• May 07, 2024, 07:55:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any Wheel Bearing Issues  (Read 867 times)

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
Any Wheel Bearing Issues
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that there were some wheel bearing issues with Zero very early on.  Has anyone heard of this, had any issues or can otherwise point me in the direction of any posts on the subject?

Thanks,
Bill
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

mx-man

• View Profile
Re: Any Wheel Bearing Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:29:23 AM »

I thought I had on a 2011 mx, but is was the chain that was making the noise

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »

Yes, on my 2010 DS the rear wheel bearing had a lot of drag. I think the problem was the internal spacer was too short so the axle bolt put a lot of sideways strain on the bearing which then ruined the bearing. Zero sent me another wheel (after I sent my wheel to them) and it rotated freely. This was early stuff.

Trikester

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »

Thank you trikester...  I thought I had heard something about that and your explanation makes all the sense in the world.  How long did it take for your bearing to fail?  Did you tighten the axle nut or otherwise find it loose when it should not have been?
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »

The axle nut was normal. The bearing didn't actually fail because early-on I removed the rear wheel to change to the 17' rim. I'm sure it wouldn't have taken very many miles before failure.

I had thought it was the brake dragging but as soon as I had the wheel off I could easily feel the bearing drag when turning either one with my finger (much more than what just the grease seals normally cause). I inserted the axle and if I spun the wheel it would only rotate about two or three turns.

Since I was going to lace a new rim with new spokes I only needed Zero to send me a new hub, not a whole wheel and the original wheel was returned to them.

Trikester
Pages: [1]