• May 05, 2024, 04:45:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New to me '17DS questions  (Read 428 times)

hop_along

• View Profile
New to me '17DS questions
« on: May 12, 2020, 03:26:31 AM »

OK, New first time Zero owner, long history with other motos.  I recently acquired a gently used Zero DS, for the quiet ride experience. 

I've poked around a wee bit, but I am not finding answers to a few questions...probably due to my lame googly skills hahaha

2017 DS, Charge Tank installed.

-I can find references to folks storing the stock 110v charging cable "in the frame tube". Is there supposed to be a tube storage method, or plugs to cap off either end?  (I am guessing there is not)

-I can find references to a Took Kit from Zero being available to purchase; I plan on assembling my own.  But where do folks store theirs? 
--If stored under seat, where does one store a T45 to remove the seat?

-Is there a better seat removal method, compared to the T45 bolts?  Removing those is a pain with the Zero luggage rack installed (it is totes doable, just annoying and inelegant); and I don't always travel with luggage to carry a T45 much less a toolkit. 

-Finally... what is this unconnected bullet connector for?  it is located under seat, nearer to the front. 

Thanks; really I am enjoying the quietude this bike provides.  And it's a fun ride to boot!

Hop Along
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:28:17 AM by hop_along »

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: New to me '17DS questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 03:41:12 AM »

Looks like there's another bullet connector there hidden under the wires. If I remember correctly from fitting my tail tidy those are for the plate light so check that yours is lit. It may also be the tail light so check that too, including pressing the brake to make sure it glows brighter. The white plugs are the turn signals.

For the seat some people have fitted quick release pins but I don't think they work as well with a rack installed.

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Quick_Seat_Release

Have you actually tried putting the cable in the frame? It seems like it would be a really tight fit, if you could get it in there at all, and it would hold itself in there just from the force of it being compressed. I think towards the centre of the tube the diameter is actually a little bit larger so the cable would need to be compressed even further and require some force to pull it out.

jkaet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:55:27 AM »

I put my cable right in the frame by the rear shock. Dealer had it there when I got her and I never questioned it, fits in there snug enough.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:02:07 AM by jkaet »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 05:48:28 AM »

Hi Hop Along and Jkaet welcome aboard.
I know a lot of gas bikes use the under seat option for some tools but the bikes really aren't set up for it, hence the hard way to get in.
The main frame tube has a smaller ring in the center on these newer ones as my old 13 is smooth across.  Maybe to help hold the cord or maybe just welding two shorter pipes together.

With having the charge tank some other type of storage is best.  Either a hard top box or the soft tie down ones.  Some people have used a tank bag but you have to find one that straps down and doesn't just use magnets.

I think TheRan is right and it's a plate light connection wire.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:38:45 AM »

-I can find references to folks storing the stock 110v charging cable "in the frame tube". Is there supposed to be a tube storage method, or plugs to cap off either end?  (I am guessing there is not)

What I did on my 2016 DSR was to use an ABS (plumbing drain/vent plastic pipe) approx the same length & outer diameter os the frame tubes inner diameter.
The frame tube has a center section for the rear shocks top mount so I had to notch out this section one one side of the ABS tube & then insert & glue that piece on the other side of the frame tube.
A 6’ (2 meter) cord fits well (folded into 3 sections) & will not come out (unlike the 20-25’ cord I put into the swing arm tube.... I now use a zip tie to fasten it in place).

NOTE: care must be taken when removing/inserting the 6’ cord as that shock mount in the frame tube will tare up  the cords insulation.
Best to position the folded cord so it’s parallel with the shock & at its narrowest while sliding past. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

hop_along

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »

[quote/]
NOTE: care must be taken when removing/inserting the 6’ cord as that shock mount in the frame tube will tare up  the cords insulation.
Best to position the folded cord so it’s parallel with the shock & at its narrowest while sliding past.
[/quote]

ESokoloff, all the nuanced detail is super appreciated!
Hop Along

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:03:18 AM »

Welcome!

The unofficial manual covers a ton of things about these bikes, and one of them is tool kit requirements:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Tool_Kits

Generally, there's a service manual and a bunch of howto guides for modifying the bike. Coverage isn't comprehensive, but everything written there has been checked a bunch of times.
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hop_along

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »

Welcome!

Thanks!  Really enjoying the ride!
Hop

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]