• May 13, 2024, 12:13:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: My Diginow has arrived!  (Read 10173 times)

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
Re: My Diginow has arrived!
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2016, 02:30:09 AM »

Hi Brian,

I thought it was on a wiki somewhere and I had missed it.  Can you send it to ptruchon@gmail.com  I don't want to plug anything in until I've got some guidance.  To clarify, I wasn't sent any "hardware install steps" from anyone.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:49:29 AM by Patrick Truchon »
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »

I went ahead and set up (almost) everything:
  • I drilled holes on the inside of the frame for the bracket and ran the wire to the controller (2013 DS).
  • Next I wanted to tackle mounting the J-plug on the tank, but decided to drill a small hole first to see how much clearance there was.
  • It looks pretty tight.  Doug: how did you make it fit?  Can the cable bend that much?

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

• Finally, I went to test it.
  • For now, I'm grounding to the frame until I can mount the plug permanently somewhere.
  • Everything looks normal.

Time to go for a test ride tomorrow!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »

Nice work, Patrick! Your test looks great.

It is very doubtful that you can place the J inlet in that very attractive center of the tank plastics. Mine is mounted halfway over the forward edge.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2016, 06:19:01 PM »

• Finally, I went to test it.
  • For now, I'm grounding to the frame until I can mount the plug permanently somewhere.
  • Everything looks normal.

Time to go for a test ride tomorrow!
Looks good! This is a bit off topic, but is that the power cable rolled up in the hole through the frame? How did you fold the cable to get it in there? I've tried multiple times, but no matter how I wrap it up, it never wants to compress enough to fit in there. The hard ridge on the inside keeps catching on the plugs and prevents it from fully seating in the tube.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »

Another off topic question, did you not qualify for the battery upgrade? If not you should inquire about it with ZERO
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2016, 11:04:03 PM »

Another off topic question, did you not qualify for the battery upgrade? If not you should inquire about it with ZERO

The upgrade recall appears to be a relatively slow process with a queue. Mine is still waiting and I'm within riding distance.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »

I'm told my Supercharger is on the way! Woot!
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2016, 12:43:15 PM »

I'm officially a Super Charger!  In honor of @benswing I used two J-1772 stations at the same time!!

I used the J-1772 to three-way adapter to use my onboard charger for the second J-1772.  I grounded the yellow wire to the J-bolt.  Charge tank plastic should arrive tomorrow so I can clean up the install.  The charger gets hot so I didn't leave the DigiNow control box on top of it for long.

First Impressions:

I was originally planning to try and keep it flexible and do a top box install so I could use it to charge other batteries.  Now I'm thinking the only reason not to install in the tank area is if you have the power tank or are planning to get one.

You definitely feel the weight with it in a top box but it's manageable.

You feel the weight when it's installed in the tank too but it's more manageable than in a top box.

I made a NEMA 14-50 to NEMA 5-15 adapter so that I can charge a little faster than the onboard from 120V outlets.  I tested it to 1.6kW.  Worked great!  Although....now that I think about it...I didn't try to open the garage door while it was charging....better find the breaker box before I do any more testing.  In theory it should be good to 1.8kW from a 15 amp 120 volt outlet but the voltage was a little low in the outlet in my garage so I was already drawing 15 amps at 1.6kW.  You can dial it back as low as 500 watts...soooo....yeah....if there's anyone out there that wants to charge slower than onboard....this is your $3K solution!

I'll make adapters for other outlets soon (e.g. new/old dryer plugs).

I learned right off that just because there are two J1772 plugs doesn't mean 6.6kW per plug.  Two plugs going to the same station share 6.6kW (at least at this location they did).  Charge point wouldn't let me turn on the second plug at the same station anyway.  In this case, after moving my bike a little I was able to just use a plug from a second station.  I'm sure I should have known that already after watching all of @benswing's videos but I didn't.

Fast charging is a life changer.  I can't wait to get out and play some more.  My ODO is about to start going up a lot faster!

2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

I'm officially a Super Charger!  In honor of @benswing I used two J-1772 stations at the same time!!

Nicely done! I'm glad everything is working smoothly.

I was originally planning to try and keep it flexible and do a top box install so I could use it to charge other batteries.  Now I'm thinking the only reason not to install in the tank area is if you have the power tank or are planning to get one.

Removing the Super Charger from the tank area is very easy, so it's probably best to just install it there and remove it when a Power Tank finally arrives for dealer install. I've swapped a unit for photos and testing in under a half hour.

I made a NEMA 14-50 to NEMA 5-15 adapter so that I can charge a little faster than the onboard from 120V outlets.  I tested it to 1.6kW.  Worked great!  Although....now that I think about it...I didn't try to open the garage door while it was charging....better find the breaker box before I do any more testing.  In theory it should be good to 1.8kW from a 15 amp 120 volt outlet but the voltage was a little low in the outlet in my garage so I was already drawing 15 amps at 1.6kW.  You can dial it back as low as 500 watts...soooo....yeah....if there's anyone out there that wants to charge slower than onboard....this is your $3K solution!

I'll make adapters for other outlets soon (e.g. new/old dryer plugs).

Nice! My home electrics are ancient so I'm avoiding this for now.

I learned right off that just because there are two J1772 plugs doesn't mean 6.6kW per plug.  Two plugs going to the same station share 6.6kW (at least at this location they did).  Charge point wouldn't let me turn on the second plug at the same station anyway.  In this case, after moving my bike a little I was able to just use a plug from a second station.  I'm sure I should have known that already after watching all of @benswing's videos but I didn't.

ChargePoint can do this (turn on more than one plug at the same station) but you either need to get two differently-coded cards, OR use the mobile app after using your card to separately access the other plug. But it's nearly always better to activate two adjacent stations and run one cord from each.

Fast charging is a life changer.  I can't wait to get out and play some more.  My ODO is about to start going up a lot faster!

Same. If my project and work commitments weren't so high right now, I'd already have some trips logged.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »

You can request extra cards (keyring style) from charge point ) I keep one on each keyring and a spare in my wallet
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2016, 04:47:23 AM »

2 cards is the way to go!  Fun to see you fast charging!  There are some Chargepoint stations that share 6.6kW and others that have 6.6kW for each plug, but it is wise not to max those out at the same time.

Can't wait to see photos and hear of more people traveling farther afield!!!

Subscribe to Benswing on YouTube to follow my summer journeys.
Like Ben Rich - Electric Biker on Facebook.

First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:08 AM »

Mine should be here soon too. Can you walk us thru the setup using it externally? Did it come with instructions? I have a PT so it's top case for me.

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »

Great stuff!  Thanks for the photos!  Glad to see all you fellas getting your superchargers.  Should mean mine is soon(TM)!  [emoji14]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »

Can't wait to see photos and hear of more people traveling farther afield!!!

First crawling...then walking...

It's actually a little sad that you would never know the beast that lies within just by looking at the bike.  No modification required to the charge tank plastic.  Minor modification to the J-plug that came with the DigiNow and then it fit perfectly.

2014 Zero S
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9