• May 04, 2024, 12:30:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/f Portable charge cable failed  (Read 905 times)

electrik

• View Profile
SR/f Portable charge cable failed
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:29:41 AM »

After a long holiday break since I got my bike, I was excited to ride it only to be disappointed by a failed charge cable.
Not sure how common this is but I'm finding it hard to find anything on internet.

So, here it goes...

I got my bike about 20 days ago. It was a ex-demo with 1500 miles on clock. I did a couple of fun trips and a trial run to work on Sunday preparing for Monday. After I got home on Sunday, I struggled a bit to charge but I finally manage to put the bike to charge to 100% and it went well.

Yesterday, I plugged it in to charge and the blue light on the SR/F charge cable would not come up despite of numerous different tries. The manual was useless to explain what to expect. After several searches, I figured out that it is Metron charger but only rated for 10 Amps. I didn't notice this until I was having problems but when I was charging the bike, it was going above 10. I definitely saw a 13 Amp charge on Sunday evening. Anyway, I tried everything on their manual for PC03 with RCD pressing the only button on the charge gun but no success. BTW, the version rebranded for Zero is not PC03 as PC03 goes up until 16 Amps.

I thought I will visit a local charge station to charge this morning. This was the first time I visited a charge station ever. I didn't know what to expect. So, I expected the worst and it didn't disappoint. I was hoping that they have a tethered cable. Now, the hunt for cables has begun but I didn't want to spend too much before knowing the fault. So, I went to a Hyundai showroom who has a charge point in their parking space to see if they have a Type 2 charge cable... No luck! I was even ready to buy one at that point, not just lend but surprisingly, a EV (ioniq) seller does not sell spare charge cables.

Next stop a local Euro Parts store... they did not even understand the cable I needed. They initially thought I needed a jump start cable or something.
Next stop Screwfix. They do sell a UK 3-pin to type-2 portable charger but there were not any in stock and also, a search on Amazon previous night showed me a IP65 rated charger. So, I was slightly hesitant to buy Screwfix one just to calm my anxiety.
Next try... all the EV sellers in like 15-20 mile radius. I can't believe no one stocks a single charge cable!!! Jaguar - No, Nissan - No.

I was exhausted at this point and headed home and stopped at a neighbor's house who has a wall charge point installed. He was very welcoming and said yes to my test. He actually thought I wanted to charge, bless him. So, I quickly ran the test and voila, it is still functional, the on board charger. So, it has to be the cable. I now rand my dealer and told him the problem. He is contacting the supplier to get a warranty replacement but until that arrives, I won't be able to ride. This is not a good enough end. So, I decided to buy the charger off Amazon for next day delivery.

I thought I will give the charger another try and suddenly, it went blue. At this point, it was not connected to the bike, just to mains. So, I plugged it into the bike and it turned on and immediately, the RCD on it tripped. I thought it could be the wall socket. So, I decided to move to another socket but the result was same. I even tried the method on Metron manual to reduce the draw to lowest but it didn't help. I guess it is shorting at the gun somewhere. At least the charge cable is turning on now.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences with the portable charge cable? What would cause the RDC to trip?

Has anyone tried Tesla portable charger on the bike on a 13 amp circuit? I'm planning to get that at some point or even the Tesla wall charger if possible.

Lastly, I hate that OLEV grant for installation of EV chargers is not available for Motorbikes... Stupid UK govt and Zero for not applying for one.

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

electrik

• View Profile
Re: SR/f Portable charge cable failed
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:00:12 PM »

Not in England

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:30:23 PM »

Isn't that cable a bit overpriced for what it does?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

noyesknifer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

It's the cable that comes with the SR/F in the US, not sure how useful it is in Europe however.
2020 Zero SR/F Standard (sold)
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:24:55 AM »

Isn't that cable a bit overpriced for what it does?

It's also surprising to me. Why is every EVSE with a J-1772 connector priced so high ($280, $400, $560, ...), regardless of amperage? I'd expect something for $30 from China, containing an integrated chip and a couple other components.

Maybe someone here knows why. The connector is expensive? The contactor relay? GFCI? Licensing fee monopoly?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 03:35:10 AM »

I'd expect it to be around $100-$200 all told for a retail price.  But yes, the intelligence needed in such a unit is not great.  I'm guessing it's because there's no standard mass market to sell these to, so everything is chasing the markups right now.

(See also: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st )

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 04:30:30 AM »

See also: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st

The eMotorWerks kickstarter ended 6 years ago. They stopped their open source and became a commercial success selling units for $550, and are owned by Enel today. (I was eventually able to track down some of the schematics and firmware on Archive.org).

petewarm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 04:47:08 AM »

I paid £450 for the charge cable in the UK, with a type 2 connector.

I have since found out these can be got for less than half this on ebay.

Its the same charger for a 13A UK socket for most smaller electric cars with the 13A plug.  Some of these dont have the Metron's RCD or the variable charge rates of 6,8,10A so needs a good quality socket installation, preferably able to handle 16A at 230 V

Of course, it only uses one of the on board 3kW chargers, so it really designed for overnight charging.

I have found  round me ( SW UK) all the motorway stations have 22 or 43kW chargers with tethered cables, so I only carry the portable charge cable fro overnight charging when I'm away.

I hope you get it replaced soon!

2019 SR/F premium blue - weeeeee! - now with rapid charge :-)
5 years no driving with defibrillator
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family
1970 Triumph 350 speed twin school commute

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

electrik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 07:24:19 AM »

I paid £450 for the charge cable in the UK, with a type 2 connector.

I have since found out these can be got for less than half this on ebay.

Its the same charger for a 13A UK socket for most smaller electric cars with the 13A plug.  Some of these dont have the Metron's RCD or the variable charge rates of 6,8,10A so needs a good quality socket installation, preferably able to handle 16A at 230 V

Of course, it only uses one of the on board 3kW chargers, so it really designed for overnight charging.

I have found  round me ( SW UK) all the motorway stations have 22 or 43kW chargers with tethered cables, so I only carry the portable charge cable fro overnight charging when I'm away.

I hope you get it replaced soon!

I haven't tried any motorway charge points. Didn't want to risk it with just 22 miles charge left.

I got the morec ev charger off Amazon yesterday and it is working fine (with some caveats? - read below). I'm planning to get the Tesla wall charger installed soon. So, called electrician yesterday. He tried resetting the RCD on metron and it eventually worked. Before that, yesterday morning, it was lighting up out of the blue but kept tripping as soon as pilot signal was initiated. Hopefully I will get replacement soon.

Regarding the Morec one, it says rated for 10 amps but bike is reading 20amps and charging at 2.1 KW making it around 9amps. Not sure what is going on.

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 08:43:57 AM »

The charging amps on my SR/F is based on 110 volts even if plugged into 220 volts.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »

The charging amps shown on the SR/F dash is the DC amperage into the battery, not the AC input voltage or amperage. Whether you provide 110V or 220V AC into the charger, it gets converted to approximately 110V DC.

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 08:58:35 AM »

Auriga’s answer makes more sense than mine

electrik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »

Gottcha. Thanks for clarification. I was worried about the load on the charger. Saying that, the Zero provided, Metron, was worse. Was only doing 5 amps off wall. It is definetly not worth £400 asking price!
Pages: [1]