• May 04, 2024, 01:43:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Flashing display after plugged in for charging ?2 weeks  (Read 1164 times)

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
Flashing display after plugged in for charging ?2 weeks
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:39:04 AM »

I have 2 of the 2014 DS. One of them has a charging issue that BMW/Zero of San Jose has, so far, been unable to repair. When not using the bike for >10 days, or so, the display will be flashing, as in this youtube:

Turning the bike power key has no influence. Unplugging the AC charging cable, then turning the bike switch on and off, will reset the display to a normal mode. Sometimes, the charge indication is as low as 90%, if the bike was unused for several weeks. New FW was installed 2 months ago, and still a problem.

The bike, otherwise, is fine. But, it is a hassle to remember to unplug it, then plug it back in the night before a ride. Anyone else have a similar problem? Perhaps the contactor unit? I'll bring it back to the BMW/Zero shop soon, and offer any suggestions. Thanks!
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Flashing display after plugged in for charging ?2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »

The only time I have seen something like that was one time when my bike was charging. I looked up the code in the owners manual and it seemed to suggest that the charger had failed a "self-test". I unplugged the charger and then plugged it back in and the flashing stopped and it never returned.  Now I unplug my charger once the display reads 100% and haven't had a problem since.  Perhaps you charger is failing?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BeezrGeezr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 02:40:59 AM »

My brand new FX does that after five days on the charger. Always has. When I go into the shop I unplug the cord and plug it back in. No problems. I do think it is a GREAT idea to re-plug it the night before a ride to be sure of a 100% charge.

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:04 AM »

Thanks, guys, and it's been this way since new. Other than a nuisance, it really hasn't bothered me, but I am happy to learn that others experience it, too!
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

BertTrack

• Nutty
  • Zero FX 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »

My Zero FX did the same after a few days of having it.
X rated fun. I mean FX

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 11:44:21 PM »

I have not experienced this issue. But what I have done is purchase a timer with an outlet on it. The price of electricity goes up between 1PM and 6PM, so I have a timer that turns off the outlet between those times. If what you need is to unplug the bike every so often, perhaps "unplugging" it once per day via the timer will work for you.

The timer was like $10 on Amazon.

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 06:55:50 AM »

My 2015 SR does it intermittently. Sometimes it reaches 100% and stops flashing. Other times it just keeps flashing. If I unplug and wait a couple minutes and plug it back in, it will flash a few minutes and then glow steady. I notice it can go back to flashing after a few days but will stop once it's done it's thing, whatever that is. But if it doesn't stop flashing by morning at it shows 100%, I just cycle it and it's fine.

George in San Diego
Pages: [1]