• May 04, 2024, 06:14:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MotoAmerica SuperHooligans racing  (Read 1363 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
MotoAmerica SuperHooligans racing
« on: June 24, 2023, 01:57:08 PM »

This weekend at The Ridge in Washington State there are lots of races. Round 2 of the Super Hooligan class is happening on Sunday which includes Energica EVA Ribelle RS competitor Stefano Mesa. It's his first time competing on this track so feel free to show hims some support. https://www.motoamericaliveplus.com/

CagivaRider

• View Profile
Re: MotoAmerica SuperHooligans racing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 11:12:07 AM »

I was at the Saturday race. Stefano crashed earlier in the day on his Kasawsaki chasing Flores' Ducati. He must have been stiff and sore because he missed the hooligan siting lap and started at the back of the grid. He made his way through to 7th or 8th. It was cool to see him late brake into corners and pull past on exit. I had a  blast.
2021 Zero S
2019 Zero SR
2015 BMW F800GT
2001 Moto Guzzi V11-Sport
1987 Cagiva Alazzurra 650
1985 Yamaha RZ350

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 03:43:40 PM »

Dude what a beautiful track. I watched the stream and thought, "hot damn that place is gorgeous".

Yeah that crash was terrifying. His gloves flew off! Very glad to hear he was ok. There was a technical discrepancy with the bike; basically an i wasn't properly dotted or a t wasn't properly crossed which resulted in them starting him from the back. Super impressive he clawed his way back into 7th! Laguna Seca next weekend heck yeah

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 09:43:19 PM »

I need to go watch the video's.
Yah some of these crashes are just insane, and the fact that most of them (thank whatever god you believe in) essentially get up and walk away from them, is a tribute to technology today.

Not surprised he clawed his way back up at all, that bike can do stupid stuff.  Im betting he has some sort of mod on his regen so he can really pull down on that into turns, that'd give him a shit ton of tractive forces up front to get thru them w/o having to play with the brakes so much.  Also being it's braking from the back, it's a lot easier to correct out of that if you over do it and start locking a wheel up than if you start sliding with a front wheel. (my opinion)  If you wanted to be either super stupid or super gangsta you could probably even feather sliding that rear wheel in the turn to control it.

Ill have to find the vids, that motoamerica is not letting me view them.

aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 04:24:18 AM »

They're all up for free on YouTube

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 12:37:39 PM »

This last weekend at The Ridge was amazing. Truly beautiful track, MotoAmerica put on a great show. Can not wait for the races at Laguna!

Stefano's crash was not the best way to start the weekend, thankfully he walked away relatively unscathed. Unfortunately his bike did not, most every part was bent or broken. His crew did an amazing job getting his spare bike ready for race 2.
For the race 1 of the Super Hooligan race Stefano missed the pit out window due to bad timing and had to start from the back of the field. It was a lesson learned and will not be repeated. He did an amazing job cutting through the field, passing around 20 riders in the first lap. Sadly due to a protest by another team he was disqualified, again lesson learned.

Im betting he has some sort of mod on his regen so he can really pull down on that into turns, that'd give him a shit ton of tractive forces up front to get thru them w/o having to play with the brakes so much. 

Actually Stefano prefers a lower regen setting. He uses the rear brake to modulate the total braking force to precisely control rear wheel slip. You could see smoke coming off the rear tire as he backed it in to turn 1. 

Here is the link to Supersport race 1 where Mesa had his BIG off in turn 8 https://youtu.be/F8N-EfsMmdI?t=267
Super hooligan race 1 https://www.youtube.com/live/DNeix6Qx4A8?feature=share&t=318
Super hooligan race 2 https://youtu.be/y2OqI9MmYWg?t=201

Also the bike looked great with the new livery

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 03:41:16 AM »

What did the other team protest that got him disqualified?  Something valid or shitty petty stuff because that's the only way they can win?

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 10:18:04 AM »

Update on this thread:

More hooliganism happening right now at Laguna Seca. Today was Race 1 for the Super Hooligans class and Stefano Mesa had an even more impressive showing than last year's fabled hole-shot.

There was a really rough crash on the third lap by one of the gas bikes so they ended up red flagging for what felt like at least 15 minutes and added ~4 additional warmup laps. This didn't do Energica's battery any favors, but he held strong and, on his second lap, set a new personal best lap time of 1:32.1xx  <-- I don't have the official number because MotoAmerica is only counting the last 5 of the 8 lap race because of the crash/red flag. Will try to confirm that bit but the crew was going nuts in pit lane.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 01:33:34 AM »

In cases like this where you have to idle and waste battery power, I think using regen as much as possible is probably the best route since there is not any other realistic way of putting more juice in.

How Hard IS that race on the battery?  Yes I know power needed to go fast goes up exponentially just about because of wind drag etc but would a few extra laps really eat half a battery down?

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 07:18:57 AM »

Extremely hard. Laguna Seca has a 3 story climb and subsequent drop which is both awesome and terrifying.

Today's race was great! Absolutely smooth. No crashes, no red flags, no shenanigans. Stefano managed to clock a 1:31.272 on lap 6 which is another personal best. It was crazy because the top 5 riders were all in a fairly consistent cluster. By the end there was a bit of a spread between them but the gap between 1st - 5th was 15 seconds, but the gap from 5th - 6th was an additional 36 seconds on top of that.

edit-

« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 12:29:33 PM by MVetter »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »

Even if he is not making the podium, the fact that ANY e bike is standing tall among them is a remarkable feat.  Given how many years the ICE's have had to tweak and perfect their mechanics and the e bike has been here only a few?  It's remarkable indeed and a true testiment to the quality of the E bikes IN the race.

Hopefully in a few years, we see some more Energica's battling it out on the beach so to say, or even some other E bikes in there too.  Let's get an E domination team!

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 09:56:34 PM »

I should also point out that the 1:31.272 is an all-time electric lap record at Laguna Seca.

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 02:23:54 AM »

Did Mesa get a 4th place finish at Laguna Seca on Sunday?
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

MVetter

• View Profile

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 10:15:24 PM »

I saw race results with him in 4th, but that must have been from the ridge and due to the two Indian FTRs getting DQ's for their handlebars.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube
Pages: [1]