• May 15, 2024, 06:06:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Live Wire going away?  (Read 3117 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Live Wire going away?
« on: December 23, 2020, 03:12:17 PM »

From the Front Page: https://advrider.com/which-harley-davidson-models-will-return-in-2021/

"Lastly, there’s one very significant motorcycle that did not make the 2022 model list. Which bike is it? It’s the Harley-Davidson Livewire. It’s accessory pages only show the bike available for 2020 and 2021."

Also: https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/which-harley-davidson-models-are-getting-axed.html
"There is one more *ahem* current model that did not get included on the 2022 list: the LiveWire. According to Harley-Davidson’s accessories page, the LiveWire is only listed for the model years 2020 and 2021. Some observers think Harley-Davidson should drop the electric LiveWire, and the parts and accessories page suggest that might happen."

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Re: Live Wire going away?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »

It won’t surprise me if H-D cancels the Livewire after 2021. They have a history of killing forward looking motorcycles in favor of their core line. Just a couple of examples include the V-Rod in all it’s variations and the Buell line-up, especially the Rotax powered bikes.

It’s why I’m not surprised to see the Bronx disappear. I think the only reason the Pan America is still around is because of the huge adventure touring market. If the Pan America fails to catch on don’t be surprised to see that end up as a 2-3 year run only.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 08:38:03 PM »

They (HD) is putting short pan american teasers out on cable tv.  Maybe broadcast tv too.  What is in an accessory catalog to generate a bunch of clicks on the internet for the e-journalists might be all that is going on here.  Didn't they start a research group in Silicon Valley?

Exactly how much someone can get a Live wire out the door seems to vary a lot from reading on the internet.  That is at lest for me a turn off.  Someone else stating how much a better deal  they got than what I get quoted.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 09:07:26 PM »

It won’t surprise me if H-D cancels the Livewire after 2021. They have a history of killing forward looking motorcycles in favor of their core line. Just a couple of examples include the V-Rod in all it’s variations and the Buell line-up, especially the Rotax powered bikes.

It’s why I’m not surprised to see the Bronx disappear. I think the only reason the Pan America is still around is because of the huge adventure touring market. If the Pan America fails to catch on don’t be surprised to see that end up as a 2-3 year run only.

That is my thought, also.  H-D has a history, going back at least 50 years, of buying companies and marketing new products and them dropping them if they don't immediately receive the profits that someone had forecast in the boardroom.  And of course, you can say the same thing regarding Polaris and their electric motorcycle marketing decisions. That is the thing about many U.S. corporations, if they can't make a buck right away they drop the product and try something else. Unfortunately, the electric motorcycle market is littered with the best laid plans of mice and men that have gone astray.  >:(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 09:22:30 PM »

That is my thought, also.  H-D has a history, going back at least 50 years, of buying companies and marketing new products and them dropping them if they don't immediately receive the profits that someone had forecast in the boardroom.  And of course, you can say the same thing regarding Polaris and their electric motorcycle marketing decisions. That is the thing about many U.S. corporations, if they can't make a buck right away they drop the product and try something else. Unfortunately, the electric motorcycle market is littered with the best laid plans of mice and men that have gone astray.  >:(

This is something I've pointed out before.  If a company is publicly traded, then it's primary reason for existence is "Share Holder Return."  The most important thing to the Executive Board is being profitable THIS QUARTER.  Long range plans get thrown out the window.  If it's not profitable RIGHT NOW it's on the chopping block.  It doesn't matter what business the company claims to be in... it's primary mission is "Share holder return."

That's why I seriously hope Zero NEVER has an IPO and always remains privately held...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 12:49:19 AM »

This is something I've pointed out before.  If a company is publicly traded, then it's primary reason for existence is "Share Holder Return."  The most important thing to the Executive Board is being profitable THIS QUARTER.  Long range plans get thrown out the window.  If it's not profitable RIGHT NOW it's on the chopping block.  It doesn't matter what business the company claims to be in... it's primary mission is "Share holder return."

That's why I seriously hope Zero NEVER has an IPO and always remains privately held...

+1  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 02:16:19 AM »

HD made the same mistake as Victory did with the Empulse. make it too overpriced for the spec of that machine compared to competition. Empulse at 20k was too expensive compared to Zero or Energica at that time.
Maybe Livewire will be replaced with a different Ebike with a more competitive price?

With the emission standards getting better with the new administration, staying in he Ebike space would benefit Harley. Not to forget the years of investment HD put into this project :)
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 02:53:00 AM »

I think a 6kw AC charger and a price of $22k would have really improved sales but either they couldn't or wouldn't make that happen.

The two interviews from the Damon team made two points.  Damon CEO Jay Giraud said he thought they had only sold a hundred or so and said he felt they should branch off an electric division to not compete directly with their gas bikes.
While Damon COO and former co-founder of Alta, Derek Dorresteyn said Harley was planning at least one other electric bike and it should be released in the not too distant future.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 05:05:51 AM »

Well, they better had, because in 10 years time huge chunks of their market will vanish when most of Europe mandates zero emissions motoring.

Cas :)

Oldun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 05:42:27 AM »

I'm still pleased I got a Vrod (that I still have and ride) in 2005 and I'm very happy to have a LiveWire as well. If I can get 15 years out of it I'll be rapt. Hell, if I can get 15 years out of me I'll be more rapt :-)

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »

I'm somehow only convinced 99% that Livewire will not be alive come next year. After R&D and all the talk of electrification and "Long way up", there may still be a chance that it will be live, in some form or the other..
-Shayan

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 04:55:59 AM »

And here is another article speculating that H-D's future electric vehicle plans might be going down the drain:
https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/harley-davidsons-electric-future-in-doubt.html

Oldun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 06:48:22 AM »

So, ya telling me I have a Collector's First Edition. Yay!  ;D

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 10:56:01 PM »

-Shayan

ultratoad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 02:30:57 AM »

So, ya telling me I have a Collector's First Edition. Yay!  ;D
Yeah....  Just like my First and Last Edition Victory Empulse TT....  I guess prime time just isn't ready....
Pages: [1] 2 3