• May 03, 2024, 11:40:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: This is a silly question, but...  (Read 1684 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: This is a silly question, but...
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 07:39:56 AM »

Debate == argument
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »

I must admit it's painful to read when someone who doesn't understand electrical engineering is trying to explain electrical engineering to someone that has worked with it for 30+ years...

@DonTom: i feel you.. Fortunately, being in a country where 120VAC doesn't exist outside theoretical examples in a schoolbook, we've experienced somewhat similiar, yet with different challenges, discussions regarding 230VAC and 400VAC..

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »

If you have a Zero, you have 100v three-phase alternating electricity for the motor, now don't you?

Now who doesn't understand electrical engineering?  Ugh.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »

If you have a Zero, you have 100v three-phase alternating electricity for the motor, now don't you?

no.. i don't and neither do you..

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 01:45:27 AM »

Then what I read was wrong.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Motorcycles

Doesn't change that a switching power supply is a pretty standard part required for a Zero charger.  Or any charger using AC input.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 02:00:40 AM »

"a switching power supply" is not the universal explanation for "accepting any type of input, resulting in same output regardless"..
A power supply having multiple voltage input possibilities is JUST THAT.. it bears NO EFFECT on how the output stage of a charger works.
it could have a max output of 1300w or being able to deal out 3000w.. It could have other types of logic tied to load meaning it wont try to overload a normal circuit yet still be able to support a higher load when available.
My point (and several others in this thread) is that a charger is not just one type of setup, it could be able to do more than just one level of charge.
Just because Zero's default charger is limited to a very low output charge while accepting a wide variety of input voltage doesn't make it the de facto standard of any and all chargers.. Voltage and Wattage are not the same thing, and arguing like they are doesn't change that..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]