• May 06, 2024, 08:15:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: new 2017 FX with front brake squealing problem  (Read 451 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
new 2017 FX with front brake squealing problem
« on: April 18, 2019, 02:29:38 AM »

I found this topic: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4857.msg32956#msg32956 but the forum warned that it had been more than 120 days since any activity and I should start a new topic.

2 weeks ago I bought a new 2017 FX with 61 miles.  The front brake was squealing a bit when I test drove it but it became unbearable after I took it home and rode it just a few miles.  I sanded the pads, chamfered the pads, and used the Loctite squeaky brake goop, but nothing made any difference.

I took the caliper off to inspect closely and checked the rotor closely.  All the button head screws holding the rotor to the hub extended 4 mm or so past the inside of the hub and one of them was impinging on a spoke.  The parts catalog said 8x20 but I bought 8x16 replacements and they just come flush with the hub.  The one original impinging screw left a mark on the spoke so it was touching it if not bending or affecting in some way. 

Anyway, I don't think the bolts were affecting the squealing noise - just didn't look right to me.  I realized the pads are the same as the front of my 350 KTM so installed a spare set of Rocky Mountain Tusk brand pads I had.  I didn't use the thin metal clip ons which may be designed to reduce squealing that were on the original pads.  The noise is gone and braking is fine.  As others have reported here, it seems like the pads were the problem.

Otherwise, the FX is great and the EM is a whole different and very cool experience.  I still plan to make some changes later and use it for trail work and other off-road fun.

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: new 2017 FX with front brake squealing problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 05:26:08 AM »

The 2018 FX I borrowed for a couple weeks didn't squeak but the brake is god awful. Dunno how anyone could ever ride on the street with a front brake like that. The FXS brake works a lot better: stoppies with 1 finger.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »

Glad the pads fixed it! I havent had that issue, but when I first got my FX it didnt want to stop quick at all and was a bit unnerving. After ~600 miles or so of bedding the pads, it made a huge difference stops very well now. I'd say give it a bit of time

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »

The 2018 FX I borrowed for a couple weeks didn't squeak but the brake is god awful. Dunno how anyone could ever ride on the street with a front brake like that. The FXS brake works a lot better: stoppies with 1 finger.

Here's a fairly inexpensive way to  improve the performance of the front brake.

https://japan.webike.net/products/450472.html?utm_source=webikestyle&utm_medium=reccomendmail&utm_content=cart_saved_item&utm_campaign=20190418
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »

Just as an update, there are over 300 miles on the brake pads now and they are still quiet - no squeaking or squealing.  Braking force/power seems very good and consistent with other motorcycles I have owned.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »

2 weeks ago I bought a new 2017 FX with 61 miles.  The front brake was squealing a bit when I test drove it but it became unbearable after I took it home and rode it just a few miles.  I sanded the pads, chamfered the pads, and used the Loctite squeaky brake goop, but nothing made any difference.
Did you read this thread?

-Don-
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »

I did.  But I didn't try the Permetex Anti-Squealing product mentioned.  Maybe it would have fixed it.
Pages: [1]