• May 15, 2024, 06:03:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Did a test ride on the LW today  (Read 3488 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Did a test ride on the LW today
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »

I went to the Harley shop here in Reno today. I went there after a ride on my Energica so I recharged there with their CCS charger as I went in to look at their bikes.

To my surprise, they have TWO LWs for sell. One of each color (one black, the other orange). This is the first time I have seen the orange one because the one in Rocklin was black and that was the first LW I have seen.

Of the two, I think the black looks the best and I normally do not care for the looks of black motorcycles.

They have not sold any LWs yet here in Reno.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »

Here’s my take on the Livewire.

Sonoma County Harley-Davidson - I went there to only charge my 17 Eva.
Shortly after the charge commenced, two employees came out.
They had never seen an Energica.
In passing, I asked how the Livewire sales were going.
David (sales) mentioned 2 had new homes and 3 were currently on the sales floor.
During the short visit, I mentioned I had spent time on a 14 SR as well.
He asked if I’d like to take a test drive on the Livewire for a comparison of the Eva and SR.
I almost said no, but after a moment, I thought why not.

David brought out the Black unit.
Impressive, nice looking. I was surprised. It was attractive - elegant, polished, handsome.
I mounted, it felt good.                        
Out on the street, impressive, handled well, acceleration was smooth and quick. Weight is ~550lbs - not noticeable at all.  I was quite comfortable on it, noise level between a Zero and Energica. Again I was surprised. Rode on surface streets, about 8 miles.
For me, until I actually saw one and rode it, from all that I’d researched, I was not interested, I would not even consider it.

As I returned, 3 people were there.
Big question - How did you like it? How did it compare the SR and Eva?
My Answer - Quite impressive but for $30k before registration, maybe $33k out-the-door, not ever gonna happen. Lower the price to the low 20's and it will likely sell.
Sonoma County Harley-Davidson - a nice dealership.

Final thoughts - YMMV, Take a Livewire for a test and decide for yourself. Be glad there are excellent choices like - Energica, Harley and Zero.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 12:01:15 PM »

Here’s my take on the Livewire.

Sonoma County Harley-Davidson - I went there to only charge my 17 Eva.
Shortly after the charge commenced, two employees came out.
They had never seen an Energica.
In passing, I asked how the Livewire sales were going.
David (sales) mentioned 2 had new homes and 3 were currently on the sales floor.
During the short visit, I mentioned I had spent time on a 14 SR as well.
He asked if I’d like to take a test drive on the Livewire for a comparison of the Eva and SR.
I almost said no, but after a moment, I thought why not.

David brought out the Black unit.
Impressive, nice looking. I was surprised. It was attractive - elegant, polished, handsome.
I mounted, it felt good.                        
Out on the street, impressive, handled well, acceleration was smooth and quick. Weight is ~550lbs - not noticeable at all.  I was quite comfortable on it, noise level between a Zero and Energica. Again I was surprised. Rode on surface streets, about 8 miles.
For me, until I actually saw one and rode it, from all that I’d researched, I was not interested, I would not even consider it.

As I returned, 3 people were there.
Big question - How did you like it? How did it compare the SR and Eva?
My Answer - Quite impressive but for $30k before registration, maybe $33k out-the-door, not ever gonna happen. Lower the price to the low 20's and it will likely sell.
Sonoma County Harley-Davidson - a nice dealership.

Final thoughts - YMMV, Take a Livewire for a test and decide for yourself. Be glad there are excellent choices like - Energica, Harley and Zero.
I think I met you in Livermore.

Yes, I agree the black LW really looks nice. I posted that in my first message here when I tried out the LW in Rocklin. But now that I think about it more, the reason I found it rather uncomfortable could be because I just came off my Triumph Throphy SE, which fits me very well--even better than my Energica,  I recently discovered. I could have gotten a much better comparison if I rode my Energica down there, but it was here in Reno while I was in Auburn. And still is here.

Even the Harley dealers admit to me that the price of the LW is  a bit too high. But there are parts of the North Bay where to many 30K$ will be much like pocket change to the rest of us.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:18:17 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »

Yeah, the Bay Area counties are very wealthy.  My spouse's income puts her into the top 10% of the US.  (which with inequalty, that's getting to be easier and easier) but we don't even make the top 25% in our county.

We're well off, Don is even more well off... But there's a fair number who are better off than either of us.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »

Yeah, the Bay Area counties are very wealthy.  My spouse's income puts her into the top 10% of the US.  (which with inequalty, that's getting to be easier and easier) but we don't even make the top 25% in our county.

We're well off, Don is even more well off... But there's a fair number who are better off than either of us.

-Crissa

According to my calculations this means you should be able to comfortably afford a cardboard box on the side of the road.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »

I really wouldn't mind one at all if it came in at £20k or so, same as the SR/f or Ribelle... but as the LiveWire is supposed to be a "halo" model doesn't this mean they'd be planning a more down-to-earth specced version with slightly less fancy shocks and brakes and such? - might lop a few grand off the price.

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 04:33:26 AM »

If you can't go for a test ride then you can watch someone else do it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJiEUPEzpdM&feature=youtu.be
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 04:53:53 AM »

24:50  rear Michelin scorcher tire.   Is there really such a thing and what other bikes might come with this as original equipment?

