• May 15, 2024, 10:15:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Did a test ride on the LW today  (Read 3489 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Did a test ride on the LW today
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:48:54 AM »

Today, after a completed tire change and oil change, I rode my Triumph Trophy SE down to the HD shop in Rocklin, CA to see if they have the LW. They do. They have the black one. IMO, it looks better in reality than it does in the photos I have seen of the LW. Almost looks like it is worth the 30K$.

One of the sales guys asked if I wanted to go for a test ride. I said "no thanks, i just want to see what it look like".   Then I was kinda begged into taking the test ride. They have seen me ride my Energica there many times, as well as use their CCS charge station. And we have talked electric bikes many times, before they got their first LW in.

So I took it on the short loop they suggested, which includes a couple of miles on the freeway. When I got back I was asked how did I like it.

I replied "How honest do you want me to be?" They said, "be honest", so I was.

I found it to be extremely uncomfortable, even more so than the SR/F that I test rode a while back. Same main issue. Foot pegs up way too high, and not adjustable and in an even more uncomfortable location (to me) than the SR/F. Also, have to lean way forward. More so than the Energica Ego (which I have only sat on). Seems the LW is designed for somebody with short legs but  a long Torso.

I wasn't expecting that at all.

I had no issues on how the LW would perform, also much like the Zero SR/F.

One thing I did like is that it uses a FOB instead of a key, just as does my Harley Road Glide.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Did a test ride on the LW today
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »

I found it to be extremely uncomfortable, even more so than the SR/F that I test rode a while back. Same main issue. Foot pegs up way too high, and not adjustable and in an even more uncomfortable location (to me) than the SR/F. Also, have to lean way forward. More so than the Energica Ego (which I have only sat on). Seems the LW is designed for somebody with short legs but  a long Torso.

I wasn't expecting that at all.

I had no issues on how the LW would perform, also much like the Zero SR/F.

One thing I did like is that it uses a FOB instead of a key, just as does my Harley Road Glide.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Thanks for the report. Very interesting.  I rode an energica ego Saturday and I found it very harsh and loud and with very cramped leg position.  How was the noise level on the LW?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »

I also find this interesting because all the LW owners I have talked to, and we're in double digits at this point, are quite happy with their bike. They find the fit and finish to be up to their standards and they find it comfortable. I have seen the bike but not ridden it, and I do appreciate your input.

Tony, yeah the Ego is totally a track bike. You need to ride an SS9. Totally different experience.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »

I
Thanks for the report. Very interesting.  I rode an energica ego Saturday and I found it very harsh and loud and with very cramped leg position.  How was the noise level on the LW?
Perhaps I should test ride an Ego as I have only sat on one for a few seconds and I didn't even think about the foot pegs when I did. Did you try the other Energicas?

I cannot say I noticed much noise from the LW. It sounded fine to me. In fact, I forgot that  they introduced noise into the LW. I think my Energica makes more noise than the LW. I think Zeros are the most quiet of them all.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »

I also find this interesting because all the LW owners I have talked to, and we're in double digits at this point, are quite happy with their bike. They find the fit and finish to be up to their standards and they find it comfortable. I have seen the bike but not ridden it, and I do appreciate your input.
I also know many who are happy with the Zero SR/F, but not me. Just because the bikes didn't feel right to me, doesn't mean others won't love them.  I am kinda long legged, I normally like  high seats and I am sensitive to foot-peg position.

Most people probably wouldn't  like my Moto Guzzi Stelvio because it has an extra high seat even when set as low as it can go. But I find it very comfy. However, My Harley has a low seat and is the most comfy bike I own for a very long trip. But it has floor boards and way up front, and down low enough.

So my comments on the Harley LW should not discourage others at all. It's just not for me.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »

Every time I have seen a sport-bike with little legroom, a long reach to the handlebars and a hard seat, I figure it was designed by Italians. However, I will admit that Italian touring and "standard" motorcycle designs do not have such radical seating positions - and some even have comfortable seats.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 10:27:18 PM »

Guess I need to stop by the local Harley dealership and see if they have a Livewire demo!  No interest in buying one, but I love to try new bikes (even ones I have no intention of buying).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 11:19:02 PM »

Guess I need to stop by the local Harley dealership and see if they have a Livewire demo!  No interest in buying one, but I love to try new bikes (even ones I have no intention of buying).
I normally would not test ride bikes that I have no interest in. There are other things I do not like about the LW, such as the slow Level two charging (1.5 KW) and even slow CCS charging (12 KW). Energica is 3 KW on level two and 26 KW max on CCS.

