• May 15, 2024, 02:15:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Is it junk?  (Read 12345 times)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: Is it junk?
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »

Sorry to hear this flexydude.  3 weeks with the motor at the dealer does sound like a little long.  I know they are busy but after what you have been through you'd think they would do it the same day.   I know it's speculating but I would agree with Richard.  It sounds like there is a lack of enthusiasm at the dealer to get this done for you.  I've never heard anything but positive things regarding Hollywood Electrics, and hopefully others dealers will gain enthusiasm for their electric customers such a reputation like Hollywood Electrics too.

Do you know if the motor is the same type of motor? Round and silver?  I'm not sure but I wonder if the reason it might have taken so long is they are working on fixing perhaps a weak link with the 2012 motors, and bringing it up to speed with their current technology.  When you see the bike let us know.  I'd be curious to see, and if so that explains a lot on why perhaps it took a while, and be very understandable if you are perhaps one of the first to get this.  Let us know.

I know you were an early adopter with the 2010 and 2012, and while cool bikes, they were not designed by all the high level engineers that came in 4-5 years ago to design what would become the 2013-2015 platform which is amazing.  I wish you could somehow trade your 2 bikes in and get a deal on a 2015.  It sounds like you are an EV enthusiast and have just had real bad luck compared to most, and also then it seems like your issues were perhaps even further compounded by your dealer, but I don't know, that's just guessing based on others comments as well.

I guess I've been lucky but my 2012 Zero has been pretty reliable.  I had the "glitch" early on, but got it fixed and its been good ever since. Although I was 3000 miles, away, my dealer was Hollywood Electrics and I had excellent service the whole time to talk me through anything. 

I have had 2 sets of rear wheel bearings go out and a sprocket come loose on the motor.  But I have my bike way way overloaded, and so exceeded the GVWR for the rear wheel by a lot, and I changed my own sprocket and didn't get it tight so all my issues have been my own doing for the most part.  I have 75,000 miles on the bike now (see speedo snapshot below from facebook) and all things considered, my Zero has been less troublesome than any bike I ever had from Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki.  I never had a Harley because I heard how much they broke down, and it just wasn't my style.   So for me the Zero has been the most reliable motorcycle manufacturer I have ever had experience with.

I hope they can get you all fixed up and whole again flexy, I think anyone in your shoes would feel frustrated.  And it's the quick and easy response to feel upset about this and not want anything to do with it anymore.  Sort of like a bad relationship breakup.  There is an emotional factor no question when you put your trust in something and feel you were let down.  But the more rational thinking you are usually as a person, the quicker those feelings go away and the more rational decisions you make.   And I think most would agree the 2015 Zero's are perhaps the best bikes on the market right now, and would love to see you go that direction eventually and be happy with electric vehicles and motorcycles again. 

Let us know about the motor as soon as you can!  I'm very curious!

Terry
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:15:56 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:06 PM »

only thing i know about the motor is it's supposed to be a hybrid from 2013 adapted to fit 2012 and made in china.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2015, 02:35:11 AM »

only thing i know about the motor is it's supposed to be a hybrid from 2013 adapted to fit 2012 and made in china.

Yeah that's the new replacement motor they have been working on for the 2012's.
Looks like you are getting the upgrade rather than having another ME1115 in your bike.

This is very similar to the old motor used in the 2012's
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushless-motors/me1115-brushless-motor-24-96v-5000rpm-12-kw-cont-30-kw-pk.html
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2015, 02:42:06 AM »

just found out my bike is ready, now just gotta make the 5 hour drive to pick it up.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2015, 02:48:54 AM »

Good news, hopefully the modified 75-X motor will make a difference to your bike.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »

Woohoo!!! Didn't they offer to deliver it after all this time Flexy?

Is it only me that thinks that Zero have a duty to make sure their dealers are providing good service?

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »

Great news, Flexydude!  I hope that I am back on the list for one of the replacement motors now that they have them -- haven't heard a word from Zero since December despite several attempts.

--Karl

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »

good luck, I gotta drive 5 hours from tucson to maier to pick it up this weekend. I'm hopeful but not confident that it will run for long.

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2015, 09:31:11 PM »

after riding to work his week, only put on about 100 miles so far, the range seems to be the same, in sport mode it fly's, more power than old motor, but the deceleration sucks. when slowing down with throttle off it stutters and bucks like I'm pumping the brakes. It's not unrideable, just really annoying. I took care of the awful high pitch whine the new motor makes by wearing earplugs.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:27 PM »

Oh dear, after all this time it clearly is junk!

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »

Just got back from sailing my boat back across the Atlantic  . . . and my Zero was waiting with a new motor at the new NY metro dealership, Rockwell Motorcycles.

Rode the bike the 25 miles to work -- cant say I noticed any difference in performance -- but I didnt try going flat out on the windy roads between Newburgh and White Plains, and with an expired registration in my pocket.

I dont mind the different motor sound -- its like the high tech sound of the old motor, only more so.

Zero did the entire repair under warranty, including hauling the bike to the dealer, so I am really happy right now -- its great to get my ride back.  Rockwell Motorcycles seems really enthusiastic about the Zeros -- they are already the no. 2 dealer in the country, apparently.

So I am a happy Zero owner again, for now  :)

--Karl

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:00 AM »

Hi kcoplan,
As I have reported on the other thread I too am generally content with my new motor but  haven't found any increase in performance. In fact, my top speed is on 70 to 72 mph. Zero have offered no explanation despite my requests. Have you had the same experience?

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:40 AM »

Still have not been able to really open it up on the highway, but I got it up to 80 or so up a modest hill on a short straightway, so I seem to be getting better performance than you are.

I was able to get the old motor up to 99 "Zero mph" (I think the speedo reads a bit high) -- may be a while before I can test that limit again.  ;)

Of course, I am on the skinny side, and I have the smaller ZF6 battery, so that might affect acceleration, too.

--Karl

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »

After I calibrated the speedometer with a GPS, I can get my 2012 w/ stock motor up to 90 mph with a windshield and a tuck.

Before calibration it was reading about 4% high.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »

It makes sense that the 2013 motors hit a lower max speed when fitted to 2012, if they originally were designed for higher voltages operations, then their rpm per volt maybe lower. This would translate to a lower top speed if fitted to a 2012.

For example, lets say the rpm per volt of the 2013 motor was 0.9v per rpm.
Then on a 2013 we'd expect speeds in the 90-95 region
However on a 2012 the speeds would be closer to 70-75

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8