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »

Indeed... what the hell is it. I suppose you'd quickly shred the OEM tyres in short order doing instant burnouts and then put reasonable rubber on there instead.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 08:21:58 PM »

The Michelin Scorcher tire comes on most Harley's as original equipment and was specially designed with a low-friction compound that accommodates low-power, long-lasting burnouts. They are highly recommended to add to atmospheric pollution and global warming.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »

That doesn't half seem at odds with the primary requirement that most of us have for tyres...

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »

The Michelin Scorcher tire comes on most Harley's as original equipment and was specially designed with a low-friction compound that accommodates low-power, long-lasting burnouts. They are highly recommended to add to atmospheric pollution and global warming.  ::)

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  As long as I can remember, Harley Davidson has shod their bikes with Dunlop tires... an American motorcycle equipped with American-made tires.  When did this change?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 04:49:15 AM »

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  As long as I can remember, Harley Davidson has shod their bikes with Dunlop tires... an American motorcycle equipped with American-made tires.  When did this change?

A few years ago, I believe. I have the latest 2020 Michelin tire brochure.  Their "Scorcher" tires are described as "The Michelin Harley-Davidson Tire Line".

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 04:58:16 AM »

I took a trip down Route 106 to Nassau County Harley Davidson. I'd heard they had a Livewire demo, and since I had nothing better to do I figured: Why not?

Pulling into the parking lot I saw my first surprise: When did they become a Vanderhall dealer? I know Mineolamoto used to carry them in Mineola, but didn't they drop them because they had so many problems? Anyway, I guess if anyone wants one of these things now you know where to find them on Long Island.

Walking into the showroom I got my second shock: They're also carrying a line of Chinese made eScooters (NIU)! But right in the middle of the showroom floor was a Livewire. I looked it over and it looks pretty solidly built. But then I noticed something else... I'm standing there in my heavy leather jacket, carrying my dayglo yellow helmet, OBVIOUSLY interested in a bike... and NO ONE approached me asking if I needed any help. WTF, Harley??

Eventually someone came up and asked me if I was waiting for a bike in for service (came to the wrong conclusion from what I was wearing, I guess). I told him I was just there to check out the Livewire. THAT'S when he said he'd get someone to help me. A woman named MaryLu (that's the way she spelled her name) came over to talk to me. When I mentioned that I currently rode a Zero, she wasn't familiar with the brand but a couple of other people in the shop overheard me and said: "Oh YOU'RE the guy!" (whatever that meant). In any event, several of them went out into the parking lot to check out my bike.

Anyway, they do have a demonstrator, but I was hit with my THIRD surprise of the day: They won't let anyone take it out unaccompanied! A salesperson has to ride along with you. In all the years I've been demo riding Harley Davidsons, this was a FIRST. MaryLu explained that she recently had a customer out on a demo ride who had stopped to use a gas station rest room and couldn't get the bike started again. Now she says they always send someone along just to prevent something like that from happening again. Weird!

Anyway, a nice fellow named Matt agreed to tag along with me. We took a short hop down Sunrise Highway to the Wantagh Parkway which we took south one exit to Merrick Road. We then did the freeway off/on exit dance to get back on to the Wantagh Parkway. Once on the parkway (which was completely empty heading northbound) Matt opened up his Low Rider to encourage me to do the same with the Livewire. HOLY SHIT does this thing have some legs!! And I wasn't even in "Sport" mode, I was in the intermediate "Road" setting (there are two more modes: Rain and Eco, plus three customizable settings you set yourself). For comparison, my Zero has two factory settings "Sport" and Eco" and a third setting you create for yourself.

The handling was pretty much spot on. The bike weighs over 100 lbs more than my Zero, but I never felt it. The Brembo brakes are good and strong with good feedback, though I was able to do most of my slowing using the regen function of the motor (similar to how I ride the Zero). Playing on the off-ramps gave me an opportunity to check out how well it corners and it does that very well too.

I only have two gripes about the bike. First, of course, is the ridiculously exorbitant price they want for the thing. The second was just how UNCOMFORTABLE I was on it. The Seat/Peg ratio was FAR too tight, not even my Buells cramped up my legs this much. Matt said they may eventually have different seat options available, and perhaps a peg lowering kit but right now you're stuck with the way its set up.

Anyway, it was a fun bike and the guys in the shop were all very friendly and helpful. I was surprised with how many of them wanted to check out my Zero, too. Based on them carrying the NIU scooter line and the Livewire it seems they're pretty much onboard with the electrification of our favorite pastime. Once the weather warms up I want to head up to Hudson Valley Motorsports and check out the Energica line next.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »

I only have two gripes about the bike. First, of course, is the ridiculously exorbitant price they want for the thing. The second was just how UNCOMFORTABLE I was on it. The Seat/Peg ratio was FAR too tight,
Your test ride went much like mine with all the same complaints.

Have you also done a test ride on the Zero SR/F?  If so, I would like to know how the LW compared to it with you. They seemed rather similar to me in comfort, but even if both were the same price I would take the Zero SR/F Premium over the LW.

-Don-   Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X