• May 07, 2024, 05:46:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 3024 Kawasaki e-1 electric motorcycle models  (Read 1839 times)

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 3024 Kawasaki e-1 electric motorcycle models
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 02:18:18 AM »

Here's a review along with a price, £7800 (£7300 after a government incentive). I thought it was going to be more like £5k. £2800 more than a Super Soco TC Max, which is comparable to Kawasaki's top 125s in price, is never going to sell. I seriously can't imagine a single person buying one when anyone with that much to spend would surely think more logically. Hell you could easily get a lightly used 11kW Zero for that much. Also it's uncomfortable and cramped with poor suspension, tyres, and brakes. Probably the only good thing about it is a 4 year warranty with 5 years on the batteries.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/z-e-1/2024/

Disappointing, I know it's a first try but it's a dismal one.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2023, 09:17:39 AM »

Here's a review along with a price, £7800 (£7300 after a government incentive). I thought it was going to be more like £5k. £2800 more than a Super Soco TC Max, which is comparable to Kawasaki's top 125s in price, is never going to sell. I seriously can't imagine a single person buying one when anyone with that much to spend would surely think more logically. Hell you could easily get a lightly used 11kW Zero for that much. Also it's uncomfortable and cramped with poor suspension, tyres, and brakes. Probably the only good thing about it is a 4 year warranty with 5 years on the batteries.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/z-e-1/2024/

Disappointing, I know it's a first try but it's a dismal one.

First try? Kawasaki showed a BEV motorcycle concept back in 2013 (a variable rider-geometry 3-wheeler)

and patents & trademarks as far back as 2015.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/kawasaki-plans-electric-motorcycle/
And as recently as 2 years ago, they were talking about a 400cc-equivalent faired street bike as their first model.

The current announcement is a complete joke in every respect.
You can get better specs on AliExpress.

gregj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 03:16:24 AM »

Well that was a disappointment. Even Kawasaki can't make a proper basic electric motorcycle. Lots of flash...no dash... Unless an emotorcycle has a minimium of about 8Kw (continuous) it is a town scooter not a motorcycle. 100kph is a minimium.
I guess I will keep waiting for a useable commuter.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »

Ok, having thought about it I think they've made one critical mistake and it's killed everything on the bike.

It's the battery, all of their design choices have been built around accommodating this thing, voltage, power, weight, charging, everything flows from that choice and it's a monumentally bad one. They sacrificed everything that would make it desirable for a swappable battery with no infrastructure to support it that's incompatible with the existing charging infrastructure.

I dunno how they managed to make it so expensive on top of that while also cheaping out on its equipment. It's gonna bomb and they'll use that as a justification not to make any more.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 06:36:00 PM »

I'm assuming their plan is to eventually start making electric scooters, basically identical to this bike component wise but in a different shape. To do so and actually have them sell they need to cut the price in half, using scooter components will help a little bit with that but unless this thing is just stupidly expensive due to a low production volume then it's not going to happen. That then brings the question of why did they bother with this thing at all instead of going straight to scooters? All I can think of is it's all for the attention, any publicity is good publicity and they can say they're the first of the big four Japanese manufacturers to have an electric motorcycle (I think Honda already has their scooter, at least in Japan).

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2023, 07:20:26 PM »

I'm assuming their plan is to eventually start making electric scooters, basically identical to this bike component wise but in a different shape. To do so and actually have them sell they need to cut the price in half, using scooter components will help a little bit with that but unless this thing is just stupidly expensive due to a low production volume then it's not going to happen. That then brings the question of why did they bother with this thing at all instead of going straight to scooters? All I can think of is it's all for the attention, any publicity is good publicity and they can say they're the first of the big four Japanese manufacturers to have an electric motorcycle (I think Honda already has their scooter, at least in Japan).

Do Kawasaki even have a scooter chassis in production, as do all of the other Japanese manufacturers? If they do, I can't recall it. They seem to have chosen the 400cc ICE models because the chassis was already available and could just dump an EV power train into the chassis. If they don't have a scooter chassis already available and in production, it wouldn't be nearly as cheap to design and manufacture one from scratch as using their existing motorcycle chassis. It would appear as if Kawasaki is just testing the consumer waters and perhaps is marketing this model in order to keep Japanese and EU regulators happy and off their backs for a few years.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2023, 08:20:55 PM »

Yamaha also already has a couple of models, in Taiwan (I think it's essentially a rebadged Gogoro -- it uses the same batteries & swap system), 50cc-equivalent .

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2023, 08:22:06 PM »

Do Kawasaki even have a scooter chassis in production, as do all of the other Japanese manufacturers? If they do, I can't recall it. They seem to have chosen the 400cc ICE models because the chassis was already available and could just dump an EV power train into the chassis. If they don't have a scooter chassis already available and in production, it wouldn't be nearly as cheap to design and manufacture one from scratch as using their existing motorcycle chassis. It would appear as if Kawasaki is just testing the consumer waters and perhaps is marketing this model in order to keep Japanese and EU regulators happy and off their backs for a few years.  ???
At least w.r.t. the EU, having a model on offer doesn't help them if it doesn't sell.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2023, 02:04:44 AM »

What happens when there is something in the road, a box, a toy, a flower pot etc and it gets wedged between those two front tires just right, or binds one of them and causes it to lurch this or that way on you while doing highway speeds? 
Or what happens when the road is shitty and has one of those 2 inch we are laying new pavement grooves that you have to somehow try to get over and the front wheels decide to start playing the dixie doodle on that ledge?

