respond.
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 02:56:38 AM »

Newer rider here, only 900 miles.
Not a show stopper but annoying: sidestand error code. Did not stop the bike but made me stop to look it up and figure out which wire to jiggle.
Cable length is too short on the 2018 S to allow enough bar riser for an upright touring position.
That said, this is the most fun moto I’ve ever ridden.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:08:50 AM by heroto »

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »

2016 DSR
Arizona, USA where temperatures get intense
Passing 12k miles on bike in an early morning ride tomorrow

Just today I replaced stock tires with pirelli scorpion trail 2's. Dealer was awesome, ride is smoother than ever, belt tension felt the same, everything normal. The previous servicing I did was in 2016 at 800 miles. I've not had to do a single thing since then. I go to work -> cover bike for 8hrs with a silver 'uv protection' bs cover -> go home, keep bike inside. Dealer in this area said I came in with the most miles on a zero, and I thought I haven't put much on it yet.

I've heard of people having issues in this heat on the FX model (freeway riding?) but have never experienced such an issue w/ the DSR. There was one afternoon in 116F heat, not in direct sunlight, charging from 40%, it stopped at about 75% or so with a blinking yellow temperature icon. If I remember correctly from the manual this is normal procedure for protecting the battery, I just unplugged and brought it in then charged later. That happened only once so far as I know. I seriously love this bike, it has been extremely reliable.

Sold my sv650 after neglecting it so much since getting the DSR. I plan to wait till next year or 2020 for an FXS and then chill on the moto buying. The only thing I feel zero could implement is traction control and better charging options, and I'm sure they know it(?)

When I see complaints in the zero motorcycles group on facebook or on these boards it usually sounds like a bad dealer issue or something. I'd guess there are a lot of zero's out there owned by people who aren't posting complaints online and are just living their lives with a kickass bike.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »

From the prior post:
"The only thing I feel zero could implement is traction control and better charging options, and I'm sure they know it(?)"

Yep.

Add cruise control and a fairing option, and Zero would be up to date for 2018 rather than 2008.

GilTitan06

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »

No problem until now. I just improved the face and the seat. I'm a Zero driver happy.

Good road.
On the road again...

EkrebDK

• View Profile

Zero FX 5,7 2015 - pretty happy with it - though I find suspension crude (not refined), but maybe I need to work more on adjustment. Only issue is that display reads totalt nonsens until start of actually driving (>5 km/t) and when driving >100 km/t. Fine when stopped at red lights. Quite bizarre, but afraid that an update might f**k things up further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennis-NL

• View Profile

Zero FX 5,7 2015 - pretty happy with it - though I find suspension crude (not refined), but maybe I need to work more on adjustment. Only issue is that display reads totalt nonsens until start of actually driving (>5 km/t) and when driving >100 km/t. Fine when stopped at red lights. Quite bizarre, but afraid that an update might f**k things up further.

Strange, seems like 2015 models on this forum has most troubles.
I've got 2013DS with an update last year and before and after had no problems.
Has it something to do with the new digital dashboards being introduced by that time?

Suspension was bad, but is good now after doing a lot of changes on settings.
Every person has a different weight and idea of comfort, so use and try all the possible settings.
Takes you a few days, but result is better!

EkrebDK

• View Profile
POLL: ___ Lucky or normal ___ <<Zero owners satisfactory status>>
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

Suspension was bad, but is good now after doing a lot of changes on settings.
Every person has a different weight and idea of comfort, so use and try all the possible settings.
Takes you a few days, but result is better!
[/quote]

Ok, will try to work on suspension settings further. Can’t seem to get rid of the “bouncing” element.

Anybody else with same dash problem?

Curt

• View Profile

Only issue is that display reads totalt nonsens until start of actually driving (>5 km/t) and when driving >100 km/t. Fine when stopped at red lights. Quite bizarre, but afraid that an update might f**k things up further.

That really sounds like a loose or dirty or oxidized or corroded connector. I suspect the display has a module driven by a serial signal from the computer and the signal is noisy. That would agree with what you see, the signal quality being dependent on speed and vibration, and operation of the bike not otherwise affected. I bet it's not too hard to fix by locating the connectors and treating the ends with contact cleaner. Definitely not a firmware issue.

EkrebDK

• View Profile

Think you’re right. Will work on it tonight and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EkrebDK

• View Profile

Just split all connectors behind headlights / dash and sprayed WD40 for connectivity. And it freakin' worked!  [emoji2]

Thanks Mate [emoji106]

dennis-NL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »

Update: 14-aug-2018

53 Zero owners responded, 27 (50,9%) have normal maintenance and wear only.

Hope more Zero owners respond!
But if Zero reads this, there is more work to be done for sure.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:03:05 PM by dennis-NL »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4