• May 07, 2024, 09:07:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interesting quotes from CEO Paschel  (Read 2386 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Interesting quotes from CEO Paschel
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »

Compressed air?  What a bunch of BS. That has been tried many times before and between the size of the air tank, the amount of energy it takes to compress the air and the lack of any amount of efficiency of a compressed air powered motor, you won't get far. They have tried compressed air powered buses before and you don't see that many rolling around, do you?  ::)  Better to just go back to steam power. Now there is a well proven technology. ;)

Richard,

Did you check the date of that posting?  ;)

Instead of a compressed air-powered motorcycle, I am waiting for the new BMW monowheel.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:04:57 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »

The SR/N features a mini liquid salt thorium reactor instead of a battery. The good thing is that it only needs to be fueled once at the factory. The bad thing is that you have to refill the water tank for the steam turbine every 15 miles.

You think you're joking, but honest to god, Ford actually toyed with the idea of a nuclear powered vehicle back in the 50s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

I'm SO glad I wasn't alive in the 50s.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 08:10:29 PM »

The SR/N features a mini liquid salt thorium reactor instead of a battery. The good thing is that it only needs to be fueled once at the factory. The bad thing is that you have to refill the water tank for the steam turbine every 15 miles.

You think you're joking, but honest to god, Ford actually toyed with the idea of a nuclear powered vehicle back in the 50s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

I'm SO glad I wasn't alive in the 50s.

I was and I can confirm that there was a lot of radiation in our environment at the time due to above ground H2 bomb testing around the world - including a few tests in space.  I had a two-year old brother who died of brain cancer, which the doctors claimed was likely caused by irradiated milk.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:02 PM »

Compressed air?  What a bunch of BS. That has been tried many times before and between the size of the air tank, the amount of energy it takes to compress the air and the lack of any amount of efficiency of a compressed air powered motor, you won't get far. They have tried compressed air powered buses before and you don't see that many rolling around, do you?  ::)  Better to just go back to steam power. Now there is a well proven technology. ;)

A few years ago there was that concept called O2 Pursuit. A dirt bike that was running on compressed air. It had pretty reasonable specs - 62 miles of range, and up to 87mph. I followed the news about it for a while, and then it disappeared. Not sure if those specs have been independently confirmed. The issue with compressed air as energy source is that as the tank is discharging, it's cooling off, densifying the air, and reducing the pressure as a result. The efficiency of "charging" air tanks doesn't matter much if your energy comes from renewable sources. Big advantage of such design is ability to swap out tanks as quickly, as we do in SCUBA diving, and extremely low cost of such tanks in comparison to say Lithium batteries. So even if the bike only had half the advertised range, it would work perfectly for outdoor enthusiasts. Btw, tank fills range between $5 and $7 at SCUBA shops here in PNW, and that's clean breathable air as opposed to technical air.

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/o2-pursuit-final_363.jpg
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:31:45 PM by pacificcricket »

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »

Please tell us what is "technical air" as opposed to "clean breathable air". probably not that that has much to do with riding powered two wheelers or other stuff, but I am curious.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »

Scuba air is filtered dried and most importantly pumped by a non oil-lubricated pump. You can't have oil in breathing air like most normal compressors will give or it can kill you.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »

Please tell us what is "technical air" as opposed to "clean breathable air". probably not that that has much to do with riding powered two wheelers or other stuff, but I am curious.

Yep, what flattetyre correctly pointed out above.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 07:33:39 PM »

And here I was thinking that "technical air" was just another term for expensive air.   ;)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »

I get it, it was an April Fools joke, but the old air car dream is still being pitched.  If only to laughter.   But hey if you can't trust Pat Boone who can you trust?

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »

I get it, it was an April Fools joke, but the old air car dream is still being pitched.

It has been done :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage#/media/File:Compressed_Air_Loco.jpg

Wikipedia article also claims the energy density of Compressed Air batteries would be on par with Lead-Acid (so like 4 times less than Lithium Ion). Which technically means
there can be plenty of practical mobile applications.

NearDeath

• View Profile

Don't believe a word Sam Paschel says. Zero is likely still sitting on substantial 2018 inventory, close to 20% of production which was less than 2300.  The VINS tell the story.  Despite this, Zero has for years repeatedly claimed robust sales growth and predicted next years sales will be up 50% even stating double this year.  All lies.  Imagine if Ducati, Harley or GM told such tales.  Public company or not, it's fraud where it influences consumer and dealer behavior, induces you to buy and invest in the brand.  It's a crime. In the best of circumstances Zero has no ability to produce anything close to 10,000 motorcycles this year, let alone 10,000 SR/F. If Zero is around in 2020, maybe 2000 units post recall, if Lightning doesn't eat their lunch. Paschel has no business running an automotive company. No management chops. Hired because Invus did not want anyone in the job with industry experience or a moral compass. He's more interested in telling tales then building a competent vehicle. His actions are criminal, not only according to counsel for the class action.  Zero is staring down the barrel at multiple recalls from US and EU authorities that have been a long time coming.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:21:03 PM by NearDeath »

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile

Don't believe a word Sam Paschel says. Zero is likely still sitting on substantial 2018 inventory, close to 20% of production which was less than 2300.  The VINS tell the story.  Despite this, Zero has for years repeatedly claimed robust sales growth and predicted next years sales will be up 50% even stating double this year.  All lies.  Imagine if Ducati, Harley or GM told such tales.  Public company or not, it's fraud where it influences consumer and dealer behavior, induces you to buy and invest in the brand.  It's a crime. In the best of circumstances Zero has no ability to produce anything close to 10,000 motorcycles this year, let alone 10,000 SR/F. If Zero is around in 2020, maybe 2000 units post recall, if Lightning doesn't eat their lunch. Paschel has no business running an automotive company. No management chops. Hired because Invus did not want anyone in the job with industry experience or a moral compass. He's more interested in telling tales then building a competent vehicle. His actions are criminal, not only according to counsel for the class action.  Zero is staring down the barrel at multiple recalls from US and EU authorities that have been a long time coming.
From the tone of your email, I am guessing you have a a bone to pick with Zero.  Based on the tone alone and your anger, I have more of a chance believing the CEO than someone who has a general hated for the company. You seem to throw a lot of opinion around as fact with less to back it up than him.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 03:15:41 AM »

I haven't heard of any recent official, or even unofficial recalls, of Zero motorcycles, NearDeath.  Do you have any specifics and details regarding that claim?  And if you do, what is the source?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »

I get it, it was an April Fools joke, but the old air car dream is still being pitched.

It has been done :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage#/media/File:Compressed_Air_Loco.jpg

Wikipedia article also claims the energy density of Compressed Air batteries would be on par with Lead-Acid (so like 4 times less than Lithium Ion). Which technically means
there can be plenty of practical mobile applications.

Yeah it's been around since the 1800's although so has the electric car.  But batteries have made huge advancements where as air is still air.  For the power and range you'd be better off walking or riding a bicycle in my opinion.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 05:18:56 AM »

Disagree that compressed air tech can't be more advanced than 19th century. Material science marches on.

What's up with NearDeath? AprilFools Troll? A bomb throwing employee of a competitor?
Pages: 1 [2] 3