• May 10, 2024, 01:40:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Glitch  (Read 31378 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Glitch
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

It seems like the larger front cogwheel should be able to be sourced from the Zero factory. You should contact their technical department about that. Maybe giving them a call or visiting their factory might obtain the desired item.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 101 is causing your glitch problem. It probably has something to do with Moffitt Field, where NASA and the Ames Laboratory is located.  I hear they are working on the flying saucer that they located in the Oregon backwoods there.  ;D I haven't ridden my bike on that freeway for any more that a couple of miles. I stick to I-280 and haven't had a single glitch on that freeway - although I admit to steering clear of the Stanford Linear Accelerator.    :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »

I lived for 7 month in Cupertino reading you ride 101 and 280 or a trip to SF make me " homesick "  :'(

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »

It seems like the larger front cogwheel should be able to be sourced from the Zero factory. You should contact their technical department about that. Maybe giving them a call or visiting their factory might obtain the desired item.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 101 is causing your glitch problem. It probably has something to do with Moffitt Field, where NASA and the Ames Laboratory is located.  I hear they are working on the flying saucer that they located in the Oregon backwoods there.  ;D I haven't ridden my bike on that freeway for any more that a couple of miles. I stick to I-280 and haven't had a single glitch on that freeway - although I admit to steering clear of the Stanford Linear Accelerator.    :o

Heh.  It always has happened between Story and McKee... ???
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »

OMG! Don't ride anywhere near the meteor crater in AZ.

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

OMG! Don't ride anywhere near the meteor crater in AZ.
The one that just missed the highway? :)
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »

LOL ! That's a good one  ;D

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »

It seems like the larger front cogwheel should be able to be sourced from the Zero factory. You should contact their technical department about that. Maybe giving them a call or visiting their factory might obtain the desired item. ...

Zero informed me that the 28T sprocket is available, requires a longer belt, which requires removal of the swingarm.  They suggest I get my "local" dealer to do the job...

Having scored a speeding ticket going a laser-clocked 86 MPH on I-80E [in my car] last Saturday, my perceived requirement for sustained speeds over 80 are somewhat diminished, so I believe I'll keep the 25T stock sprocket on there for a while!

::)

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »

Was about half way to work this morning, going 75 or so in the diamond lane, when the motor abruptly quit.  ... overheating seems unlikely...   ?

This has happened a couple more times since I got the street tires...

Just emailed the folks at Zero:

"Greetings,

I have owned my 2012 DS ZF6 [#00017] since late January and enjoy it immensely.

OTOH, I have experienced motor shutdown on the highway several times, even since having the throttle handle, controller & software update serviced; each time after a period of a few minutes in excess of 75 MPH "airspeed", i.e. into a moderate headwind.  The latest [4th or 5th total] event was resolved like the previous couple times, by re-booting via the key switch while coasting up hwy 101 in the median shoulder lane; I did manage to see the overheat indicator just before switching off.

It occurred to me that if it is the battery pack itself that is getting too hot [at 2 to 2.5C discharge rate, I could understand that!] that a potential remedy might be another "ZF3" string to share the load.  Which brings me to inquire if an upgrade path exists, addition or swap out, or what a ZF9 pack would cost me...

Can you please advise?

Many thanks,"

Anybody here know about such things?  ???

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »

Batteries are rated for 5C constant, 10C burst discharge. 2-2.5C discharge should be no problem - for example, the TTXGP esuperstock bikes are probably at or above that rate for the entire race.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »

My bike switched itself off today on I-280. It was a hot day and I was maintaining 70 mph for 20+ miles with little headwind. When I "rebooted", the heat indicator came on and disappeared after a minute or so.
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »

The summer time is not a good friend of our air-cooled motor :( ...
Getting the "red light" on ,and eventually shut off the bike is pretty easy these days here in Spain...As probably in California or Arizona!!
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »

Batteries are rated for 5C constant, 10C burst discharge. 2-2.5C discharge should be no problem - for example, the TTXGP esuperstock bikes are probably at or above that rate for the entire race.

That's reassuring, although the motor has never felt uncomfortably warm to the touch after a commute...  Now I really wonder what's getting hot-- if not the battery pack, that only leaves the controller or the motor?

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »

for 2011's if this happens it often means a bad contactor :

for 2012s if you need a reboot, you may have CAN/BUS noise from an over heated motor or controller. I have had to power cycle on the track before.

ask your dealer to re-calibrate the sin wave with the motor upto temp, that may help, at least I imagine it does. Harlan at Hollywood Electrics did it for me on my racing partners bike. I rode it up through the mountains behind hollywood until I got to thermal warning, then raced back to his shop where we threw it up on a rear stand and re-calibrated it immediately... of course you dont have to go all balls to the wall like that, just warm the motor up and you should be good to go, I just liked immagining I was at IOM running those crazy hills behind Yamashiro.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:22 AM »

OK, I've been following this thread and I've never had a glitch in the 1800 miles I've ridden so far.
Until today.  Twice.  :-\
Both times, I was at a stop (turning left).  I opened the throttle and the bike accelerated to about 3 mph, and then bang - dead.
I coasted/scooted the rest of the way through the intersection; and the carefully looked for issues.
The dash indicators were not on or blinking.  The BMS LED's were normal.  The charger was dark (of course).  Don't know what else to look at.
"Rebooting" fixed it.   I was in ECO mode.
I had just ridden a few miles; ambient was 80F; I doubt it had to do with heat.
When I got home I made a concerted effort around the neighborhood to make it happen again - several dozen starts-from-stops - worked fine.
My dash indicator shows 2011/u7/11 - but it doesn't sound like that's related to the "reprogramming".

I've reread this thread a couple of times,
Richard230, your glitch never happened when the bike was moving - have you had it happen again since your upgrade?
oobflyer - you haven't posted on the thread since your Apr30th upgrade - have you had it happen since?
rotoiti - it looks like you had it happen once since your upgrade - but it may have been heat related as after the reboot you saw the heat indicator?
I guess I'm wondering if the upgrade fixes "it".  Or if "it" is a symptom of several problems ( heat related, software related, etc ) and the upgrade just fixes one of them?

Do you guys recommend emailing zero support or calling them?
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2012, 06:29:57 AM »

Hi ColoPaul.  I have never had a stalling problem since my bike was reprogrammed and the throttle assembly replaced at about 300 miles.  I now have almost 2000 miles on the bike and it still runs fine - although I am having to give hand signals when I turn or change lanes as my turn indicator relay died and I am awaiting a call from the shop that the part has arrived.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23