• May 06, 2024, 11:00:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DSR ZF13.0 question  (Read 666 times)

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
DSR ZF13.0 question
« on: August 25, 2019, 04:14:43 AM »

I see a few of these with low miles are selling pretty cheap, sub 10k.

I have a 70 mile commute, about 50% of it is at freeway speeds, and the last 10 miles of it are on a steep and twisty uphill at 55-60mph.

What is the realistic range of this model? How bad is the consumption uphill?

Also, how quick will the belt snap on a gravel road?

KrazyEd

• View Profile
Re: DSR ZF13.0 question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 07:21:12 AM »

Not sure about the DSR but I took my 2016 SR from Vegas to Beatty which was around 120 miles slightly uphill most of the way minimal off throttle so almost Zero regen.
I did  this at night so that I could travel slowly and not be a hazard to anyone or get run over. I arrived with around 7 miles left. I employ every hypermiling technique that
I am able to extend range. Around town, I get over 200 mile of range. I also had the small Zero wind  screen at the time. I now have the touring screen but have not done
another attempt to see if there is an improvement. I know that Zero recommends a lowish tire pressure as do most motorcycle manufacturers. I generally go with what is
on the tire itself as it is generally higher than that recommended, not OVER pressure, just what the manufacture says. On my cars, this can add as much as 20% range.
Haven't done a back to back comparison with the SR. I have ridden it to the Ski Resort here which is around 35 miles with about 6K~7K elevation change. The bike used
about 30% going up with gentle riding and about 6% coming down. In MOST of my riding, I am in Custom mode with everything set as low as possible. If I were to be in
a more sporty ride, the power use would absolutely be more.  If you put full street tires on it, the range should improve a bit as it will have less friction.
   With that being said, I do take it to the drag strip where it uses 1%~2% per quarter mile pass which would equate to 25 to 50 miles of full throttle range, probably longer as the power would
begin to degrade rather quickly. I recently took my 2014 S out which has been heavily modified by Hollywood Electrics and the time begins to slow as soon as the bike goes
below 100% SOC.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »

I had a 70mi daily commute on the 2016 DSR. Most of the days you will make it but not all. Riding 50mph with a slick aero profile helps. Real range is about 68mi uphill Reno to Tahoe at 57mph +/- 5mph. Power Tank is extra weight and worse range efficiency uphill.

The ride home was so easy, plenty of range when you're losing elevation.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 07:50:02 AM »

I have a 70 mile commute, .......

Electric motorcycles don't Suck....
70 mile comumutes SUCK!!

On my 06 DSR (ZF 13) I've gone as far as 112 miles with 13% left and as short as 45 miles with very little left.
These bikes will go far or fast (relatively) but not simultaneously. 
35 freeway miles will tax your battery & you may not have enough range/miles left especially fast uphill ones to finish your commute.

How I achieved 112 miles was to keep the speed below 50 mph. 
I don't see this as being practical on a daily basis.
Perhaps a Power Tank would make this work for you in a practical manner.

Bare in mind that Shadow's commute was around a mile high on average & altitude greatly effects air density & thus mileage as does air temperature (potentially colder on his commute then the average).
So your mileage will indeed very. 

Fingers crossed for solid State battery's & what they will bring to the table. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 05:18:38 AM »

I see a few of these with low miles are selling pretty cheap, sub 10k.

I have a 70 mile commute, about 50% of it is at freeway speeds, and the last 10 miles of it are on a steep and twisty uphill at 55-60mph.

What is the realistic range of this model? How bad is the consumption uphill?

I do a 58mi one-way commute 5 days a week on my '16 DS, with a similar mix of speeds as you've described for your commute (mine is ~35-40miles at 65-75mph and the rest at 35-50mph).  The percentage of battery remaining after my one-way trip varies from 15-40%, depending mostly on how hard I was pushing it on the freeway section and whether or not I had a big head wind.  For the steep incline @55-60mph, I'd expect to get the same/similar range to what you might see at 70-80mph on a flat road w/o a head wind (45-70miles range, depending on how steep that incline actually is).  What's the average speed you'd be traveling for the remaining 25miles? 

If I HAD to give an answer, I'd say that Shadow is right: on most days, you'd be able to make it with 5-25% in reserve.  However, there WILL be the occasional day (colder temps and/or stronger headwinds) that you won't make it without reducing your speed on the freeway segment.

I regularly do longer rides of 75-100 miles, but on those days I have to limit my speeds to 50-55mph with the occasional burst to 70mph only when it's really necessary.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »

IMO,  that is like asking when you will get your next flat tire. Perhaps never, perhaps in the next half mile. Your guess is as good as anybody's.

But what year is the bike? 2016 and before had a mickey-mouse belt. It is a thicker belt on the 2017 and later models.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »

I see both for sale.. I'm willing to wait a bit especially since prices are coming down in the winter. Also gives me an excuse to ride my Grom.

Can 2016 belt be upgraded?

How does the basic charger work? Will it charge at 1kW off a Level 2? Seems like there is a J1772 adapter that Zero sells for it.

I have a motorcycle spot with a J1772 at work. Only problem is that it's kind of expensive at 27c/kWh but I can use it if needed.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »

I see both for sale.. I'm willing to wait a bit especially since prices are coming down in the winter. Also gives me an excuse to ride my Grom.

Can 2016 belt be upgraded?
Yes, there is an upgrade kit available.

How does the basic charger work? Will it charge at 1kW off a Level 2? Seems like there is a J1772 adapter that Zero sells for it.
Any voltage from around 90 to 250 VAC. The output wattage stays about the same as  the voltage goes higher (with the built-in charger) because the draw current goes down in proportion as they were designed that way.   So it has no level two charging. Same speed charging at 240 VAC as 120 VAC. The J-1772 adapter is only for when you cannot find a 120 VAC outlet on the road, but can find a J-station.

I have a motorcycle spot with a J1772 at work. Only problem is that it's kind of expensive at 27c/kWh but I can use it if needed.
Just use 120 VAC if you're going to use the on-board or even if adding the Zero Delta Quick chargers (requires different outlets as each draws around 13 amps at 120 VAC). There is no level two charging unless you go aftermarket as I did. I can charge my Zero SR at above 8 KW.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:35:41 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE