• May 16, 2024, 07:46:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dealer has replaced SR battery  (Read 306 times)

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
Dealer has replaced SR battery
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:44:38 AM »

My dealer has completed the installation of the battery but is saying the 12V side of the bike has no power and he firsts wants to charge the battery.

However my onboard Calex charger failed a while ago and I have replaced it with an off board deltaQ QuiQ charger.

My understanding is that the QuiQ charger wont be able to charge the battery as the bike first needs to boot up first before the contactor will close. Hence the need to power on the bike and have it close the contactor before initialising the charge with the QuiQ charger.

Is that correct?

Will the dealer need to get hold of a Calex charger to have the CAN port to close the contactor to get the battery to charge?

Or can I take him the QuiQ charger to resurrect the battery?

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:49:05 AM by ElectricZoro »

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: Dealer has replaced SR battery
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 04:56:12 AM »

I'm not sure you heard him right. On the carryover platform, the 12V doesnt relate to bike operation beyond powering the headlight, turn signals, abs, and dash backlight.

The bike will charge fine without the 12V system, using the onboard Calex or an offboard one. You should be able to charge it with whatever charger you want as normal.

You will want to fix the 12V system to get headlights, turn signals and ABS though

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Dealer has replaced SR battery
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:23:54 AM »

My dealer has completed the installation of the battery but is saying the 12V side of the bike has no power and he firsts wants to charge the battery.

However my onboard Calex charger failed a while ago and I have replaced it with an off board deltaQ QuiQ charger.

My understanding is that the QuiQ charger wont be able to charge the battery as the bike first needs to boot up first before the contactor will close. Hence the need to power on the bike and have it close the contactor before initialising the charge with the QuiQ charger.

Is that correct?

Will the dealer need to get hold of a Calex charger to have the CAN port to close the contactor to get the battery to charge?

Or can I take him the QuiQ charger to resurrect the battery?

Thanks
A Delta Q charger will close the contactor for you if connected to the Anderson connector above  the motor. Okay for the bike to be shut off completely, with key removed  and all.   I am assuming your battery SOC is at least a reading something. If the battery is totally dead, which should not be able to happen with normal use (even when the battery is at zero SOC the battery should charge okay if NOT left like that for a long time).

Your 12 volts comes from a DC2DC converter. As long as your battery is not well below 0 SOC, you should have your 12 volts.

The Anderson connector has two large pins and two very small pins. Those small pins deal with closing the contactor.

You only have to close the contactor when you wire a charger to the motor controller, as i do. And there are ways to deal with that also, as show here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X