Why would I want to wear out 2 tires instead of just one, so I can, I guess turn better around tight corners when they come up in the less than 1 percent of my travel??  :shrug:

I wonder how a death wobble would manifest in this, and how it would squelch itself?  Or maybe this makes the bike immune to that?

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2023, 05:43:59 PM »

I think the thought process goes something like this.

Executive: Make electric motorbike
Engineer: Ok
Executive: We spent money on swappable battery research, use that
Engineer: This is ill advised
Executive: Don't care, use swappable battery, this is our corporate strategy now
Engineer: Ok, but I did warn you

[later]

Engineer: We made it, it's not very good
Executive: Great, ship it
Engineer: But ...
Executive: I have a golf date, no time for arguments, just ship it

[the future]

Executive: Why is this bike bombing, nobody wants electrics!
Engineer: We did our best
Executive: Of course we did, I guess we'll abandon electrics, there's no money in them

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2023, 07:20:02 PM »

I think the thought process goes something like this.

Executive: Make electric motorbike
Engineer: Ok
Executive: We spent money on swappable battery research, use that
Engineer: This is ill advised
Executive: Don't care, use swappable battery, this is our corporate strategy now
Engineer: Ok, but I did warn you

[later]

Engineer: We made it, it's not very good
Executive: Great, ship it
Engineer: But ...
Executive: I have a golf date, no time for arguments, just ship it

[the future]

Executive: Why is this bike bombing, nobody wants electrics!
Engineer: We did our best
Executive: Of course we did, I guess we'll abandon electrics, there's no money in them

That sounds about right to me, except that the engineers will be blamed for the product that doesn't sell. The executives that made the decision never take the blame and will find someone in the lower chain of command to pin the donkey's tail on. 

When I worked in a local city's engineering department and received a stupid idea to implement, I would always keep a written record of the order, when it was made and who made it. Once the word got around that I document everything, I was never bothered with another dump idea again. They would then drop the bomb on some other unsuspecting staff member when looking for someone to blame for a decision that the city management made.

My favorite story was a request from a city councilman during the late 1970's who had just returned from Venice and wanted to replace the city's downtown street (which had about a 5% slope on the roadway) with a canal and have gondolas travel up and down it. We tried to explain that was impossible because the water would only flow downhill, there was no source of water around to keep the river filled and no way for the gondolas to get back up the "canal". We were told that since we were engineers, just make it work. Fortunately, before we could come up with an idea to make it work (like a lock system), the idea faded away. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:51:35 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2023, 10:53:36 PM »

I worked in a power plant.  Same story.   Engineer makes STUPID AF idea, and YOU the technician have to magically make it work.
You ask the engineer, what were you expecting this (subsystem), that (part) to do specifically?  Would get an arrogant shitty reply back.  Ok no help there.  Step two...

Id fix the system, redesign it, E mail the entire chain, with my planned fixes, detailing the questionable competence of the person who submitted the original idea, and saying, do you want this shit to work or are we going to throw MORE millions of dollars into the toilet on stupid designs that do not work like we did with idea A, B, C in the past?  (They HATE when you point out past ignorance in e mails because they can't hide from it or deflect as easily then).

Id end the letter with a 'suggestion'  next time you want to design something, why don't you actually talk to a Technician FIRST, you know, the person with over 3 decades of real life experience with this stuff, AND the sorry SOB who is going to be tasked with actually making your kludge actually WORK.  This will save us countless hours of back and forth, saving the company money (a plus) AND save un necessary embarrassment when all this crap has to go public because a project is not online on a target date due to poor design, and you have to mooch more money to RE design it properly this time.

Two days later, Id be called into my managers office, he'd smile at me and say, "Aaron you know what time it is" here's your counselling sheet for hurting his feelings, sign it and get back to work.  We'd both laugh, and I never would have to deal with dweebster ever again.  word got out after a while, if you want to 'fix' something or change it, talk to the techs who work there first.

Id bend over backwards to help a new engineer do a project, because I know the crap they are under to 'demonstrate performance' to keep their job past the probationary period, besides, it's so much easier when you both are on the same page!  But when they'd come in with the, I have a degree, you don't so your inputs are not needed attitude.  Ok boy, time to lance that ego you got there.

E mail is ALWAYS your friend when dealing with management who are slimy /  shady / or just dirty snakes.  Make sure you always BCC a copy to your home e mail as well, in case the company's servers 'accidentally' corrupt e mail files, in case something ends up in a lawsuit or something.   More than once e mails saved my job from scum bag cowards in management positions.

Aaron

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 11:20:09 PM »

The progression of this discussion reminds me of this….

https://youtu.be/BKorP55Aqvg?si=Rw-B-vEXTTQOTVHM
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2023, 11:45:31 AM »

Oh so you visited our planning department!
Sadly that looks like a normal conversation with just about any / every Z you come across and have to explain something that does not involve an emoji somewhere.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2023, 08:39:27 PM »

Here is a detailed review from Europe of the Kawasaki e-1:  https://thepack.news/the-pack-tested-the-kawasaki-z-e-1-electric-motorbike-in-brussels/
Pages: 1 [2]