• May 04, 2024, 02:53:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Smaller front sprocket source (either belt or 520 chain) for '14 FX  (Read 2122 times)

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile

Is there anything out there available in 1" shaft finished-bore?  I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything at all, except a few shops that'll make whatever I'd like, at a price I likely won't. :)

Belt: Gates Poly Chain GT (apparently Goodyear Falcon Pd and Continental CTD use the same profile), 8mm standard pitch, 14mm non-standard width, 24T or 23T
Chain: motorcycle #520, 11T  (plenty of stuff is available for the wider #530 / #50 chain)

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Smaller front sprocket source (either belt or 520 chain) for '14 FX
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

Does the ZERO FX CHAIN KIT on the Zero Accessories site help you out in any way?
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »

My 5.7 FX has the chain kit, courtesy of the previous owner.  It's got 65T aluminum rear and 12T front sprockets, and 520 chain. The chain is pretty loud at speed.  The chain ratio increases RW torque a bit, but the giant knobby on there reduces it more, so the 11T sprocket is mainly for experimentation.

What I really want is to use the belt again, along with fairly complete belt protection for the RH side and bottom, and partial protection for the LH side & top.  I'm also looking into making up an emergency belt just for getting home - I think I can make it strong enough, but I also want it easy to install on the trail and kind to the sprockets.

I'll contact a couple of the places I found that make custom pulleys, and report back with what they offer.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:22 PM »

you can machine down a 11T sprocket from McMaster-carr to match the width of the 520Chain.  You might be able to order a 520B11-21.3 sprocket direct from Martin.  It is not listed on their website, but a friend of mine has bought them direct from Martin Sprockets.

As others have stated, the 11T sprocket will be pretty noisy, and will likely increase the wear on the drive-line, requiring more maintenance.

-ryan

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »

ryan,

Thanks SO much for that info!  I just sent a request in to Martin with that part number, hopefully they'll be able to help me out.

I thought about machining the sprocket I just sent back to mscdirect (a Browning 1128610) but now I'm glad I didn't, if I can get ahold of the correct Martin one instead.

I really don't like the chain, and intend to return to belt drive if at all feasible (for the dirt).  If I like the 11T/65T chain ratio, I'll get 23T and 24T pulleys cut if I can find someone to do it; maybe others will be interested if there's enough tensioning available and I'll get a few of each.  I haven't looked into custom belts, the 14mm width will probably be a stumbling block there as well.

Ray

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

You will get problems if the diameter (23-24T) is to small for your belt.
The belt will be damaged if bent to tight .

I have only a belt handling info
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »

Thanks for that belt-handling guide, I hadn't seen it.  It recommends a minimum 8mm-pitch pulley diameter of 3", even though Gates supplies 8mm pulleys down to 22T (2.14") for both 12mm and 21mm belt widths.  The Zero 25T pulley is about 2.44" in diameter.

The belt-handling guide is 12 years old, and I couldn't find anything newer.  Maybe the latest belts can safely use smaller pulleys?

Just for grins, I wrapped my spare belt around a 32mm (1.25") chain roller - it took more force than I'd be comfortable with, that's for sure.  Maybe 2" diameter is the absolute minimum?

Ray

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »

Thanks for that belt-handling guide, I hadn't seen it.  It recommends a minimum 8mm-pitch pulley diameter of 3", even though Gates supplies 8mm pulleys down to 22T (2.14") for both 12mm and 21mm belt widths.  The Zero 25T pulley is about 2.44" in diameter.

The belt-handling guide is 12 years old, and I couldn't find anything newer.  Maybe the latest belts can safely use smaller pulleys?

Just for grins, I wrapped my spare belt around a 32mm (1.25") chain roller - it took more force than I'd be comfortable with, that's for sure.  Maybe 2" diameter is the absolute minimum?

Ray

The belt handling guide should be taken very seriously.  I suspect your spare belt will fail very quickly now that it has been bent too sharp.  Carbon Belts are even more susceptible to "back bending" if you bend it in the opposite direction of intended more than listed in the guide they can snap all the carbon in the belt without any visible physical damage, as soon as the belt experiences enough force to break the rubber, it will snap.

-ryan
Pages: [1]