• May 06, 2024, 12:24:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anyone Have a DSR + Power Tank?  (Read 1122 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Have a DSR + Power Tank?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »

Thanks for the additional info.

I have to say I'm hesitant about spending $20k on a bike that I might low side at any point.

I have been watching Pinaero's youtube chronicles about his DSR.  During his 8,000 mile review, he posted that he low sided his bike in the way that most people report it.

From a stop, accelerating through a left turn, rear tire spun up unexpectedly and down he went damaging himself and the bike.  It seems to be a recurring theme with the SR/DSR bikes.

I don't mind stories about people low siding them on a demo ride.  The reason this story stuck with me is he has been riding this bike for 8.000 miles and knows what to expect from it at this point, but lost focus for a second and down he went.  Which means you can never really get comfortable with the bike and cut loose on it, it sounds.  Always have to keep that power in check by either wrist control, cramp buster, custom low torque settings, etc.

It makes me wonder, why buy it if you can't use it?

The rear wheel on my S spun up once when I was one a wet and slippery tight right-hand turn freeway on-ramp. The entire bike shook violently for a second or two before I backed off on the throttle and the chassis stabilized.  I did not fall over.  However, I could see this happening on an SR if you are not careful and I can certainly understand why Zero decided to put traction-control on the SR/F.  Because of the lack of the flywheel effect that you get from most ICE motorcycles it is hard to keep the rear wheel from spinning under slippery conditions if you are not careful.  So just take it easy when the streets are wet and slippery and you should be fine.  If you are a throttle-whacker under those conditions then you will suffer the School of Hard Knocks.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »

I’ve recovered from every traction loss on a Zero I’ve had, by focusing on balance through the footpegs, gentle damping through the handlebars, and quickly easing off the throttle.

I’ve written it up on the unofficial manual.

I’m not afraid of it at all now, and it just doesn’t happen once you’re acclimated to the bike in wet weather, particularly soon after a rain starts after a dry spell, when surface oils on the road come up but haven’t washed away yet.

Everyone has valid comfort zones, but personally, I think this issue once confronted and trained for can be nearly forgotten on a Zero.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »

I appreciate that.  Quells the concern a bit.

I've ridden the FX, DS, DSR, SR/F (without traction control and SR/F (with traction control) so far and the only bike that surprised me during the test ride was the SR/F without traction control.  It stepped out on me very easily on dry smooth pavement, but I felt it and countered it and stayed up.

Frankly, I don't plan on getting on the DSR if the roads are wet.  I'll take an ICE bike out that day.  The DSR will just be a good weather fun bike for the most part.  At least initially.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:51 PM »

Just heard that my DSR will ship mid June.  Guessing pickup near 1st of July.  Which is fine with me, as it gives me more time to sell my Africa Twin, which it is replacing.

Apparently, the 2019 model DSR exceeded their expectations for sales and the one they are building for my order will be the last 2019 model DSR built.  Meaning, only demo's will be left for sale going forward.  No word on what the 2020 DSR will look like yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]