• May 05, 2024, 04:21:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2016 Zero Motorcycles  (Read 13620 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:54 AM »

3) reverse switch

You can easily ad a reverse switch to any Zero from 2013 on (Maybe even earlier). I added a reverse switch to my 2013 FX after learning how to do it (information from Zero eng) on my Zero e-trike conversion, which used the 2013 Powertrain.

At first I didn't think I would use it much on the lightweight FX but I have surprised myself at how much I do use it. Very handy!

One thing I should have done, had I thought of it, would have been to use a double pole switch to sound a beeper, when in reverse, so that I wouldn't accidentally start out in reverse. Hasn't happened yet, but could.  :o

Trikester

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:23 AM »

I would like to see lighter weight and a lower seat ht.....but I don't think I'm going to get it. I would like faster acceleration too...like zero to sixty in 2.8 seconds.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 03:36:20 AM »

I agree with seat height. Not for me, but some friends want to get one and they are too tall right now.  Also, another style would be awesome.  Chrome anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 05:12:07 AM »

I would like faster acceleration too...like zero to sixty in 2.8 seconds.

I don't think any acceleration improvement beyond the SR will sell bikes. They'd have to switch to a chain at that point, anyway.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 05:17:12 AM »

A really fast onboard charger is probably the biggest ticket to growth for Zero. Maybe that means an incompatible voltage jump for the battery stack, and maybe not.

Nice options to have: variable regen control, limited reverse gear, traction control (for all that torque on bad/wet surfaces), and a fairing.

I haven't had to mod my bike for the reverse gear, etc., but my warrantee expires soon so that'd be prime time.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 06:18:51 AM »

3) reverse switch

You can easily ad a reverse switch to any Zero from 2013 on (Maybe even earlier). I added a reverse switch to my 2013 FX after learning how to do it (information from Zero eng) on my Zero e-trike conversion, which used the 2013 Powertrain.

At first I didn't think I would use it much on the lightweight FX but I have surprised myself at how much I do use it. Very handy!

One thing I should have done, had I thought of it, would have been to use a double pole switch to sound a beeper, when in reverse, so that I wouldn't accidentally start out in reverse. Hasn't happened yet, but could.  :o

Trikester

I thought I read somewhere that the Sevcon controller software needs to be changed to allow the reverse function. Wouldn't that require special hardware and interface to change that?

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »

The reason a 2.8 second zero to sixty acceleration time would sell is because suddenly the Zero would become the fastest production bike on the market. It would sell for the same reason people buy race bikes and never take them to the track...because of the aura of something special and unique. I would buy one and I'm am old guy. Lots of bikes go 3.3 seconds zero to sixty. All the 600s and liter race bikes, for example. Thing is, it would be fairly easy, I think, for Zero to make a bike that accelerates that fast. The press coverage would be phenomenal. The fastest production bike zero to sixty according to Wikepedia is the 2008 Gixxer 1000 at 2.8 sec., so I guess the zero would have to go 2.79 sec. It would be a fantastic hill climber too. Range might be an issue though riding like that.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 07:00:32 AM »

The reason a 2.8 second zero to sixty acceleration time would sell is because suddenly the Zero would become the fastest production bike on the market. It would sell for the same reason people buy race bikes and never take them to the track...because of the aura of something special and unique. I would buy one and I'm am old guy. Lots of bikes go 3.3 seconds zero to sixty. All the 600s and liter race bikes, for example. Thing is, it would be fairly easy, I think, for Zero to make a bike that accelerates that fast. The press coverage would be phenomenal. The fastest production bike zero to sixty according to Wikepedia is the 2008 Gixxer 1000 at 2.8 sec., so I guess the zero would have to go 2.79 sec. It would be a fantastic hill climber too. Range might be an issue though riding like that.

The question is whether they'd gain more riders and profit per investment versus making a bike with better utility and appealing outside the amped-up sports market. IMO, Zero needs a marketing angle like the "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign.

But then, I've never liked fast bikes once I got on them.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 07:11:35 AM »

I suppose. No reason Zero couldn't put out a sexy hooligan bike and a refined, nice guy bike. Personally, I'd go for the hooligan bike....light and fast. I would have to be able to touch the ground with my feet though.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »

I would like to see a hand brake on the left bar. I find a hand brake easier to use than a foot brake. Whenever I hop on my scooter I feel that I have much better control of the brakes using two hands. As for the 0-60 time, I think the bike has enough torque as-is to get to sixty under 3 seconds but the torque is not all delivered from a standstill. It does not jump off the line. I don't know if Zero is afraid of breaking belts or if they don't want us going over backwards but there is certainly more power to be had at take-off judging from the incredible roll-on once all the torque is available.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »

Fast j1772 charging, 100 mile hwy range, my work only has j1772 for electricar charging etc, no plugs! I maybe a single example of a slightly progressive workplace but this is the tipping point for me, no j1772 no charge , I won't buy without it! (I see that the zero website says it might work with some j1772 , but for the price they ask I want complete compliance no compromise ) brammo did it 3 MY ago!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »

I thought I read somewhere that the Sevcon controller software needs to be changed to allow the reverse function. Wouldn't that require special hardware and interface to change that?

Yes, I took it to Harlan to do the software change, so I don't know how it could be done when that isn't an option.

Trikester

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »

Ndm,

If you want the ability to charge at 100% of the J1772 systems then Zero is not the bike for you! Right now GE Wattstations will not charge a Zero because it requires communication with the Zero's BMS and it isn't set up for that. I also tried a PEP station and could not charge and I suspect the same issue. But the list of J1772 systems that do work with the Zero is pretty long and I doubt you will have a problem charging. Some of the models that do work include Eaton, Clipper Creek, Aerovironment, Bosch, Blink, Chargepoint, Schneider, Models at Ford dealers. and probably a few others I am forgetting. But the way the Zero is set up makes it very easy to make an adapter for NEMA 14-50 plugs so you can charge at campgrounds.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »

Get a J1772 from Harlan and you can charge anywhere in the US. I've gone coast to coast 3 times and charged everywhere! Never have range anxiety again! Just go! I never look to where the next charge station is, I just pick a road and go! When I get low, 20%, I pull up chargepoint on my iPhone and pick the closest one with a restaurant and charge while I pee and eat and when I'm done the bike is already full long before I was done eating.  Get the fast charge kit from Hollywood Electrics and never worry about range again!  It's just so simple and easy I must say every Zero should have 6kW charging and you can go anywhere anytime and never think about it.  Just ride!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:31:49 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »

I think zero are very fortunate as a company to have such committed and passionate people behind their products, Harlan in particular has advanced their machines far more than they might know, I understand there are a myriad of options out there in the aftermarket , having a faster charging system stock on the bike would open the door to people who don't want to void the warranty on their pricey new machine
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike
Pages: 1 [2] 3