• May 04, 2024, 06:22:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2023 MotoE underway!  (Read 1142 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
2023 MotoE underway!
« on: May 15, 2023, 10:29:11 PM »

The 2023 MotoE season kicked off this past weekend in France. I'm not posting any spoilers though for folks who want to watch recordings.

My initial thoughts of the Ducati V21L vs the Energica Ego:
  • The Ducatis seem much louder than the Energicas but that could be due to better microphone placement
  • Watching how the riders are riding the bikes it's apparent the difference between adapting a street bike for the track (Energica) and developing a pure race bike (Ducati)
  • I'm impressed with the Ducati's performance numbers. While I would have still liked to see a multi-manufacturer series my gut tells me the Energicas wouldn't have been competitive against the Ducatis.

On a semi related note: The next race in MotoAmerica's Hooligan series is this July at Laguna Seca. Looking forward to seeing the Ribelle on the track again. Hopefully they can maintain their consistency and keep the bike in the top 10.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Fred

• View Profile
Re: 2023 MotoE underway!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 12:50:05 AM »

I'm looking forward to watching that maybe more than the MotoGP. I watch the highlights on ITV4 in the UK and I suspect they might not show MotoE.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 02:36:24 AM »

I can relate. I haven't been able to find any MotoE broadcasts here in the US (San Francisco Bay Area). I ended up getting a MotoGP subscription just so I could watch MotoE. I'm only marginally interested in MotoGP as well.

At least Formula E is broadcast here in the US, my YouTube TV records that race series for me. :)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 06:47:05 AM »

Quick point of order, the next SuperHooligan race with Energica is actually at the end of June in Washington. Seca is 2 weeks after that and should be awesome!

https://www.superhooligan.com/schedule

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 11:19:15 PM »

dammit  I wish I could get to it, i'd love to see something like this!   Oh well, maybe next year I get lucky and it cycles thru fla / ga /sc /alabama again and I can grab it !

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 12:56:57 AM »

Honestly Laguna Seca, despite it being a really cool track, is a horrible spectator experience. The track goes up and behind a hill. There's no 'good' spot to view the race other than the TV cameras. As a young kid we would have industry friends come and visit during big races. They would stay with us and then bring my brother and I to the expensive booths with the catered lunches. During the races I noticed everyone sitting in their expensive chairs, the races happening just in front of us, staring at the TV screens mounted in the top right corner of the room. Because that was the best way to see what was happening in the races.

Now, going there for the experience and seeing/hearing/smelling the sights and sounds is a valid reason to go. But as a spectator experience you're better off buying a streaming ticket for $20 and watching it in comfort with snacks at home.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 02:56:29 AM »

Quick point of order, the next SuperHooligan race with Energica is actually at the end of June in Washington. Seca is 2 weeks after that and should be awesome!

Thanks! I don't know how I missed the Washington race in June. I blame old age. ;)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »

Thanks! I don't know how I missed the Washington race in June. I blame old age. ;)

The same way I missed the Hooligan right here in Daytona a month or so ago, not really advertised much and only heard about it here after it was already going on.  But now we know right? 

Aaron

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 05:27:39 PM »

Oddly enough, AHRMA (the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association) has an electric series.  I've seen it a couple of times and it's amazing.  Although some people run stock/modified production bikes, the real interesting ones are the engineering projects entered by some university students.  A few years ago at New Jersey Motorsports Park there was a team from Quebec that had the fastest bike I'd seen that weekend.  The problem was, both times it raced it died before it could finish.  The students were GREAT to talk to as well.  If you get the opportunity, you should go check it out.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 09:11:25 PM »

Oddly enough, AHRMA (the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association) has an electric series.  I've seen it a couple of times and it's amazing.  Although some people run stock/modified production bikes, the real interesting ones are the engineering projects entered by some university students.  A few years ago at New Jersey Motorsports Park there was a team from Quebec that had the fastest bike I'd seen that weekend.  The problem was, both times it raced it died before it could finish.  The students were GREAT to talk to as well.  If you get the opportunity, you should go check it out.

I've watched this many times; it's the Formula Lightning class run by Arthur Kowitz. He's a great dude. Modified his own Zero SR to liquid cool the motor. It's mostly made up of old dudes like Arthur or Dick Illman on Zero SR/Fs and SR/S bikes, with the occasional Pete Nicolosi on his 2018 Energica Ego. The Brammo riders finally upgraded to new Zero bikes. If the race is at Seca there's a good chance you'll also see Zero exec and ex-AMA racer Kenyon Kluge and a showing from Brian Wismann with his purpose-built Lightfighter which is always evolving and improving.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 11:05:17 PM »

dammit,  why do I ALWAYS find out about awesome shit now that I am an older bastard and have fewer years left to participate / do / and enjoy it !!  >:(   I should probably get a camper say F the world, and just go hang out wherever the hell I want.  I put in my time, im retired now, can't take money with you when you die, and the shit bag relatives only talk to you when they want something, so why  not have fun on the way out :D   Oh you think you are getting an inheritance,  oh, no cupcake, at best, YOU are getting a bill to bury my ass : :P :P

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 12:25:21 AM »

Pretty sure most of the dudes that race in Formula Lightning are older than you. Arthur is like 80.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 01:23:33 AM »

That's actually cool to know that a lot of middle aged guys are involved in it and it's not just for the kids.  Still wish Id have thought of it 20 years ago though..

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 04:39:39 AM »

Well the electric scene wasn't there 20 years ago. In the meantime go sign up with AHRMA and make friends with Arthur he's a great dude.
Pages: [1]