• May 07, 2024, 07:30:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Electric wheelies  (Read 5349 times)

MajorMajor

• View Profile
Re: Electric wheelies
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »

Maybe there's something wrong with mine. Loses traction constantly.
How much do you weigh?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 11:58:53 PM »

Or maybe you got a special one that has a more powerful controller ;) ?
'15 Zero SR

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 01:49:12 AM »

Accidentally filled the wheels with helium  ;)

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 05:17:56 AM »

A reminder that the torque listed for gas bikes is for 5th or 6th gear, not lower gears, the gears multiple the torque, so an R1 has way more torque than the SR.

In both cases, torque is measured at the output shaft of the motor, so both bikes have gearing/torque multiplication issues to be considered. In another thread, someone suggested using thrust at the rear wheel as the standard, and I think that's a great idea. Perhaps even better would be thrust/weight, which would directly give you acceleration in G's. Five hundred pounds of thrust will accelerate 1000 pounds of bike and rider at exactly 1/2 G.

The only problem with measuring torque at the rear wheel is that bikes with really low gears would be high up the scale but may have weak motors. You could have a 450 dirt bike looking better than a R1, but as soon as the dirt bike changes into 2nd or 3nd gear its left for dead by the R1. The figure would end up meaning nothing.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »

Easily solved by publishing the rear wheel torque for each gear

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:06 AM »

I still think that the weight distribution on the SR is too far forward or a easy wheelie.

Other things to consider is chain and drive train of a gas bike has lot of play in the system.  With lots of play in the system the momentum of the system builds up before it is even transferred to the rear wheel, so the impact of on-and-off throttle helps lift the front wheel. 

Zero with a belt and a single speed transfers power more directly to the rear wheel. 

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 03:08:57 AM »

I still think that the weight distribution on the SR is too far forward or a easy wheelie.

Other things to consider is chain and drive train of a gas bike has lot of play in the system.  With lots of play in the system the momentum of the system builds up before it is even transferred to the rear wheel, so the impact of on-and-off throttle helps lift the front wheel. 

Zero with a belt and a single speed transfers power more directly to the rear wheel.

lol. forget "play in the system".. pull the clutch in, rev it up and dump it out.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 03:01:08 PM »

Maybe 12% more torque would help?
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_6&products_id=182

I don't know, because I have an FX. The wheel seems to come up at higher speeds (freeway on-ramp) or on bumps, but not straight from a stop. Because DC motors are supposed to have the highest torque at low RPM, I theorize that the motor controller is programmed to rein it in -- unfortunately a little too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3]