• May 07, 2024, 01:41:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A sign of the times?  (Read 1198 times)

trikester

• View Profile
A sign of the times?
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »

Today, on my 2012 DS I did a 34 mile ride from my desert place. 23 miles of highway and 11 miles of sometimes very nasty trail (probably pushing the limits of a heavy dual-sport). When I got back to my place and opened the garage door, where I always have a radio on NPR playing 24 / 7, I heard the tail end of an electric vehicle description (don't know what vehicle) that was saying; "125 miles on a single charge".

I thought "a sign of the times" at the end of a very satisfying and challenging Zero DS ride the first thing I hear, on returning to civilization, is an ad for an electric vehicle.

I think the time for electrics is close at hand. 8)

Trikester

BTW - Some deep soft sandy areas. What a benefit to have at my fingertips instant torque when the front wheel would start to lose it. The old dirt bike saying; "the throttle is your friend" never had more meaning than it does now with electric power. :)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: A sign of the times?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

BTW - Some deep soft sandy areas. What a benefit to have at my fingertips instant torque when the front wheel would start to lose it. The old dirt bike saying; "the throttle is your friend" never had more meaning than it does now with electric power. :)

Even with the mobility scooter style low speed delivery of the Zero?

trikester

• View Profile
Re: A sign of the times?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »

Even with the mobility scooter style low speed delivery of the Zero?

It was quick enough for me. However, with the introduction of the 2013 FX that objection becomes a thing of the past. Only two reasons to not choose electric for dirt riding remain: cost and weight. For shorter rides on the 2013 FX one battery can be removed and thereby drop the bike's weight another 42 pounds! That gets it in the weight realm of gas dirt bikes of similar power. Cost? Well that's a factor that isn't going to get much better anytime soon.

Today, I'm going with one human power mobility.  ;) A nine mile (round trip) beautiful desert canyon hike (wilderness area, no vehicles). Predicted high of 78 degrees, bright sun, blue sky.  8)

Trikester
Pages: [1]