But I wanted to at least look at it, and then I got pressured into taking it for a ride.

But now I kinda want to test ride another bike I have no interest in. The Energica Ego just so I can compare to the feel of the Harley and Zero SR/F.

BTW, I have heard of many people who expected they would love a bike until they took a test ride.

Anybody do the opposite, take a test ride on a bike that they did not expect to like but then did?

That happened to me with my Harley. The only model Harley I could stand. They redesigned to a larger frame in 2017 and what a difference that made! Also the new M8 Engine.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 01:19:38 AM »

Anybody do the opposite, take a test ride on a bike that they did not expect to like but then did?

Honestly, that's what happened to me with the Energica, especially the EsseEsse9. I had my SR/F Premium on order after test riding one and didn't expect to like the Energicas enough to switch. I especially didn't expect to like the EsseEsse9 considering it's the "lower" performance model of their lineup.

I'm glad I decided to do my due diligence and checkout the other options. I ended up liking the Energicas and the EsseEsse9 in particular from a comfort factor that I bought it the same day and then canceled my SR/F order.

Usually, once I decide I like the look and specs of a bike, unless the test ride reveals something I hate about it, I usually end up buying the bike. The Energicas were definitely the first time I test rode bikes I didn't expect to like but did.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 02:17:54 AM »

Honestly, that's what happened to me with the Energica, especially the EsseEsse9. I had my SR/F Premium on order after test riding one and didn't expect to like the Energicas enough to switch. I especially didn't expect to like the EsseEsse9 considering it's the "lower" performance model of their lineup.

I'm glad I decided to do my due diligence and checkout the other options. I ended up liking the Energicas and the EsseEsse9 in particular from a comfort factor that I bought it the same day and then canceled my SR/F order.

Usually, once I decide I like the look and specs of a bike, unless the test ride reveals something I hate about it, I usually end up buying the bike. The Energicas were definitely the first time I test rode bikes I didn't expect to like but did.
Did you do a test ride on the Ego?  It didn't seem all that bad to me when I sat on it, but that's not the same as a test ride. If there is any bike I would now want to test ride, it would now be the Ego. I should have done such last Saturday in Livermore but I was too busy BSing with Lawrence to do such. I am not really  into sport bikes, but I wonder if I could tolerate that one.

I also should have tried out the new Ribelle.

But I am really not looking for anything new, at least not until I get some input on that 21.5 KWH battery in the real world. And I will most likely go for the SS9+.

-Don-   Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 02:28:12 AM »

No test ride on the Ego for me. I've had sport bikes before and knew up front that I wouldn't be happy with a pure sport bike. Sporty nakeds and sport tourers are now my thing from a comfort factor.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 02:36:54 AM »

Thanks for the comments about the bikes, guys.  It's really fun seeing all these different views.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 03:40:40 AM »

No test ride on the Ego for me. I've had sport bikes before and knew up front that I wouldn't be happy with a pure sport bike. Sporty nakeds and sport tourers are now my thing from a comfort factor.
With me, if I know it's a sport bike, that makes it a lot  more acceptable.

But I did NOT expect the HD LW to be a sporty riding position. But it is. And so is the Zero SR/F, which I also didn't expect.

Seems you found the same with the SR/F based  on your comments.

Energica did it right, IMO, make a very sporty bike and very comfy bike and one kinda in the middle. That should keep almost everybody happy, other than those who want a very light bike such as my Zero DS.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 04:20:47 AM »

I figure you never know until you try.  I didn't expect to like the Burgman when I took it for a spin YEARS ago at Daytona Beach.  That ride convinced me that scooters were FUN, with a practical streak most motorcycles simply don't have (lockage storage).  Now, I don't take anything for granted.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 06:38:17 AM »

I figure you never know until you try.  I didn't expect to like the Burgman when I took it for a spin YEARS ago at Daytona Beach.  That ride convinced me that scooters were FUN, with a practical streak most motorcycles simply don't have (lockage storage).  Now, I don't take anything for granted.
Yeah, a buddy of mine in Reno has a Burgman. He really likes it also. I never tried it, however.

IMO, the smaller motorcycles / scooters give the most fun per dollar.  I discovered that with my Suzuki DR200SE.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X