• May 15, 2024, 07:05:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Long Way Up  (Read 3228 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: The Long Way Up
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 10:20:48 AM »

Why don’t we see an attempt to charge at someone’s house (clothes-drier outlet?) or at an RV campground (30A or 50A)?
Could it be because it's the same charge rate as a 120 VAC outlet when the LW charges with 240 VAC as with 120 VAC?  The LW charger is very mickey-mouse, much like OBCs in my 2017 Zeros.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

T.S. Zarathustra

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2020, 09:36:20 PM »

I’ve watched all of the four episodes streamed so far. I’m totally disappointed.
Clearly they never talked to ANYONE with any electric motorcycle experience whatsoever. It’s sooo embarrassing.
As a rider of four different electric bikes (so far) it’s clear to me that kWh rating of the battery pack wins the range race every time - except perhaps for the extreme aerodynamic ‘dustbin’ fairings.
The HD-Livewire battery is rated at 15.5 kWh, the Zero DSR, with PowerTank is 18 kWh. (The DSR is the bike that the show casually dismissed as impractical at “70 miles of range” - how about a defamation law-suit Zero?). The Livewire bikes on this TV show are not modified for aerodynamics, that I can see.
As mentioned above - I’m sure that Harley paid $$ and probably also donated the bikes to get the publicity. The only advantage of Harley over the Zero is the CCS charging, but as we see in the first four episodes - they never use this feature - charging only at Level I or Level II charging (and from a diesel generator!)
Why don’t we see an attempt to charge at someone’s house (clothes-drier outlet?) or at an RV campground (30A or 50A)?
If they had hired Terry Hershner, or BenSwing Rich as consultants - this show would have been sooo much better.
At the beginning of ‘Long Way Up’ they mentioned a couple of times that “no one has ever attempted a ride like this before”  - really?
What about Tom Tomczyk? Didn’t he do this ride five years ago?

By the way - I have no bias against Harley - I hope I don’t sound like I do - the Livewire is an awesome bike - I just wish this show had done some fact-checking before starting.

I also watched the first four episodes. It would have been really nice if they had had more information for everything. Like, I don't know, maybe gotten the Plugshare app before starting the trip  :o. I had high hopes, for more content that was not fake looking drama, but it's definitely still worth the while to watch. So far they've done okay with what is basically prototype vehicles in unfavorable conditions. I will continue watching.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »

I’ve watched all of the four episodes streamed so far. I’m totally disappointed.
Clearly they never talked to ANYONE with any electric motorcycle experience whatsoever. It’s sooo embarrassing.
As a rider of four different electric bikes (so far) it’s clear to me that kWh rating of the battery pack wins the range race every time - except perhaps for the extreme aerodynamic ‘dustbin’ fairings.
The HD-Livewire battery is rated at 15.5 kWh, the Zero DSR, with PowerTank is 18 kWh. (The DSR is the bike that the show casually dismissed as impractical at “70 miles of range” - how about a defamation law-suit Zero?). The Livewire bikes on this TV show are not modified for aerodynamics, that I can see.
As mentioned above - I’m sure that Harley paid $$ and probably also donated the bikes to get the publicity. The only advantage of Harley over the Zero is the CCS charging, but as we see in the first four episodes - they never use this feature - charging only at Level I or Level II charging (and from a diesel generator!)
If they had hired Terry Hershner, or BenSwing Rich as consultants - this show would have been sooo much better.
At the beginning of ‘Long Way Up’ they mentioned a couple of times that “no one has ever attempted a ride like this before”  - really?
What about Tom Tomczyk? Didn’t he do this ride five years ago?

By the way - I have no bias against Harley - I hope I don’t sound like I do - the Livewire is an awesome bike - I just wish this show had done some fact-checking before starting.

Actually Brandon and I were contracted to make portable CCS chargers for these bikes. Which we made and sent down to... Paraguay? Can't remember. Brandon *tried* to get them to send him down as an advisor but we assume internal H-D drama prevented this from actually happening. We did everything we could to support them, though. I delivered the units to the contact in LA myself. They were set to deliver 5-6kW from the J1772 stations EnelX set up along the way.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 07:37:24 AM »

In an interview they did say they had 'something' they could use to charge the bikes but couldn't at the same time as the trucks.  Sounds like your box ^-^

That's cool.  And future-y!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 03:29:13 PM »

...we assume internal H-D drama prevented this from actually happening. We did everything we could to support them, though. I delivered the units to the contact in LA myself. They were set to deliver 5-6kW from the J1772 stations EnelX set up along the way.
Moving past my first reaction of astonishment, it makes a kind of sense. The value of H-D brand name weighs more heavily on a documentary film series than other factors. There's less return on investment using a bike with lesser brand name recognition what has a decent L2 charger built in as a factory option. If viewers want to repeat the same journey on that H-D bike at a similar pace using the installed EnelX J1772 stations then they won't be able to until the gargantuan investment of L3 charging stations takes form all along the way, or else they inherit a support crew toting a L2-to-L3 charging gizmo. Will H-D add better L2 charging capability as a factory configuration on their bike(s)? Could the L2-to-L3 charging gizmo be engineered small enough to be sensible as an item to tour with and not need a support vehicle?

Those new EnelX J1772 L2 charging stations as H-D bike owners can only hope are hopefully going to be the seed of charging infrastructure visibility, for future investment in L3 charging that actually works effectively with the H-D bike as presented.

I'm in such close proximity to California USA where J1772 have existed for many years and L3 charging was lurking about (yet not so common) until Tesla dumped $8-billion into their Supercharger network only their customers can use... as a result of that and other factors like the judgement against Volkswagen, L3 charging today is both common and not common. For the application of eMoto and L3 charging none of the infrastructure available feels like there is any input from eMoto riders or manufacturers. However I do think that any activity to install EVSE's is a good outcome (even though the L2 J1772 stations installed are not to the most benefit of the H-D bike being featured).

Charging an eMoto vehicle at less than 1C while out and about just makes me facepalm as a reaction instinctively. It's so... 10 years ago.

All that said, again, congrats for providing the missing puzzle piece for this epic brew of name brand mismatched ingredients.  ;)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 06:07:45 AM »

If you want to charge your Livewire or Energica at 6kw here you go.
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/

You can plug it into a 220 volt outlet or use a J1772.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2020, 06:29:49 AM »

Yeah that's like double the size of the one we made. That's a SETEC unit. I'm familiar with them.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »

Yeah, on the SETEC page I found, they had a model that charged DC as well.  That page isn't as detailed nor says that, but why would it have a combo handle?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2020, 09:13:38 PM »

I thought Zeros were pricy at $18,000.  These things cost $10,000 more.  Jeezo. 

Oldun

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2020, 03:24:10 AM »

"Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Like, dating redheads. The upfront price is only one part of the overall risk :-)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2020, 08:18:20 AM »

Well, Brandon is a redhead and our business relationship hasn't been cheap.

Oldun

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »

Heh :) I should've specified 'the opposite gender' perhaps - I'm old-fashioned that way.
Pages: 1 2 [3]