• May 05, 2024, 11:04:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Side bags on 2012 S  (Read 11637 times)

cirrus pete

• View Profile
Re: Side bags on 2012 S
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »

Is there a plug and play replacement for the 2011 headlight? I ride my bike at night a lot and would love a brighter beam.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »

I think the 2011 is the same as the 2010, is it not?

I posted the information about the light mod kit I used some time back on this forum. I don't have that information in front of me now.

BTW - A word to the wise - it is illegal to not have both a high and a low beam, at least in CA. I went on the assumption that I could get away with it. SFSG  ;)

Trikester

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »

Is there a plug and play replacement for the 2011 headlight? I ride my bike at night a lot and would love a brighter beam.

I am considering the Trucklite LED phase 7. It looks bright on a review (one of my posts some time ago) and anything is likely brigther than the stock. It should fit straight into the 7" lamp housing of the 2011 or 2010 models. straight forward swap and less power usage.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »

Finally, the Givi hard cases have arrived and are installed on my 2012 S making it an all-weather commuter bike.  Here's the story.

I'd first tried to go the route of using the manufacturer of Zero's police fleet hard case mounts but Mr. Beaudry needs to learn how to properly respond to potential customers asking for an ETA; if he ever replies to my emails I'll be sure to let him know.  (In the end this turned out for the best as I saved lots of money going solo.)

What I went with was the Givi E21s mounted with Wingrack2s using the Y127 universal fitment kit with only one bolt change.  After some experimentation I found that the bags were just a bit too far out from the frame given the bolt lengths in the Y127 so I bought 2 1.25" bolts to make it work just as I wanted (the bolts are Grade 8, vehicle strength; see the photo for details.)  You can see this bolt in the photos as it is the only gold one and it allows the bags to sit close enough to the frame that the wind drag is next to nothing (see the front on photo with leg hugging the frame).

I had thought that I'd run into trouble on the right side going around the brake fluid reservoir but as you can see in the photo the fitment kit bar goes right under and behind it.

The only hitch for anyone else wanting to do the same is that it sounds like the Wingrack2 and Y127 are going away soon to be replaced with some tubular design; given the connection points on the Zero I'm not sure that will result in better stability.

bags: http://www.giviusa.com/Side-hardbags/Monokey-Lateral/E21-CRUISER
Wingrack2: http://www.giviusa.com/Fitment-kits/Optionals/N151
Y127: http://www.giviusa.com/Fitment-kits/Wingrack/Wingrack

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »

More photos of the Givi/Wingrack2/Y127 install.

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »

And a couple more.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »

Great job jpaulus. Thanks for the bag mount information, installation instructions and the photos!   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »

Fantastic jpaulus!!  ;D  Really nice looking install.

I am going to do the same.  I can find the cases  for $169, and the wingrack for $103; both free shipping.
The only place I can find the Y127 is for $117;  I'm thinking for the few bolts, nuts, rods, clamps, etc;  I can go to the hardware store for less than $40 instead?  Maybe.

I'm curious - are the bags fairly solid with the frame or do they wiggle fairly easily?
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 01:11:45 AM »

I'm thinking for the few bolts, nuts, rods, clamps, etc;  I can go to the hardware store for less than $40 instead?  Maybe.

I'm curious - are the bags fairly solid with the frame or do they wiggle fairly easily?

The frame and bags are totally solid as if they are a part of the frame because the wingracks are a single solid piece of metal combined with the fact that the angled, flat piece of metal (from the fitment kit) that is connected to the seat is bolted tightly against the back side of the wingrack which makes it immobile (see the image _DSC0102); this is actually the reason that I posted that photo and then I forgot to mention why.  Duh.  The connection down below to the passenger bolt in the frame then prevents any lateral movement.  I don't know that you'd find that key piece from the seat post that has just the right bend angle in the hardware store or the bent rod that you need.  These parts are very strong and if you could manually bend something to make it work then you'd probably not want to use it...

I'd tried some other configurations with spacers up by the seat post first and none of those experiments had the stability advantage of this configuration.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:20 AM »

Thinking about the hard bags last night, you could insert a layer of foam rubber in the bottom of the bags to cushion whatever you decide to carry from road shocks.  Also, using a cloth or nylon reusable shopping bag, with handles, would make removing multiple items much easier from the top-loading bag.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

polartek

• View Profile
Saddleman option...
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »

Saddleman Tunnel bag on mine -  Approx. $120.
Works to carry most items.  It would be nice if it expanded upward for my larger loads and the sides were a bit bigger, but it works fine for 99% of my daily needs and my quick run to the grocery store.  The propane tanks are a big big for it.  ;)
http://www.saddlemen.com/en/products/bags-luggage/seat-tail-a-pillion-bags/seat-tail-a-tunnel-bags/item/22298-ts1450r-tunnel/tail-bag-standard-tunnel

-Polartek

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: Saddleman option...
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »

Saddleman Tunnel bag on mine -  Approx. $120.
Works to carry most items.  It would be nice if it expanded upward for my larger loads and the sides were a bit bigger, but it works fine for 99% of my daily needs and my quick run to the grocery store.  The propane tanks are a big big for it.  ;)
http://www.saddlemen.com/en/products/bags-luggage/seat-tail-a-pillion-bags/seat-tail-a-tunnel-bags/item/22298-ts1450r-tunnel/tail-bag-standard-tunnel

-Polartek

Hi polartek

I am intersted ! seems nice bags. On the Internet I could not find a video or detailed photos how they fit, work, go on/off. It seems there is a quick release option that I would like to have. Can you point me to links or take some further shots. How quickly does it come off the bike ?
As well is the main section and down into the sides all one big compartment ? fit some gear (rain gear/tools) in the sides - not outsid little pockets and into the middle laptop or stuff ?

thanks
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Larry295

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »

Paulus, do you have vibrating sounds with your set up?
I have the Wingrack and a top box, but I constantly hear a vibrating/bouncing in the back. When I try to move the box around it's solid. So I am wondering where this could come from?

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »

I have no sounds at all with my setup as it is so tight.  The other thing that I like about the hard cases are that they are rain proof without extra rain covers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:38:43 PM by jpaulus »

Larry295

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »

Yes I have a hard case as well (givi) but it's a top box. The side bags won't cut it for me. You still can"t put anything in them other than tiny items. In my box I can leave my helmet or gym bag ect...
But I am bothered with that bouncing around sound and don't know where it's coming from...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6