• May 09, 2024, 04:50:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Zero issues recall for controller cutouts for 2013 bikes  (Read 6947 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero issues recall for controller cutouts for 2013 bikes
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »

I just received my recall notice today.  It came "certified" first class mail and I had to sign for the letter.  That is different than recalls from BMW.  You just get a regular first class letter - if you are lucky.  Also the recall letters from BMW typically come months after the recall notices get published on the government web site.   ???  In that regard, Zero is much faster than der Corp.  Hopefully, I will hear from my dealer sometime next week that they have the necessary equipment to perform the firmware update.  The letter said that it will be at the dealer's shop by Monday.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »

Don't know if it is fair to compare to BMW. I got the http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/zero-motorcycles-recalls-s-and-ds-bikes-080913.html
from August 2013 two weeks ago. (US <->Europe will take time?)
Not 100% sure if there is an additional delay by my dealer because my bike is not affected but my dealer asked me to check the bolts to be dead certain! (I like the wordplay here)
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

zerotracer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 03:54:44 AM »

According to this page, it´s only 667 units there has the "glitch" problem

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/zero-motorcycles-controller-drift-recall/
Yamaha FZ6 S2 - 2008 "sold"
Zero S ZF9 - 2012 - production nr. 0014 "sold"
Zero S ZF11.4 - 2013 - production nr. 2887 - firmware updated 12/3-14 - new BMS board 28/7-14 - ZF12.5 battery upgrade 20/4-16

Denmark Europe

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »

But from the production date it seems that almost all the 2013 models are concerned, isn't it ?
Laurent

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »

I don't know if we will be warn here in France, and I don't know if my dealer has the capability to update the ESC firmware. That's gonna be a good test for warranty out of the US !!!
Laurent

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 12:13:51 AM »

The 2012 have had an up-date in the first year and my European dealer got the PC with SW + IXXAT USB to CAN dongle to do the up-date. I don't know why your dealer shouldn't be able to do.

If not have a trip to Bavaria and I will make sure you get your up-date here.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:38 AM »

Houps, Bavaria, I'm gonna need a very long electric cable !!!

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 06:40:57 AM »

I don't expect that Zero will allow owners to update Firmware.

When my 2012 was updated I watched the mechanic do some of it and it involved some special tooling, a lot of plastic coming off, and plugging special connectors into special places. 

In the current form, there is likely too much risk for Zero to turn that over to owners.   

With some engineering for future models it might be possible but I just hope that they get it to a stable working state and updates are not required.
I just talked to Ryan T at Zero and he said they are working on a remote fix for owners who live far away from dealers. They will ship out a cable set with a USB connection, and with a Remote 1-2-3 software download will be able to update the software after "mapping" the control board with the owner going through a series of steps with the throttle while the bike is on a jack. He said they plan to do get more cable sets and start working with those owners in a few weeks.

He also said that the quits-while-running problem seems to be occur repeatedly on some bikes and not at all on most, so if it hasn't happened yet, and chances are pretty good it won't.

Cheers, EastSider

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 06:08:09 AM »

I've had Zero issues (pun intended) in 5K miles on my 11.4 DS so I suspect I'm one of the ones in the "it probably will not happen" group.  I'll check with Zero on the do it yourself update as I prefer not to work with the dealer.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 04:58:40 AM »

Just got my recall service done. Only had to wait around for a couple hours, and was hoping to get a complimentary test ride on the new SR... no dice. Does anyone know if there are any other changes included in the update besides the fix?
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 05:55:56 AM »

I just had the firmware update performed on my 2012 S.  It took the shop one hour to complete the work.  While there I had a nice talk about Zeros with the office manager.  They had a bunch of 2014 Zeros on the floor (one of which is my bike) and I was told that at least two or three new Zeros were waiting for their owners to pick them up soon.  It seems like Zero sales are pretty hot right now - of course our dry and sunny weather no doubt helps.   :)   (On the other hand, hydro power is going to be hard to come by this summer.   :(  )
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »

Richard, I will be interested to see if the update on your 2012 will allow the bike to go after just one boot or whether you still need to re-boot to get going. I had my 2013 S update yesterday and so far it has gone after a single boot each time whereas before I needed to consistently re-boot. I wonder if there is some connection between the stopping while running issue and the contactor not closing during boot up? So far it appears that may be the case. Time will tell. We had unseasonably warm weather today though...high of 76 F, and the re-boots seem to occur in cool weather, so I suppose things could change as the weather cools.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »

Richard, I will be interested to see if the update on your 2012 will allow the bike to go after just one boot or whether you still need to re-boot to get going. I had my 2013 S update yesterday and so far it has gone after a single boot each time whereas before I needed to consistently re-boot. I wonder if there is some connection between the stopping while running issue and the contactor not closing during boot up? So far it appears that may be the case. Time will tell. We had unseasonably warm weather today though...high of 76 F, and the re-boots seem to occur in cool weather, so I suppose things could change as the weather cools.

Just for you (and me), I stuck my bike out in the 35 degree F (it hasn't been this cold in a month) shade outside my garage this morning and booted it up.  In the past it would never have started on the first try, but this time it did.  It looks like the firmware update solved that problem.   ;D

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:19 AM »

That's good news. Several people seem to have had this same problem and VCHAMPAIN said he needed multiple boots to get his going. I hope the new firmware fixes his issue too.
42F and dry after this morning's rain so I am going for a ride. I had to reprogram my eco mode after the fix. I set everything to max. In sport mode the bike just rolls too easily for me and I find myself coming up too hot behind cars and into corners. The max setting for off-throttle is what I mostly like because it is similar to strong engine braking which I am used to.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 01:33:43 AM »

I don't know if we will be warn here in France, and I don't know if my dealer has the capability to update the ESC firmware. That's gonna be a good test for warranty out of the US !!!
Laurent

They don't but will. My bike was supposed to be delivered last week, but it's not going out of the dealer since he is waiting for the special equipment to do the update. So they know about it, but need the equipment. Guess I need to wait another week or two before I get my DS.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5